Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Will the Tories be willing to take on Reform and be the opposition? They seemed reluctant to take on Reform during the election. It won't simply be enough to be the official opposition, they will have to show that Reform cannot provide what potential Reform voters want (apart from the already bought in voters).

Are the Tories willing to fight not only the Labour party but also to fight Reform? Initial soundings since the election would suggest not.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Randycove

ignoring Shoog’s melodramatic and hugely erroneous post, none of the three you mention would be considered to come from middle class backgrounds.

something like 30,000 people of Indian heritage came to the UK from east Africa, the majority from Uganda after Idi Amin gave them 90 days to leave. Many couldn’t go back to India as they regions their families had left were now in Pakistan, so the majority came to the UK.

Rather than “Lakkies of the empire” as Shoog so horribly described them, most were shop keepers, small business owners and generally quite entrepreneurial, which is where a lot of the hatred had stemmed from in Uganda (not too dissimilar to Hitlers demonisation of the Jews). They arrived in the UK without a penny, but carried on where they left off in Uganda and opened shops and started businesses.

There is a great sketch in one of the Alf Garnet series where an Indian guy is canvassing for the local elections and knocks on Garnets door, to which Alf starts his rants about foreigners and Labour etc.

the Indian guy simply replies that he is Sorry Mr Garnet, you are mistaken. Four years ago I was an immigrant and was supporting Labour. Now I own a Newsagent and rent out three properties, so I am running to become a Conservative councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭drury..

A lot of the British Indians are very British in their ways and vote conservative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭PommieBast

They are trying to appeal to vested interests and grassroots, not the general electorate. For them general appeal stopped being a factor in the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

You can appreciate my comment then about the northern Ireland loyalists having more in common with them as road kill of the empire.

• Advertisement

not really, no. It sounds like the kind of thing you read on a fringe republican website.

I wouldn't know, I'll have to take your word on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Their job is not to take on Reform; it's to take on the Goverment. They're the opposition. If they focus their energies on squabbling with Reform they just look like a party that doesn't take itself or its role seriously. The way to win support from
    Reform is to look like a party that can do things that Reform can't, such as providing effective opposition and presenting as a credible alternative government of the right. Reform is not a serious party of government and it would be disastrous for the Tories to try to move into the polical space that Reform occupies.

On the left of politics, the Lib Dems pick up 12% of the vote (and 72 seats). Does Labour hyperventilate about this? Do they panic? Do they stress about how to win Lib Dem voters to Labour? They do not; they focus on winning voters who might vote otherwise Tory.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,962 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Labour's 40 bills mentioned at opening of parliament. Some are leftovers from Sunak or before like smoking, football regulation and English devolution so it will be interesting to see if they actually happen this time.

Personally I'm quite interested to see how the Passenger Rail Services bill and the Better Buses bill go which both aim to put trains and buses back under public and council control respectively.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The buses under TFL rather show that there is no need to bring bus services under council control. The issue outside London is the cack-handed way the privatization was done - had it been done on a licensing basis ala TFL it would be fine.

British Rail was also not exactly what you'd call popular, so that will be interesting. I'm personally somewhat agnostic on whether public or private trains are better, but the British govt have handled the train network appallingly under both auspices so far.

• Advertisement

I assume the buses bill will be about letting councils set up a version of TfL rather than full public which practically nobody does anymore.

British Rail was unpopular because it was underfunded. It was Also run with a British superiority mindset and money was wasted on production and R&D because they wouldn't go foreign. Privatisation also didn't fix the problems British Rail had.

There is nothing about the concept of British Rail that doesn't work. You can also leave lines private but have stricter control on quality and price caps. Also force them to adopt a cross company travel card.

There is nothing about the concept of British Rail that doesn't work. You can also leave lines private but have stricter control on quality and price caps. Also force them to adopt a cross company travel card.

For sure - like I said I'm almost completely agnostic on the issue, but under the Tories and Labour and in private and public ownership it has been a mess. The investment has never been there and they desperately need to fix that (maintaining the absurd cancellation of HS2 doesn't bode well on that front though). A simple "Nationalise the railways" platform isn't super enthusing but I'm perfectly happy to wait and see how they manage it.

