Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer 2024 Competition (Nationwide)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

Yeah absolutely agree on that part, I'm in a role that suits my own skills right now however and I'm bored as beans… Barely enough work to get through half a day, no COs so I can't build any kind of experience up for applying to HEO, etc. Lovely people here and very understanding but I'd love something busier and even a little bit of stress!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MaryKaye79

you’re right - have to be a grade lower than EO to apply for interdepartmental

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Totally Red

Wonder when in August will the tests be out amd what company are issuing them

• Registered Users Posts: 34,880 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Going to be awkward for a lot of people with holidays I imagine. OH has put in for this…

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭shmeee

Assessment is done online so should be no issue getting it done in the timeframe allocated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Really? I thought you can also chose interdepartmental if you're the same grade. Is there anything official on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MaryKaye79

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Where does it say this? Not questioning you but I tried to find it on print and couldn't see it. But probably just me missing it

• Registered Users Posts: 11 VANS_95

Interdepartmental competitions are always classed as promotion.

I think it mentions it in the booklet. Something along the lines of an individual currently serving at the grade of EO or equivalent cannot apply for this role. This is due to the fact you would be eligible for open competitions and mobility.

This is an example of this on a HEO comp. It is found under eligibility.

“a) be serving in an established, unestablished or acting (see para 4.e) below) capacity in the
    Civil Service in a grade below that of Higher Executive Officer.”

HEO has never been, and still isn't, a grade with open recruitment though so not really comparable.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 VANS_95

Incorrect. It has been open recruitment recently with various departments. One has been the data protection commission & the open HEO nationwide competition for an auditor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 FunkyChicken24

The one thing I would say though is, if you have lots of free time right now then use that time to do lots of EO level courses on One Learning. There are lots of Management courses that are open to you now that wouldn't have been when you were a CO so take the opportunity now before trying to move to a busier role.

You can also say to your manager that you are interested in getting more diverse experience and as you aren't very busy to keep you in mind for any extra jobs that come up, that could work in your favour later. After you have finished probation as EO you can ask to move to a different team where you might have more work and/or direct reports but unless you hate your current manager/team then you might be better off staying where you are and finishing probation. I am pretty sure that the probation clock would start again if you moved to a new EO role but I may be wrong on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

From DPENDR circular 11/2024

1. On the closing date of Tuesday 16th July 2024, to be eligible for consideration, a candidate
      must satisfy all of the following requirements:
      a) Be serving in a permanent, temporary or acting capacity in the Civil Service in a grade below that of Executive Officer or equivalent. Officers serving in an acting capacity at Executive Officer or equivalent level whose substantive grade is below that of Executive Officer or
      equivalent are eligible to compete in this competition.

Circular available to view here https://www.gov.ie/en/circular/0587f-dpendr-circular-11-of-2024-interdepartmental-competition-for-promotion-to-executive-officer-nationwide-2024/

I stand very slightly corrected 😎 but roughly how many vacancies is that?

I wonder how many of those appointed were not already serving civil servants.

I'll definitely give One Learning another look, I did everything it had as a CO honestly LOL.

Your probation doesn't restart if you move to another EO role but my Department's HR said they can't consider internal move requests before 2 years in my current role unless the SecGen requests it so this competition seems a no brainer, my team is nice so I'm hoping to stay here until the start of February when probation is up but honestly I live payday to payday on EO wages and need the management experience so I can hopefully get up to HEO to be somewhat more comfortable financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mytimetoshine22

Hey im reckoning around the 8th and a guess is sova ive been doing lots of practice on job test .prep .uk and practice appitude test and really hoping to get it this time .

Need to get out of my current role and also feel like its my time

Best luck to every one else

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Surprised no internal movement option for two years in the same dept tbh. Are there different units in your division that might be busier? Should be easy enough to move units once you're staying in the same division, a few in mine have done it.

Re courses, some recently came up on one learning that might be useful for capabilities for heo - couple of project management ones, presentation, etc. I've got a team of COs now but have had my heo sign off on those courses for extra heo level experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 9 summersun23

Wonder when they will kick off the online tests. Not a big fan of them, although at least they got rid of the dreaded eTray

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Araic

@summersun23 Is it just verbal and numerical reasoning?

I'd say 2nd or 3rd week of August, open for a week with results in Mid September then first interviews start of October with the first people starting before Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 summersun23

@Araic yeah there's the verbal reasoning, the numerical one and the situational one ( they give u a situation and u decide the best course of action. The numerical u have to pass but usually only the other 2 count for your score.

Advertisement