Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread 2024/25 - Teamtalk/Transfers/Gossip Mod Note in OP 26.09.24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I don't mind pre season but going all over the world has rarely set us up to start well, we are notorious for bad starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fairly idiotic post imo. I think most people realise that pre season tours are essential on the commercial front, at a minimum. It's the shoe horning in of 2 additional games before the US tour that is rightly questioned when you look at the likes of City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea who all play their first pre season game at that US Tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Laurie Whitwell says this morning that we're trying to sign Yoro or De Ligt, not both. So it seems we're waiting on Yoro as first priority to make up his mind, which is why the De Ligt deal has slowed down.

Pretty risky IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yoro would be off to Madrid in a few years even if he does pick us now. We'd only be developing him for Madrid. I'd much rather MDL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That would be so bad. Yoro is still 18 and while I'm sure he is very talented, at the higher end of the expectations scale you'd be looking at him being at Saliba's level in 3 or 4 years.

The squad is lacking players who have played multiple seasons of football at a decent level, not more developmental players.

• Advertisement

Yoro clearly wants Madrid, we shouldn't be chasing a player who's heart isn't in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Quags

While it has been nice to see us seemingly working on a few different deals at once and possibly playing one deal of the other... the focus on CB's in this is more than a bit strange imo.

We've lost a promising young CB due to it imo. I think Willy rightly didn't sign a new deal as it seemed clear his development wasn't a priority. That's hard to take when we're chasing another young CB for 4 or 5 times the fee we got for him, and that player doesn't seem to really want to come to us.

Chasing all these CBs also leaves us in a fairly weak position in terms of trying to sell the likes of Lindelof and Maguire. Other clubs know we will need to get rid of one or two of them if we do sign a couple more.

All that against the worrying backdrop that we don't have a LB at the club who we can stay fit and signing a much needed 2nd striker, who doesn't score many goals.

Plenty of potential positives with the Zirkzee deal I know, and Ineos can only really be judged at the end of the window, but I'm not getting too excited just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Just go for DeLigt and sort it if that's the case, depending on finances move onto Inacio or Todibo (just don't play him in Europe)

As for pre season fixtures I'm not bothered about results when it's essentially our yths playing a top side in Norway in midst of their own season. My only issues these days are out pre season games always involve arsenal and Liverpool in the US now, would prefer to play non English teams in pre season but that's just me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Is it an option to but Todibo but not play him in Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Didn't we have a good pre season last year and look how our league performances turned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I don't believe so. One of the conditions that allows us and Nice to play in the same competition this year is no transfers I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

i saw someone theorize Todd Boehly style that the only way to get Todibo would be for Todibo/Nice to decide to buy out his contract and make him a free agent before we then offer said free agent a contract that just so happens to have a signing on fee that covers whatever amount he lost in his buyout from Nice.

We could also buy out the contracts of Casemiro/Sancho similarly before they find themselves coincidentally at Nice aswell with remarkably similar contract terms to what they currently have.

Like a new signing.... just not a very good one.

Maybe playing with the likes of Zirkzee will help show us a little bit more from him. Let's not hold our breaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

The alternative to negotiating the deals in this manner is to sell first though, where the clubs we then try to buy from will know we now desperately need reinforcements and have additional funds, so we lose that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

And likely get significant fines from Uefa, as well as possible company law issues for club management, for constructing false deals to subvert regulations.

Haha get fecked Mayor 😂

Seen this also but i did see the complete opposition also where his team doesn't want him to join at all

And this

• Advertisement

So he prefers us now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

As critical as I’ve been on ETH, he’s handled this situation perfectly. He’s shown with Rashford that you’ll get chances, provided you put a shift in, even if your not producing, you still get a chance. JS must have been a nightmare to work with, given the fact he was first sent off to work on himself, and then loaned out.

JS is a big problem for us, he’s talented, and exactly the type of player we are crying out for, but he’s on huge money, he’s happy not to play, and no one wants him for the money he’s on. You need a strong personality to stand up to a situation like that.

