Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread 2024/25 - Teamtalk/Transfers/Gossip Mod Note in OP 26.09.24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The reports say that they want a left footed CB to come in alongside Yoro or de Ligt so I don’t think it’s going to be both. Now maybe they change tack because Branthwaite is unattainable and there is no other left footed (or someone very comfortable on the left side) CB on their list, I guess they could sign both in that scenario.

5 year deal plus the option of 1 year is what is being reported so at least the resale value is secured if it comes to that down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

So where does it leave us if we do get Yoro? We're hardly going to be spending another 50m on the likes of MDL or Brantwaite are we?

Unless we can offload Maguire or Lindelof to offset that... but even still, that would leave one of the two new big CB signings as a squad player / not starting. I can't see MDL or Brantwaite wanting to make move where they're not seen as first choice.

Or is it the case that if we get Yoro, himself and Martinez are first choice and we'll make do with Maguire, Lidelof and Evans (and maybe Shaw as LCB as well if he's not injured) as back-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

From the Ornstein piece "The Premier League team maintain their admiration for options such as Matthijs de Ligt of Bayern Munich and Everton’s Jarrad Branthwaite, although a further arrival is likely to depend on departures to create finance and squad space.".

I'd assume we'd be looking for suitors for Lindelof or possibly Maguire now. The 10m we got for Kwambala essentially covers the Yorro fee, it was pure profit as he was an academy player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Lindelof has been trying to leave for more playing time since last summer. It's only mid-July though, plenty of time for more deals. We have enough CBs to start the season at least.

I guess Yoro realised a move to a big club now (with a big pay rise) was preferable to a maybe move next summer, that could fall through for all sorts of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I seen we were linked to Hancko at Feyenoord who is left footed but looks like he's off to Atletico Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

That makes a bit more sense.

Still a big saving on Martial, and better than what they've offered the likes of Antony recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,335 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think we need to sell Maguire or Lindelof, and get inanother CB. Maguire out and MDL in would be sensible, imo.

A defender going to Madrid? Pfft, we can get him easy. ;-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I know absolutely nothing about Yoro and have never seen him play. I know he is very highly rated and was coveted by Liverpool and Madrid. Considering where we are overall vs the aforementioned teams, the move can be considered a bit of a coup. Obviously alot ovlf caveats attach, the French league is a step behind the PL but all things considered, an exciting acquisition if it goes through.

Assume he would be available immediately to link up with the squad?

Re another centre half, it wouldn't surprise me if the Todibo deal happened instead of MDL or JB. Likely significantly cheaper than both in terms of fee and wages. Maybe a January move if Lille or us don't progress out of the EL group.

I don't give two shytes what anyone says but it's a very exciting time to be a United fan after years of mismanagement. Considering INEOS have only been involved a wet week, huge strides have being made already.

Choo choo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

This feels like the type of signing we have not pursued since the Fergie days.

He's clearly been identified by the Scouts and backed by the footballing execs. Is there a chance he will move to Madrid in 4 years? Yes, but the landscape can change quickly in football. You can't do business based on if Madrid might come calling.

It's a very positive sign from the new team that we are going after this hard in my opinion. I still think there is a decent chance Madrid make a move but lets wait and see.

I suppose my question was more focused on the playing time of the second CB signing, rather than the finances.

Assuming we could offload Maguire or Lindelof... are MDL or Branthwaite really signing if they are seen as backup to Martinez and Yoro?

I could certainly see MDL's interest cooling in the deal. I mean, he's wanting to leave Bayern to get away from the same situation he would be entering... I'm not sure Branthwaite would want doubts over his playing time either, at this important stage of his career.

Playing time isn't guaranteed I know, and Yoro is very young, but the next CB will be seen as a backup imo. And I'm not sure either will want that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Didn't we try and get Varane before he went to Madrid. Yoro reminds me a lot of him and is a like for like replacement from what I read online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Quags

This would be my thinking also. But i will hold back on the excitement cause its Madrid and until I see a pic of him from the official club site then anything can happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Maguire out, MDL in would be preferable, but I think Lindelof out, MDL in is more achievable.

• Advertisement

Agreed.
    I think Lindelof is more easily sold.

but MDL and Maguire are a similar profile. (not to disagree with you, and not saying you are saying otherwise).
    If it was Brantwaite coming in I don't think it would matter which of the two he replaced.

Also, while I think we still need another CB (while selling one) we should 100% be foucing on Central Midfield as our next/third signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Another interesting point I took from latest Talk of the Devils podcast was the amount of compensation we paid for Ashworth.

Apparently we ended up only paying close to what Newcastle paid Brighton for him i.e. £2-£2.5m.

If true, it again points to a much more encouraging bit of management. Newcastle were looking for £20m at one point.

