Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2024 - this time it’s personal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

he explained it himself, they've got better bikes than Pantani!

did I see one of his domestiques passing him a can of coke on Sunday? That's the secret weapon… (I don't know how anyone could drink a can of coke while cycling hard, I'd be burping for the rest of the day).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

How hard was that climb raced before? Visma we're drilling it right from the very start, Jonas launched from more than 10km out and gave Tadej a free ride until the 4km mark. I didn't check the footage but I doubt Pantani et al rode it completely on the limit for as long. I'd also be inclined to think Pogs estimated weight is off by several kg. He looks far leaner this year. I doubt he's much more than 62-63kg definitely not 67kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭G1032

Disaster for Girmay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Thud

Sam seemed to have plenty time and space to go there but only tried ro kick with about 30ms to go when it was all over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭happytramp

Hopefully Girmay has enough of a lead in the green jersey comp for that crash not to be too costly for him.

Better from Sam... 4th by the looks of things.

• Advertisement

Not much between him and Philipsen now😬

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭RoscommonHero

Sam was in a good position there, no excuses this team, just didn't have the acceleration or confidence or legs perhaps, he is in OK form but not top form

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

everyone better than me is doped

everyone worse needs to train harder

Lot of lads on the juice it would seem 👀😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I suppose both will hope to stay involved to the end on Thursday. Can't see any other day for them to nab big points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I don't everyone better than me is doped. Quite frankly, there aren't enough drugs in the world for that to be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭ottolwinner

it’s an amazing sport. I know it has its cynics and that’s understandable. There’s history there that can’t be denied. I’ve worked in the sport at every level, I’ve no doubt there are many who dope but I don’t think they are the ones making the headlines now.

Todays stage finish. Anyone sport the severed levers on Girmays bike? Some impact to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

tomorrow stage looks like a breakaway day so it will prob be won by a GC rider! I will go for Healy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Wanty will do everything they can to make sure big safe breaks go every day. The only exception is stage 19 where the bonus sprint is too early to be anything but a bunch sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Nermal

Knocking 10% off the 'record' is the equivalent of a 1:49 marathon…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Shame for Girmay but it has at least made the intermediate sprints a bit more interesting, no more tapping away without breaks trying to go!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pantanis gearing was 54/44 and 11-23 and had at least 20km more climbing on that day before the last climb. It was a shorter stage with less recovery between climbs and came after a monstrous day, too. Like this year they went up the tourmalet the day before but also in the aubisque. Pantani launched himself 2 days in a row, too late in the first.

They also had unseasonably cold weather and the incredible heat.

Easy to take your point of view and look at the climb in isolation, but look at the entire context of the climbs and what came before etc

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

44x23 - wow that's some big gearing ⚙️

I know the science and the training etc were different but the changes since are massive

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Doping talk to the doping thread, leave it out if here, that includes subtle/not subtle insinuations. Next person to do so takes a holiday from this thread for the rest of the tour. PM me if you need clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

OMG, the commentators today mentioned they are trialling banning team radio in a couple of races next year. Thought it would never happen, major win for the fans if they trial is successful and they totally ban it.

There is no unpredictability left because of radio, only when someone cracks is there a bit of tension now, otherwise every rider in every team is fully aware of everything going on and no chances are taken. Hopefully a ban or at least major curtailment of the number of support cars is next.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This would be awesome, or awful, it's hard to tell, certainly worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It could really go the way of even more controlled, as they won't take any risks with who's in front. I'd say only stages it may make a difference are potential crosswinds, where teams won't have the information from ahead.

But typical of the UCI to ban it just when we're beginning to get some interesting, or at least added value, from broadcasts of it a bit like F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I was just going to say exactly the same thing! Quite possible they'll trial a ban, it'll end up making the racing different but not necessarily more enjoyable, and it will require a bit of tweaking. Possibly something like one rider per squad is allowed a radio to team car, which would introduce an element of tactical nous… who do you nominate, for what reason/ to what aim.

It's definitely worth playing around with though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,743 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Does the fact they already ban coms in the Olympics not act as the trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Sam posted on Instagram, says he’s been struggling with stomach issues and dehydration

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Thud

i think there is merit in keeping it for non actical issues like mechanical and medical, you don't want riders losing a tour because they had to wait for a replacement bike etc but maybe you could replace that with a non verbal beacon button of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ban earpieces - you can send a message to the team car but not receive instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

The potential for crosswind echelons should be banned from the commentators vocabulary unless it's properly strong. It's the hope that will kill you.

It seems like a very long time since there was a proper crosswind stage.

In fairness the start was crazy and the wind did play havoc. They did say crosswinds would probably cease to be a factor after about 30km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

We have had some great races with race radios and we've had some absolute dreck where radios weren't permitted so I'm not sure that a ban is the panacea to boring racing we might think it is. What will happen is that "road captains" will become trendy again and the Daddy Warbucks big-budget teams will be able to afford the best ones.

I'd be for banning any devices that receive live race coverage in the team cars (for a variety of reasons) or having any race broadcaster have a 30-60 second delay in transmission so the team car is not seeing the live situation.

(While I'm at it, I'm also in favour of banning TT bikes in stage races, but that is for another day).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lissard

Sam out the back before a grupetto formed - 110k to go. Can't see this ending well.

Advertisement