With ETH staying, at least JS won’t get a free pass, he knows what’s expected of him, so either do what the manger says, or continue to waste your talent, and blame everyone else, but yourself. It’s infuriating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

This kid has the makings of a world class player. Hopefully he doesn't get run into the effin ground next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Not sure who he prefers but for a potential €62m signing with one year left on his contract, he would want to have a great season. You’re paying to have him now and not risk fighting with others in January to get him on a free (stop me if you’ve seen this one before, Mason Mount) but as others have said, if he would prefer to play for someone else then what’s the point.

I’d be disappointed if we scrap the de Ligt plan to get him. The plan is reportedly to sign two but apparently not both Yoro and MdL so I don’t know. Are they going to break the bank for Branthwaite later on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

IIt's Absolutely paramount that we get a proper DM alongside him for the coming season, this kid has a massive season ahead of him if this happens

Regarding Yoro, irrespective of him preferring Madrid if we sign him he will act professional play to his potential and if he does we will get a few years out of him and Madrid will come calling then. I'm sure Ronaldo always wanted to play for Madrid when he signed and we got a number of successful years from him in a red jersey first. You never know he might like Manchester and stay for his whole career.

Case and point with Garnacho, we nurtured and developed him but there's no way down the line he'll turn down Madrid or Barcelona... It's inevitable but until then we benefit from the player and their potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Probably isn't a single player in the current squad that wouldn't have their head turned if Madrid came knocking.

I wouldn't stop persuing him because he really wanted to go to Madrid but definitely a deadline needs to be put on it. Over a week since the bid was accepted I think. He needs to decide soon or move on. I'd imagine the current board have a deadline in their heads if they haven't told Lille yet.

He wouldn't be available until after the Olympics aswell because he has been called up by France.

• Advertisement

He only made the provisional squad, didn't make the final cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

If he fulfills his potential and we get a huge money signing off him, then yeah for sure cash in and move on if there's rumbles on his side.

So early days though and its on him to make Madrid chase him which would only benefit us, he does have that bit of Madrid'ness about him.

I think he's Basque country and we got him from Athletico when he was young, sure that could mean nothing if Madrid call.

Madrid are so well ahead though with young talent that they are unreal and the youngsters haven't even hit the prime yet.

Cash is king tho.

Hope he stays for years to come tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yoro is a funny one, does anyone know if he's actually any good?

Are we just trying to sign him because we see Madrid interested and we're presuming he must be good? Nothing would surprise as we've made that mistake in the past.

£52 million+ seems a lot of money for an 18 year old defender who will be free next season.If he really wants us over Madrid then why not wait for next season when he's free?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If Ineos are still working off that Glazer/Woodward philosophy, we might as well give up now.

Wednesdays Fart

THE TELEGRAPH

Manchester United will be entitled to 50 per cent of the profits of any future sale of Mason Greenwood as part of his proposed £26.6m transfer to Marseille.

Fulham had a bid for Scott McTominay rejected earlier in the summer as they look for midfield reinforcements following the departure of Joao Palhinha for Bayern but no one has yet met United's valuation of up to £30m.

DAILY MAIL

Manchester United would be "highly unlikely" to swoop for Gareth Southgate - even if the club were to endure a disastrous start to the season and part ways with Erik ten Hag.

Manchester United are believed to have had a £52m offer for Lille's Leny Yoro accepted by the player's club, according to reports.

DAILY MIRROR

Erik ten Hag has broken his silence on mending his feud with Jadon Sancho - but refused to say if the winger has a future at Manchester United.

THE SUN

Galatasaray's vice-president has revealed they are interested in signing Manchester United star Scott McTominay and Tottenham man Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg.

DAILY STAR

Gareth Southgate wants the Manchester United job leaving Erik ten Hag having to prove Sir Jim Ratcliffe wrong.

I mean he's highly rated but Mainoo and Garnacho are highly rated and if United go into the season with them as first choice again it's going to go as badly as the last. The profile of players that should be signed are the Zirkzee and De Ligts. 2-3 years away from what should be their peak. Actual adults are at a premium in the squad and some are a bit long in the tooth already.

United are at a crossroads where they could look to be a big team again or could be the English Borussia Dortmund. Go here play a few games from 18-22 and move to a serious team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

If Utd are willing to spend that much on Yoro is there not an argument to be made for Braintwaithe who is at least acclimatised to the PL so there would be no bedding in period with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd prefer MDL over Yoro.
    Yoro is potentially an elite defender. Potentially the best CB of his generation - but he isn;t that now. He would be good now, but not great (imo). Him and Martinez as first choices is maybe an issue. I think MDL is more NOW ready.

