Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Be right back

She shouldn't have crossed until the yellow box was clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭VonLuck

They really should have a stop sign before the cycle lane, not that excuses her from what she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

'what do you mean I came right across the lane?'

She was completely oblivious to the presence of the bike lanes and the meaning of them, all she saw was the road ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Looks to me like the cyclist just rode into her on purpose. Looks like he had lots of time to come to a stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Paddigol

In fairness, a) he was probably surprised by someone pulling straight out like that… usually you can spot them as they slowly nudge out, and b) given how forcefully she drove straight out into the bike lanes he possible expected that she would continue on and clear the lane in time for him to pass. Split seconds, he may have made the call not to haul on the brakes to accommodate the ignorant cow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Could be one of those coke zero bikes with the terrible brakes as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's not. It looks like it might be a relatively budget gravel bike or something given it has cross top brake levers.

Hard to say from the distance how far cyclist was from car, unlike the last video we all commented on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Looks like he had maybe 3 metres, and the fact that he came to nearly a complete stop was actually impressive. You can see his back wheel pop up the tiniest of amounts when he hits the car so he had obviously took a good bit of speed out.

This was the first time he knew she wasn't stopping,

And this is when he stops, and he was almost stationary at this point:

There is a little over 2 seconds between the two screenshots. I was impressed by the speed of his reaction.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What I'd like to see (and I couldn't get the clarity on my laptop) is whether she even glanced to her left at all or just ploughed up on to the road

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

She didn't slow at all from she entered the shot, so if she looked it made no odds. The white van blocking her exit as well, where was she in a rush too, it hurts my brain to think about. She had just started a hard brake when he hit her but not for him, but for the white van on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Honestly, that's impossible to tell from the camera's vantage. We have no definitive read on how far away he was. However, this goes back to my first point - if these were two cars, the blame would firmly be place on the car that pulled out without looking. Traffic already on the road has right of way. Just because one of those vehicles is a bike, suddenly we're having a discussion about whether the cyclist could have stopped in time.

I have the original, less compressed version, and while it's still hard to say for sure - it doesn't seem so. It looks like she (the car driver) is only looking right, as that's where the vehicular traffic comes from.

We have no definitive read on how far away he was. However, this goes back to my first point - if these were two cars, the blame would firmly be place on the car that pulled out without looking.

Of course she's to blame, but I'm merely pointing out my perception that it looks like he could have stopped: he's going uphill, not too fast, and from the time the bonnet of the car comes into his view, and he sees that the car doesn't appear to slow down for the cycle lane, it seems to me that he could have stopped before hitting her car. Perhaps I'm wrong, I could be, but perhaps I'm not and he rolled into her door slowly with the similar intention of a punishment pass, although that part is speculation on my part of course. However, I suspect he could have stopped before colliding with her car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My experience of those cross top brakes would think he did well to only bump into car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Fair enough, I'll respectfully disagree.

You can see his head jolt forwards when he hits the car. I don't think anyone would voluntarily put themselves in that position, especially not in an instinctive split-second decision. Also, he's not cycling uphill. This is Parnell Place in Cork, sandwiched between the two arms of the Lee river. It's flat as a pancake.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just in case anyone here was rhe victim of a hit & run today in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭f1000

junction of Collins Ave. + Swords Rd. this morning. Really getting pissed off with red light jumpers coming from the Beaumount direction, turning right onto the Swords Rd., heading north. Traffic was backed up and tried to steer through the hold-up only to be clipped by a long-van driver who bulled through. Stayed up, but he clipped my brake lever with the end of his van

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd really appreciate it if motorists didn't try hit me and my kid

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Just the old attempted murder coming up to these lights today. Cars as usual parked in the dedicated parking spots with bike signs on them.

Lights going red as I passed the car currently parked just before the colour change on the cycle lane and I was moseying up going to turn right and a car overtakes me as I'm still on the left of the lane. Space there but he just cuts in front of me and I'd to swerve to avoid contact with him. Was very close.

I was like WTF but continued past him into the red box. He slides up and rolls down his window to say I should be in the cycle lane. I completely lost it with him. I was like do you not see the cars there? Told him to get away from me and moved further up. He continues forward and says the same thing again. By this point I'm just like fúck off and get away from me, the light had gone green and the car behind beeped him so I could only really go straight at this point so continued on.he was beside me right through the junction until I could get on the naturally blocked with cars cycle lane the other side.

Didn't get his reg or anything but at least the guy behind stopped and gave me the "what an asshole".

Amazing how brave men (and it's nearly always men) feel when behind the wheel of a large vehicle with the doors locked. Asshole is an understatement for people like that. You just hope karma is keeping score.

• Advertisement

For aggressive bullying? We must cycle very different roads. No doubt, just as many poor female drivers, but if I hear a car on the accelerator two feet behind me, or punishment pass, or if someone rolls down a window to hurl abuse, 8 times out of 10 for me its a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Have heard a passive-aggressive response would be to open the back door of the offending car and cycle away, leaving the driver to have to get out & close it before continuing. I havnt been brave enough to try but have been sorely tempted …. On a couple of occasions (when cars pull out & stop or else cut in front) I will rap on the roof just to wake them up and hopefully show how close they were ….. have been surprised that I got NO response from this, not even mild shock at the unusual noise. Maybe thats just Birmingham drivers!

I do think that more and more people (ped , cyclist & drivers) are in their own world with headphones / podcasts / phones / radios distracting them …. I love my earbuds and a good podcast or audio book does help the time go by on my commute, so I know I am distracted from time to time and I am one who makes an effort …. so I am not pure myself.

On the "how could they not see me?" thoughts all cyclists have, I think the answer is "because they didnt look for you" … no matter what lights / jackets you have , no matter what size you are or your position in the road, some drivers wont see you because they are not looking for a bike (I think motorcyclists will say the same).

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I meant that they will take liberties and not offer an ounce of apology.

Yeah, no I agree with you there… ignorance, incompetence and stupidity is equal across every demographic from my experience.

I'd never go as far down the road of passive aggression as to interfere with someone's car. There are just too many possible unintended consequences that aren't worth it, no matter how strong the temptation. Just my personal view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I know you told me to fcuk off and mind my own business but to the person with the two little kids in the cargobike who goes down the Lusk and Rush road in the mornings, would you ever have a bit of concern for your kids safety and ditch that cargobike.

I go up on the path cycling that road because its fcking dangerous to cycle on. Most people cycling do. I know you wont fit on the path but Jesus think about those two kids. Ive seen you nearly get clipped a few times now. If you dont care about yourself, think about your kids.

You may think that its up to the people driving cars to avoid you, but not everyone in a car cares. While they are idiots and in the wrong, its your kids who will suffer. Dont do this to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe post a message to the drivers on the Motors forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

The drivers arent going to stop someone putting their kids lives at risk on a cargo bike on a dangerous road. All of the drivers that care about them are being more careful around them, but the ones that dont care arent going to be changing anything.

So now the chice becomes. Bring your kids on to the firing range and trust the people shooting to follow the rules and look out for you, or dont take the chance at all with your kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭buffalo

I find drivers much more careful around cargo bikes, as long as they can tell that's what it is.

Advertisement