Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Beautiful morning in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cloudy misty start in Leitrim. 12C.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah I noticed that too. Any reason why?

For example Sunday was forecast to be quite wet in Dublin but it was dry and sunny.

Same happened a number of times in Galway. I usually find the Met app accurate for rain but it has been wrong a lot in July.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Absolutely cracking morning in Dublin- now this is summer!
    On the way to Wexford so I’ll see if it’s as good there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mrsnrub2.0

This is actually the first morning of summer in Dublin. Warm, humid and no wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Now this is more like it, great morning all round. Calm, noctilucent clouds, lovely sunrise in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Gorgeous drive this morning to the airport from Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

every drive to the airport is gorgeous. Enjoy your holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Needmoretea

Feels like the first proper summery morning in Dublin. I really hope it sticks around! Fantastic pictures @sryanbruen!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Being in Ireland was my holiday 😂

Overall I'd say the three weeks I had at home was pretty ok. Dull and cloudy but there wasn't really much rain. I could be active enough so all in all, a success

But more mornings like this morning would have been good too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gilly1910

Likewise here in Dublin, my cycle in this morning was actually a pleasure, beautiful blue sky, and some heat. However any notions I had of a rare sunny day have quicky been dashed, as it's starting to cloud over quite rapidly out there unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭fits

it’s been nice here in the south east for the last 24 hours too. Pleasant evening and morning and a lovely temperature. We don’t want much. Just a bit more of this. I cleaned out some water troughs which is usually a cold and unpleasant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Dare I say it, but this summer is not too bad so far. The problem in June was it was chilly but dry. July so far is pleasantly warm despite not yet reaching 25C, but there's no constant deluges like last year.

The summer is more regionalised, with the weather showing variations each day from east to West or north to south. What's probably missing this year meteorologicaly speaking, is the anticyclone sitting over Ireland giving 7 to 10 days of clear blue skies and high temperatures. We might get it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭pureza

Still quite sunny down here in south Wicklow and nudging 19c at 10am,which is very pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

sorry Rob but I can’t agree with the summer being described as not to bad so far! Update from here sun is gone clouds are back and hoodie back on again. It lasted all of about 2 hours this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Lovely calm evening in Cobh on the 16th, but woke up to some fog this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gilly1910

Dare I disagree, but in my humble opinion this so called Summer has been a s**t show, unless of course the bar is set so low with some people when it comes to the definition of a Summer, that they will accept literally anything. I don't have any great expectations for Irish Summers, but a few weeks of glorious sunshine is surely not asking for too much. We are rapidly approaching August which is generally not good in Ireland or it certainly hasn't been for years anyway, so unless August surprises us all, we are looking at another disaster of a Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Yeah can’t agree with this summer being not too bad.
    I think it’s been brutal so far- quite cold and there’s has been many days with some sort of rain.
    I talk to lots of farmers and landowners along the east coast any they have all pretty much said the same thing, with a lot giving out about the rate of grass growth due to the lack of warmth in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

**** Summer. The cloud cover is killing us this July. With a mix of wind and rain also thrown in. Must be one of the worst summers in the last 15 years.

Anyway, as predicted, cloud is rolling in, warm though. 19c No Kildare

I'm morphing into Gonzo here with my last few nagative posts 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I dont think I've ever seen such relentless cloud as I've seen this Summer. Although I will admit in Kerry where I live particularly very far South Kerry we have had our share of sunnier days. But overall there is a lot of heavy thick cloud, not the fluffy white clouds that give you temporary relief from sun but this thick blanket of cloud. I find it quite oppressive mentally.

Also considering we are in the throes of global warming its been really quite chilly, rarely a day I don't need a jumper. I haven't put away the woolies at all this Summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Absolute dog muck this morning, gloomy grey, drizzle and stuck at 15 degrees, next 7 days another write off across the west,transitioning from cool and dry to mild and wet with heavy deluges.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Needmoretea

Spoke too soon... The clouds are back... Grrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think it’s been quite location dependent. Think the west and north are faring comparatively better than east and south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Looks like the forecast has changed for Sat? Met has the rain mostly overnight now and clearing Cork by early morning leaving a fairly pleasant day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It has been very dry since May and that brings so much more opportunities than cloudy + wet. For example, golfing in rain is no fun. I have really enjoyed the last 3 months and the 'cold' never bothered me. More sun would be nice but the key is to maximise the outdoor time when it is sunny. I have approx 25 summers left going by average lifespan so I certainly am not going to waste them looking out the window waiting for the 🌞 to come out.

38C and sunny in Athens at the moment. Stuff of nightmares for me.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Cloudy now in Dublin unfortunately but dry at least. Hopefully that cloud will blow over.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Sorry for rattling anyone's cage, I was nearly ate without salt there 🤭.

The weather is very localised this year so far. I've been lucky in my location of north meath near kells.

Monday 8th July was glorious blue skies with 22C

Tuesday 9th and Wednesday 10th wet and cool 15C

Thursday 11th dry sunny breaks 16C

Friday 12th and Saturday 13th dry and sunny with warm sunshine 19 to 21C

Sunday 14th dry and warm with sunshine 21C

Monday 15th dry sunny spells 19C.

Today, as I type, is dry with warm hazy sunshine .

I'm a small beef farmer and grass growth has been curtailed due to low temperatures and low rainfall in places during June. The ground is rock hard and dust dry with me at the moment. This time last year we were all experiencing a monsoon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Certainly no sun here in Meath, just slate grey cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

A very mild morning with the sun in and out N Kildare 19c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Dublin Airport has finally reached 20C for the first time since June 26th. Casement hasn't reached 20C but could do later on.

This is the joint latest first 20C of July at Dublin Airport since 2004, alongside 2012. This July actually looks quite similar to 2004 statistically, if August also followed 2004, then not many people will be happy here 🙈

Luckily, that's not how the weather works!

Advertisement