If you sign Yoro, it is with the plan that United will be competing for a title in 3/4 years - and that a 22yo Yoro will (hopefully) be elite and a key part of that team. And my fear is that by teh time United are rady to complete, and he is rady to be akey part of it, he will be wanted by Madrid, and he will push for that move then.

If it was Brantwaite i would be more for it, because I would have faith he'd be here long term. But Yoro? he'd be gone before his first contract was up (imo).

THere is also the arguement that for where United are now, looking at younger players that could either be part of a key team or be sold at a massive profit, is right. Maybe Yoro gets us closer to competing, then selling him provides a hige cash boost and that boost pushes us further (ie. Coutinho for eg)

I think MDL would be much better than Yoro this season, and (assuming he works out) I think you get 5/6 years out of him easily, without the worry of him demanding a move (imo).

If we signed MDL and Yoro, great. (forgeetting about costs for the moment), but as it is I don't think we are ready for a Yoro signing, when he would be costing so much. If Varane had stayed, I would be more up on Yoro, but as it is we need to sign a first choice defender and i don't think Yoro is the right pick for that (assuming we only buy 1 cb)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Zirkzee's weekly wage is supposedly in the £55-60k range. In the past United have been throwing £100k at any new signing without any consideration.

Claiming that every bit of tabloid fodder means Ineos are no different to the last regime is pure timewasting nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

didn't we already bid 50m-ish for JB? Everton wanted 70m and now they don't have to sell anyway.

Looks like it’s happening then

I wouldn’t say it’s a Glazer/Woodward philosophy as it’s a €50m up front signing of supposedly one of the best young talents around. Someone who could be sold on for a healthy profit a number of years down the line, which is the opposite of a Glazer/Woodward signing. It looks like smart business from a financial POV compared to Varane for example so definitely not something that would have been a way of the past.

He played a full season for Lille last year so he’s probably capable of doing that for us this year. No idea how good he is as I’ve not seen him play - wouldn’t expect anyone here to have either really but we’ve heard the stories of how we never took the chance on signing these really good youngsters that were identified by the scouts and they’ve went on to do well at other clubs so it looks to be a change in that regard.

• Advertisement

Wow.

Surprising. Still lets see how it works out.

It not a move i'll criticise INEOS for. Its a gamble, but ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Wow that's happened quickly! I'm agree with Mitch that MDL is more of a right now signing but I'm not gonna complain over us signing potentially the best young CB in world football according to those who'd know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Branthwaite is going to cost £100million or more. Everton have no reason to sell hence why United said no and moved onto other targets. It's smart business.

We're a million miles away from Woodward, etc of years gone by. We'd have spent all Summer on Branthwaite to sign him for £100million and get no one else.

Yoro is hugely thought of and I'd assume we're going after him due to Ashworth and team wanting him, not because Real Madrid want him as a poster said above.

We can be sceptical of United due to previous transfer windows but we have football people in charge of the football side of things. These lads know what they're doing. We may not see immediate success and they'll get some things wrong but I'm fully on board of trusting the process, and I hate that cliche.

Yeah I agree. Not something to complain about at all and if we got both it would be great but it seems that the second CB is going to be left footed. Which makes sense. I was just really excited for de Ligt 😅

I believe his wages are in the 100k range. The 55k value is, i believe, the net value of his contract. Euro reports will generally talk about wages in terms of take home pay, we always talk gross pay.

Wow I'm shocked, I was convinced he was Real bound!

De Ligt himself should be a red flag to this transfer tbh. The best young CB some had ever seen and not hit the heights expected after a big fee.

Depending on the rest of the ins and outs at the CB position we will ultimately see what's going on with this one, if it's him to play with Martinez every game I'd worry but if he's the 3rd CB and Lindelof is sold and De Ligt comes in then that could be CB sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

True but in the same respect, I agree with the poster that in the Woodward era, Zirkzee would have been getting double that ie £100k net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

de ligt deal most likely off. i still think we need a starting CB cos i dont think yoro is ready to start yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement