Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options
1182183184185186188»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭jmreire

Not really. If you have step back bonus protection only, then you only lose 2 or 3 years bonus,( depends on ins. terms) and retain 2 years. No protection whatsoever, back to square one, begin all over again at first year. Full bonus protection, and even more if possible then drive on, same as if you never had a claim. I have always gone for the maximum bonus protection that I was able to get. Two years ago, I was with Zurich, then they raised their prices, and I got a better deal from 123.ie,.This year, 123.ie raised their prices, and I again got a better deal from Zurich, with their Comprehensive Plus insurance at €525.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,044 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Not really what? You've cooled a bit since yesterday which is no harm. What you've said is exactly what I've provided actual figures for. Even if you go back to zero NCB it still won't cost thousands to renew as you stated yesterday whether you're Malaysian or not. Come back with actual figures for this woman and we'll work from there. Actually a work colleague of mine rear ended a car which went into another car writing off his and probably the middle car too, he had no protection in place I'll ask him what his renewal was as it was definitely over a year ago when it happened. I just messaged him it went up to 1100 for himself and the wife.

Actually, I haven't changed one bit, I stand by what I said in my original post. A lady had a minor tip, reported it to her insurance, when the renewal came, she was unable to renew it due to the increased cost, and now has no car, so her cleaning job is gone too. What was your friend's insurance cost before the accident? The lady in question that I mentioned might not even be able to afford the €1100 your friend paid? There's also the insurance issue and no bonus protection involved that not only will have to begin at the beginning again, but ever further back, because you are now starting your 5-year bonus journey again, but this time, you are starting with the added disadvantage of having a claim registered against you, so how would that affect your renewal? Thats something to think about too,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,044 ✭✭✭CoBo55

A settled claim while still required to be declared won't affect her ability to shop around, a pending claim will make it more difficult understandably as nobody knows where they stand. Before the crash his premium was the usual 300-400 price on a Kia ceed estate.

Have you any idea about the amount the claim cost the insurance? In other words, how many years would it take for him to repay the insurance for what they paid out? (Post edited as I am getting some more info.)

Post edited by jmreire at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

With over 40 in the business behind me, I think I have a good understanding of the situation. They desire by insurers to make profit is not well served by screwing over their customers for standard claims. The principle of losing an unprotected NO CLAIM bonus when you have a claim shouldn't be hard to comprehend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Just renewed. 40 year old male with six years NCB (most of it carried over from abroad) driving a year old Kona Electric. Cover includes business. Up from 300€ to 370€. Aviva.

Advertisement