Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting out of electric

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nothing wrong with driving at all. It was the sentiment behind having to boot up the motorway at 6 in the morning to make a meeting at 9.30. That stress and rushing leads to accidents. If it was just a meeting then there are alternatives like online callers etc

But that descended into working which is totally acceptable. I have a transit for collections that nothing can replace at the moment. Right tool for the job and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I've no idea what point you're trying (and failing) to make. People go from A to B with time constraints outside their control. You need to move past it.

I've a mandatory day in the office tomorrow, requiring and earlier than usual start and a completely unnecessary commute. Such is life.

I've no idea what point you're trying (and failing) to make. People go from A to B with time constraints outside their control. You need to move past it.

I've a mandatory day in the office tomorrow, requiring and earlier than usual start and a completely unnecessary commute. Such is life.

And driving is ok. Which I’ve posted many a time. I don’t understand the anger over this. Move past it is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Maid? Grumble? In my case if I misnamed you it was because of the predictive text; I thought that would be obvious. Apologies. I didn’t think it would cause such upset.

Apology accepted but there’s no need. Not to me anyway as it didn’t cause me any upset, it was the other poster that got upset over the spelling of usernames.

I don’t expect to get along or agree with everyone so I don’t take much of this personally, so all good 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hailtothethief

Well, it seems that some manufacturers are re-evaluating the push to EV only. Genesis (Hyundai's luxury arm) were on a EV only push but now are bringing out hybrids due to customer demands.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/hybrid/genesis-will-launch-a-whole-range-hybrids-because-customers-now-want-hybrid-more-ev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

We're going to compromise our way to oblivion aren't we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

no. Cars will move to being fully ev. It just won’t happen in the mad gang busters way it was suggested. I think that was a fiction invented by Tesla for share price reasons.

if you think about it steam trains ran until the late 60s/ early 70s and the first TGV ran in the late 70s. It didn’t go straight from steam to the TGV though, and there was electrification of railways from the 20s… that’s 50 year lead in time.

Equally it never became illegal to use a pony or steam lorry to deliver goods, but the transition happened.

I was told in 2016 when I went from petrol to diesel the fuel was dead and I’d never resell the car. That’s 8 years ago, and diesel is no worse off.

The worst the government can do now is force people. Let the market work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The change in velocity of manufacturers moving to EV has absolutely nothing to do with the watering down of EURO7 standards. EURO7 as originally proposed would have been extremely expensive for manufactures with any combustion engine. It's honestly just a complete co-incidence that manufacturers are aligning electrification plans with emission standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Used to just park one on the fast charger and one on an outside socket with a granny charger permanently plugged into a wifi plug.

If you thought the charge was going to be lower than the other car you would put that on the fast charger and whoever came in after parked at the granny charger.

If one car was going to be there during the day it went on the zappi for the solar.

Never even had to think about it. Just park and plug. I think maybe only once we decided to swap the cars after we both got home.

Even if the a car was on the granny charger during the day just out of laziness instead of swapping that just turned the socket on while the sun was out.

Both charger always came on during the cheap hours anyway.

When we bought our house we made sure there was room for 2 EVs to charge and pass each other. Was near the top of the list actually.

Had to suddenly drive 200km to Galway the other night when a relative died.

I wasnt going to be sparing the horses on the way down or the way back. Had to do the same trip another 3 times during the week. Didnt spare the horses then either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭innrain

Monday morning I learnt I have to go to Limerick. The car was at 89%. Started at 10ish from Sandyford, at 12:10 I was in Limerick Strand Hotel. Spent 20 minutes there. Started back stopped at Birdhill where I charged and had a soup. Total stop 19 minutes. The car told me it is ready to go after only 7 minutes. Drank the coffee while driving. At 15:10 I was in Glasnevin D9 another meeting. At 16:20 on NCR D1 another meeting. At 17:30 back in Sandyford picked the kid from camp. Got home with 25% and enjoyed the "young" family. I used the shortest range car I have access to. Another thing to mention is that on the 120km/h stretch no car overtook me, except one downhill which I passed it later uphill. I was on ACC

Funny enough I did a similar drive with a diesel on Saturday. In Italy drove from South of Florence to North of Milan. I had 2 stops one of 20 minutes for physiological needs and one for 6 minutes for refueling.

There is absolutely nothing different in the use of the two types of cars. Put the destination in the GPS and drive. Stop when needed.

10-15 years ago I had monthly drives Glasnevin - Ringaskiddy - Glasnevin with the ICE. There was not one instance when I didn't stop at least once, either at Porlaoise or Cashel or J14. Stop at any of the service station on motorways and marvel how busy there is. Are all these people EV drivers in need of charge?.

I would also stop even in the diesel. But I know people who don't. Each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,586 ✭✭✭✭fits

completely agree with you.

I also did a last minute trip to Limerick recently from carlow. Left with 90% ish. Didn’t need to charge but did anyway out of curiosity as never used a supercharger before. And it’s free for our car. Car would have easily got home without a charge.