The links to Urgate are gone quiet, last I heard we wanted a loan plus obligation. Apart from that I have not seen anything else

• Advertisement

And there were people in here moaning we wouldn't just pay what Newcastle asked for just to get it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

The 50% sell on clause is an obvious, yet excellent clause to include.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I think it’s supposed to be 50% of the profit of his sale as opposed to 50% of the sale value itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,370 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

At least he's gone. I can live with them probably breaking even on the wages they paid him but trying to profit off him doesn't really sit well with me. Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I never really got this argument why they shouldn't 'profit' off him. Seen a couple people mentioning similar, be good to see from a different viewpoint.

The club spent years developing him which took time, effort and money so it's not unreasonable to sell him on to a club willing to take a punt on him. Would the alternative be to let him go for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Greenwood gone is great. Yoro is unexpected and probably not very long term but extremely welcome.

I'd sell Lindelöf before Maguire. Maguire proved actually decent last year when he was no longer captain and guaranteed starter. The removal of responsibility helped him a shít tonne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

We also paid him the whole time he wasn't playing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Greenwood going without much fuss compared to the mess Arnold and Murtough oversaw is a good sign of some sensible work going on in the background now.

No idea how Zirkzee if going to work out of about Yoro. They do seem to be in line with what Ashcroft and Wilcox are in for. They are more expensive than comparable Brighton or Southampton signings so it is a big change for them as the risk increases with the bigger profile and higher costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Calafiori for me is who we should be targetting…left sided CB who can also play LB. We will struggle on the left again this season idf Martinez gets injured

Would much prefer signing a proper LB, with the option of Shaw covering at LCB if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

If he'd been convicted I'd say the same, terminate his contract immediately. But we still don't know what the full story was and he's obviously not planning on providing it. He's soiled goods, it's a result to get rid of him and if we recoup something for the hassle he's put the club through, good.

United already signed one Bologna player. Probably don't want to go too far down the road of buying from one club in case the manager and environment there was a bit of a one off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Getting players in at correct prices. If clubs don't agree to our valuation we move on quickly. And moving players out with good sell on clauses.

What is the madness. Seemingly we have adults in charge again. Thankfully.

Good Times 🥲🥲🥲

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

He was quite possibly best natural finisher Uniteds academy has ever produced.

What might have been.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I would have no concerns about Madrid coming calling for Yoro in a few years, I hope we are soon in a place where all our players are coveted by the big European clubs.

The only concern is have is an immediate one, does he really wants to join United or is he reluctantly because Madrid haven't come in for him yet. A situation like the DeMaria /PSG one is what I hope the club have sussed out.

I reckon Lindelof will be sold next and unless a decent bid comes in for Maguire, I am beginning to think the club may offer him a new deal, (on less salary and that's he's ok as a backup). He's going into his final year, though I think there is a +1 year on that, but a reduced wages contract would help keep some of his value and make it easier to sell him next year if needed.

Glad to see the Greenwood situation sorted out quickly and without fuss. More of that now with the rest of the deadbeats please.

Whatever about agreeing on who our next targets should be, it's safe to say the club is finally operating properly behind the scenes. A remarkable turnaround (so far ) from the Woodward era sh1tshow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This already turning into decent summer. Keep it up now.

The reality is that if Madrid do coming knocking in a few years (assuming we sign Yoro), he'll have been brilliant for us and we'll get a huge fee. Of course he could end up being a turkey but thems the risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Excellent business. Best transfer since the Fergie days.

• Advertisement

Some people not taking the Yoro news well.🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Pat_bottom

Yoro joining us instead of Madrid doesn't concern me. Di Maria joined under lvg and they clashed under his dull football and where he played him, sanchez was different time too the club was a mess, it's up to the club to show yoro they mean business.

christ above this is moving. Will it be done today? This speed is unnerving. Am I dreaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair point, but its just nice change and difference is this is not a desperate buy like other two.

Things seem be going in right direction. The mess will take another 5 or 6 years to turn around.

Its a positive for a change.

What does that 5/6 year idea look like to you?
    Personally, I think we are aiming at a 3 year turn around. Like I am sure we have sold ourselves to Yoro based on getting back into the CL this season, and then looking to complete for the title in 26/27. There is no way Yoro is being told it will be 5 or 6 years before we have turned around the mess.

• Advertisement

We've been linked with the turnkish guy Ferdi kadıoğlu - young, highly rated, and can play RB and LB. I'd go for him; as he could play LB when Shaw is out.

Right footed left back so would be a very obvious choice and cover both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Branthwaite is two footed and can play FB too. I wonder could he play RB? Anyway is it possible we are going to move to an Arsenal/City like back 4 of CBs playing FB eg. Ake, Timber, White etc

United got into a right mess with the Accountants in charge.

INEOS must have accountants working flat out now to make the budget work. Greenwood and Willy out have probably made some of what is happening now possible.

It could end up a bit Chelsea short term with a player like McT possibly sold to balance the books as the summer goes on, with United possibly signing a more expensive player that works better in the PSR numbers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement