Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many days are you free from booze?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭pretty boy floyd

1218 here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm actively drinking, but I do keep a log of the days when I have had no alcohol.

7 days so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

9 months and it’s easy. Watching Andrew Hubermans podcast on what alcohol does to the body really opened my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JackDuckworth89

776 days today off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭NSAman

feb 23 1994.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭AyeGer

6475 days for me. I can’t see myself ever drinking again.

There is a useful calculator online to calculate the number of days since a particular date.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

399 months, 17 days .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

0.1days and counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭jj880

Had a relation emigrating few months ago and fell off the wagon. Was off it 1 year and 3 months before that. All it did was make me more certain I dont want to drink. So 4 months and 4 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

https://howlongagogo.com/date/1998/december/8

9351 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

About 6 weeks. Drinking the non alcoholic stuff since but getting bored of it now to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ekkinak

Good stuff, keep it up.

It doesn't matter how many attempts there are.

You will overtake the last one, sounds like you know you're one of the people who can't drink and it's a win win, I'm glad to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,761 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just wondering for those that are not alcoholics what was the reason made you give up ,

Iv thought about knocking it on the head for years & can go months without but seem to always give in & have a few on occasion like weddings or Christmas or what not,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭AyeGer

One of the guys who convinced me to go off the drink back in 2006 was off it 20 years and went back on it. When I heard he was back on it and was struggling to get off it again it shook me. Took him 3 years to get back off it again. Thankfully he is back off it a while now. Stories like that put the fear in me and strengthen my resolve to stay well away from it.

Had great times with drink as a teen and into my 20s. Was never an acoholic but would have drank every weekend 2 or 3 nights heavily. When I turned 30 I couldn't really handle it anymore. Always ended up a drunken mess, insulting someone or being hung over and argumentative for days. Slowly got worse until I had enough at age 41. Best thing I ever did. Should have quit when I was 31. Helped in a lot of ways with my parents, wife and son. Everyone a lot happier in general around me. Buying myself nice tech as a reward every 3 / 6 months Im off it helps keep me sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Top ten regrets/mistakes of my life all involved far too much alcohol. I never knew when I'd had enough. Came to a head in May and I haven't touched a drop since nor will I again.

I found it really brought my mood down - not just the next day or days either. I'd get very dark, gloomy feelings at the end of the night. I nearly always drank too much when out in pubs. The only way I could prevent this was to just quit completely.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

I remember in my early 20s having great times when drinking in pubs and clubs. That's a distant memory now - haven't really enjoyed booze in a very long time.

• Advertisement

Yeah I see lads that can have 3 or 4 pints of stout then go home. Fair play to them because if I have 3 I want 10, a box of smokes, whiskeys and out until 3 / 4 / 5am. No middle ground at all. Only option for me is to stay off it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ekkinak

I'm in my early 50s now

I started thinking about quitting in my late 20s and I quit a few times in the last twenty years, each time longer than the previous (6 months, then 1 year, then 2.5 years)

so I suppose I've known for a good while now that it's just not a good idea to artificially alter my mood, it's upsetting, would take days to recover

What I ended up focussing on was what was the reason that got me back drinking each time and it was the drinking with old friends thing, but I broke that down, analysed it and worked out that my beverage didn't need to be alcoholic for me to be out with friends having a good time. (And you go home at the right time and wake up fine, it's a win win)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Pistachio19

While I wasn't an alcoholic, I did give too much thought to alcohol. I love it but didn't like the hangovers and the moods. I'd be hoping my husband would suggest having a drink mid week but I'd rarely suggest it myself. I drank every weekend Fri-Sun and then Thurs became part of that. I would have half a bottle of wine or a few cans, nothing major I suppose, but it was becoming a habit and as there was enough alcoholism in the family it was always at the back of my mind how easy it would be to end up drinking too much.

In 2016, after drinking 5 nights in a row and failing to be able to get off the couch to bring my 4 year old to the cinema as promised, I knocked it on the head. Haven't touched a drop in 2817 days. I don't miss it now. I often dream I am drinking and am always annoyed with myself in the dream, and relieved when I wake up. I can smell a glass of red wine across a room but the temptation isn't there to drink for now.

Yes, fair play to them. 3 or 4 would be fine and I'd love to be certain that that's all I'd ever have on a night out — alas it almost never happened, only very seldomly. It's like when I have 2 or 3, a switch goes and I just want more and more pints.

Advertisement