On the buses, good shout. Can't remember where I read it now, but I believe they are not allowed set up a similar system at the moment which is outright insane. That seems a simple and beneficial fix.

I think HS2 Birmingham - North can't go ahead because the Tories didn't just cancel it but sold the land back as well.

They said they would, but I don't believe any of the land was actually sold yet (and yes, that was quite the spiteful move for a government that knew it was leaving power and was trying to burn the ground beforehand).

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/hs2-revived-government-owns-land-birmingham-manchester-3163241

I understand that Labour are trying to be "fiscally responsible" but I desperately hope that they a) absolutely do not follow through with selling the land and b) find the headroom to somehow bring it back. Though it would inevitably be even more expensive if they do.

aren’t they using the money to build an east-west route instead?

Manchester already has a similar set up to TFL and I presume the new mayor for the North East will have the same powers.

Most towns would only have a bus network that connects to the local national rail station and as far as I know, they can do what they like. I do know that Reading council own their bus company and have a fantastic bus network.

They are vague on the details, but yes they have said they would focus on east-west routing in the north. Sounds a lot like Northern Powerhouse Rail that went nowhere mind and it does nothing to fix the underlying issues on the rail network.

ah, so they do. Or they are in the process of rolling it out and it is quite recent. Burnham was complaining for years that they were not allowed to do it and they are the first city in England outside London to manage it as far as I know. Metro bus services everywhere outside London are an absolute mess with competing companies running similar routes etc. and no integrated ticketing.

Often in UK cities the bus network is unconnected. Can make it quite confusing when you have to check various different maps and it's not always clear what type of service you are on. Very different to London where you know "I am getting on a red bus so I can use X card and it will cost y and I can hopper to any other red bus"

I haven’t experienced that in any of the cities I’ve been to, not saying doesn’t happen, but if it works in some places (which it does very well in Reading) then I can’t see why it isn’t elsewhere. It could simply be down to the local authority not being very good at it.

• Advertisement

I’ve also heard him say (on the Jo Marler podcast, which is well worth a listen) that it is stupid that you can fly from Heathrow to Manchester cheaper than taking the train.

My experience of public transport in the UK is pretty positive, it’s just rediculously expensive. it is also noticeably worse when you get north of Birmingham as well.

But Reading council you said own their bus service.

I am talking about the cities that don't have a TfL style set up. The local authority don't have the power to set one up. That's what the Labour bill will do.

I remember there were two different bus companies in Manchester requiring two separate ticketing regimes, no simple tap on tap off like with a leap card.

We did manage to buy a few discount train fairs to London but they were usually bookable only three months in advance.

Well, Reading isn't a city but with the deregulation of the bus services (everywhere, I might add, but London) this option isn't there. The LA has to compete with private bus services and as usual they only compete on the most profitable routes. Manchester had to face down a lot of legal cases to roll out franchised bus services and it has only just started.

I have not been to a single UK city that doesn't have a mess of a bus service so I'm not super sure where you are travelling.

The TFL model is slightly different. They own the infrastructure and appoint a contractor to run it, so currently the majority of drivers actually work for Go Ahead London. Reading own the company and the drivers (as far as I’m aware) work for the council owned company.

My point is though, if Reading can do it, what is stopping other authorities, is it actually that they can’t do it, or that they choose not to, or just do it badly.

just worked out why. Municipal bus companies in existence before 2017 were allowed to stay in place. The ban only applies to authorities that aren’t metropolitan areas setting up their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Trouble these days is the sheer quantity of trains that get cancelled, often at short notice.

I admit, my experience is mainly from a train station to one place. Usually a football ground and back again. Living and working in a city would be very different.

5 places have fully public buses but I can't get an answer anywhere as to why they were allowed. Franchising became legal in 2017 for metro councils I just learned but it was illegal for a council to set up a bus company like Reading somehow have which will now change.

Good read hear about the Manchester service. Sounds like it will finally be what most Europeans including ourselves would expect a transport network to bee 🤣

• Advertisement

franchising is an excellent model. It is what Dublin and then the rest of the country will have ultimately.

Advertisement