I try not to stop unless I absolutely have to tbh. In an EV or an ICE.

I do think its gas though the way EV drivers describe their drive down to the minute and nearly tell you where and what they had for lunch and how long it took them to eat it. As well as how much fuel they put in the car and how long and what speed it went in at and what the weather was like ans on and on. Then they proceed to tell you that everyone else would be doing the same as they are doing too.

And when you are at the chargers they come up and ask you how many kms you get from the car and what kwh/100km you are getting. Its the exact same car that they just got out of FFS.

You never hear ICE drivers describe a trip like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yeah, it's a bit silly and it's never a fair representation of the delay to the journey anyway. A charge stop is charge time + 10-15mins delay to a journey and sometimes that can matter.

That said, in your own case that limitation was or should have been understood prior to your second purchase since you have been driving evs for 10 years. I know you had unscheduled long journeys recently but your EVs inability to do those journeys return without stopping was hardly a surprise?

Its almost like I have to justify my decision to you. mIf its ok with you I have my own reasons why 2 EVs are not as good for us as 1 EV and a diesel. They are nothing to do with you and have been thoroughly talked through by both myself and my other half.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Why is it surprising that posters on an EV forum discuss using an EV and how it works for them? Are you surprised that posters on the rugby forum talk about rugby?

As to your point re conversations at chargers, how much time are you spending stood around a charger for that to happen. Anytime I need to charge I plug in and then do something else. It's surprising just how many people with mixed or negative views on EVs spend time receiving unsolicited conversations about them in daily lives.

• Advertisement

I do know down to the minute because I had meetings down to the minute. I have google timeline enabled so I could tell down to the minute any drive in the last 15 years. ICE or EV or public transport or walk.

here a drive to Ringaskiddy back in 2012 in a petrol. The phones were not that precise then. For privacy purpose I don't post locations and times but you get the gist.

Is that all the argument you found in my previous post. I have OCD, I like to plan my things. I used to drive long distances on the continent way before GPS was a thing. I used maps and plan my stops even then. I just said I drove an EV like a diesel similar distance similar stops. You cherry pick the fact that I remember what I had for lunch. I had an ice cream when driving the diesel if that makes it even. Have it your way though we've the wired bunch.

Guys, im not trying to rain on your parade. Can you all just calm down and realize that we are not all the same, even though we all drive EVs. ITs almost like you take any bad word said against an EV personally.

You can stop now. Im not talking about just you. Its always like a diary of a journey. Why do ICE drivers not do this? I'll leave that one to you to figure out. The attacks on people who mention ANYTHING that doesnt work in an EV, followed by a detailed description of a random journey is tiring. Its that same sh!t when you go to post in the cycling forum.

Have you ever seen a post where someone seeks out a motor's forum, then goes to the effort to tell the ICE driver that a journey they take regularly isn't possible and is the reason that cars with a combustion engine will never catch on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You don't have to justify yourself to me but if you post on a thread that is about reverting to ICE and you are saying that you are doing so, I think it's a reasonable expectation to be asked about why you might be doing so.

The fact that you are a long time EV driver, and aware of the limitations of the current tech might make your answer or reasoning particularly interesting. Or at least more interesting than say a new EV driver that found charging to be too much of a faff, or got swayed by the more recent negative mood music around the type.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭crl84

Who is not calm?

If you don't want people discussing things and responding to your points, then I'm not sure why you're posting or replying to posts?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

EVs are not for everyone

Diesels are not for everyone

Petrols are not for everyone

Just the way it is, no one is right or wrong here

In the 300+ posts of this thread I saw countless times when people posted journeys which they think doesn't work for EVs and reduces time spent with the kids. When I post my own experience with both EV and diesel with facts and dates, I get ridiculed as how my kind (EV drivers) remembers what they eat for lunch. I'm not on the cyclist forum as personally I find cycling on the Irish roads too dangerous and I lost interest. Hence cycling only at the gym. Not going to hang on the cycling forum for that.

I came to this forum 5 years ago, to learn something new and after this time and 160,000 km, driving 3 EVs I feel I could contribute for those who want to learn, like I was 5 years ago.

Regarding the OP I know a guy who handed back an EQS after only few weeks of ownership. He got the corresponding S-class in place. The reason was that he wouldn't remember to charge the car at home overnight and it was always discharged when need it. That was in the first year when EQS appeared. I accept EVs are not for everyone. He shouldn't even consider getting one but probably it was sold as a big sexy thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭prosaic

All this, you said I said she said, bickering. I don't read those. Skim past. Tiresome, not worth a moment's consideration.

• Advertisement

The idea that ICE drivers don't discuss their route, traffic or fuel economy or travel time is nonsense. Unless you don't discuss cars at all, in which why are they on forum, telling us they travel non stop for 4 hrs flat out with no break..

Advertisement