Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread 2024/25 - Teamtalk/Transfers/Gossip Mod Note in OP 26.09.24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,335 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm surprised we didn't announce an INEOS sponsorship of the training ground, which would have been an easy revenue increase. Maybe they will aim for something upon reopening of the upgraded centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I just don't see the mess created for a decade and half to really be so quick to turnaround.

If everything clicks maybe, but the consequences of years of neglect at club takes it toll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i dont know anything about him but he must be one of the most versatile players out there. could be a good squad option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

The turkish Phil Neville!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Its great that they have finally copped on but this is the normal way other clubs do business! Its just that United have fecked up since SAF left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I still think the best deal we could push for DeLigt is loan to buy...he gets a season to prove himself and Bayern get him off the wages to bring in Tah

It's no secret we have to sign another CB and move on Lindelof. I've never been a big Maguire fan but in fairness he stepped up last season and does appear to be a figurehead in that locker room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

is he 22 or 18?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Big difference from last season!

Last summer we were spunking out for a forward from Serie A who hadn't scored many goals as well as paying 60 million for a guy with one year to go in his contract... this summer we've gone and.... Oh wait 😐

Fcuk it, I'll try to get on the positivity train!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

You have missed the train already! I get your point but time will tell !

i actually think the signings last season were smart, or at least attempting to be.

But things just didn't work out as we would have liked, for various reasons.

I'd expect Onana, Hojlund and Mount to be very important over the next seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

If he doesn't perform he can forget about breaking into the French team and signing for Madrid in a few years so it's up to him really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Yeah he edited the post now. We’ll allow him this mistake, his news coverage has been great this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

So now Greenwood, Kambwala and VDB have departed, will this give us a little more leeway in our pursuit of De Leigt or Ugarte?

• Advertisement

Maybe, but I'd say that it is a large part in how we have signed Yoro and Zirkzee. I could see us being able to get Ugarte (or similar price) but I think we would need to sell a CB to get De Ligt - even just to ensure we don't have an overload of CBs on high wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Been burned so many times its difficult to get worked up by any single transfer. I'm just happy to see the right people making the decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Pat_bottom

Never played in goal so doesn't come close to johno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I am thrilled with Yoro. No caveats, no it's buts ands or maybes.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Here we go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Yoro wears number 15 at Lille. Wouldn't it be magical if was as good as our former Serbian centre half who wore 15 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Mad that United got that deal done.

Big changes with transfers.

Glazers Out!

Shows the benefit of being in for a target no one thought you could get. Apparently the effort put in was part of what won him over.

Real got complacent with a half arsed approach. They thought once they expressed an interest it was a sure thing either getting him on the cheap or free next summer. Plus he's probably guaranteed more game time at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd prefer to keep Lindelof and focus on other positions, than pay to replace Lindelof with another CB. He's not world class but as a 3rd/4th choice backup he is perfectly fine, and with one year left on contract what money would they even get for him.

In the context of this summer of course. Ideally you'd replace everybody, but there are still full backs, midfielders and attackers needed.

Sorting the midfield would do far more to improve the defence than replacing the backup CB would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Shows how bad the situation had become when we're as happy with the fact the club is acting competently in the transfer market as much as the actual new players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

De Laet wasn't the worst tbf to him. He was signed to make up numbers in the reserves because we loaned out so many there were fùck all left. Same reason we loaned in some Bolton full back to fill in.

de Laet was competent when we had an equally mad injury crisis shortage of defenders in the seniors considering he was never supposed to get near the seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

Typical us that we wil pay nearly 70 million euros for one yoro! Ah hopefully he fits in and fulfills potential with us .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Even if these signings turn out or be rubbish, I’m still impressed by the lack drama around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭FrankN1

If we've managed to be half decent for some of the last 10 years with the **** show going on, it's hard not to see a big lift in on field performance with actual best in class football staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,370 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

There were also times good signings were being made during that time which people seem to forget/choose to ignore. It still didn't work. In the very recent past the current manager has been allowed to sign a bunch of his guys along with other supposedly top players he identified and it just got worse and worse.

We'll see this season I suppose. At least he's calling them out for bad performances and not mollycoddling them like the end of last season I guess...

I dunno that's new. Countless times he's said the play wasn't good enough, the players didn't execute the plan or weren't mentally strong enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Quags

Looks like we have a new Gaitan/Sneijder saga 😂

Manager calls players out publicly - ffs that should be kept in house.

Manager doesn't call players out publicly - ffs, they are being mollycoddled.

🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Advertisement

I'd take Rabiot, but I would like Ugarte too. I think we need two CMs, but I am not sure if we get both this summer; but we certainly need one - we need a first choice partner for Mainoo.

I think what we do over the remainder of the summer is really interesting and important, obviously… with respect to Mainoo and Yoro.

I think Yoro will be an excellent signing, but he has weaknesses in his game (that i have read/heard about rather than scouting him myself so maybe my understanding is wrong). He is tall and quick, but a bit slight and weak - which is to be expected of an 18yo, but is something we need to be cogniscent of. He doesn't approach players with their back to goal 'correctly', relying on his pace and dueling to win out - but smart players will take advantage. These are elements I would expect to be ironed out, improved and forgotten about as he gains experience and puts on muscle, but that will take time.

On top of this, the United defensive structure has been TERRIBLE under EtH - exposing our defenders to countless isolations and attacks. In his first season it was not as bad with the triangle of Varane, Casemiro and Martinez controlling that central space in the defensive third, but Casemiro is astonishlingly worse than that first season, and Varane is gone.

I think we need two big things at a minimum… 1: A CM partner for Mainoo that compliments how we want Mainoo to play and 2: A tweak in defensive structure that puts a better protection in front of the defence.

So 1 CM signing needs to help Mainoo defensively and Yoro/Martinez defensively, making up for the weaknesses in the games of Yoro and Mainoo. Ugarte is the only CM we have been linked with, and given he very much does not seem to be a space shielding DM, it would be a bit of a worry tbh, but still far better than where we are.

I also think we can't actually rely on Yoro as first choice this season - so either you keep Maguire and he is first choice, or you sell Maguire/Lindelof and sign another CB.

Ideally the remainder of the summer for me would be:

Maguire/Lindelof Out, De Ligt In. (Sorts CB)
    AWB Out, Kadioglu In (Right back and Left Back Cover)
    Casemiro and Eriksen Out, Rabiot and Ugarte in (Maybe McTominay out too if he wants out for first team football)

Onana, Dalot, De Ligt, Martinez, Shaw, Kadioglu, Yoro, Maguire, Malaica, Ugarte, Mainoo, Bruno, Rabiot, Mount, Collyer (?), Rashford, Zirkzee, Garnacho, Antony, Hojlund, Amad, Sanco.

I think that would be a very good squad to go into next season with - without a massive PSR splurge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Rabiot will be on insane wages and his Ma is mental, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I think them days are gone. Doubt anyone will be coming in on mental money this summer.

He was 'only' on 140k pw last season with Juve. Having been in the same free agent position. I genuinely don't get why there is the assumption he will be on huge wages. The reality is unless he goes to Saudi, what clubs in the world are going to be offering him 200k+ per week? I would reckon 150k pw would be an offer competitive with any european team - as it would be a top line pay at the vast majority of even 'big' clubs.

You would also have to factor in his signing on fee, but that would be the case for any signing - and it could be that signing on fee that makes his wages LOOK insane, as a lot of the time a signing on fee is rolled into the wages pro-rata rather than paid as a lump sum iirc. Ie. if you gave him 150k base plus a 10m signing on fee over a 3 year contract you would have a 'reported' wage of 215k per week.

Newcastle have apparently had a loan bid with a mandatory purchase of around £30m accepted for Todibo. Juve also interested in him. I don't understand how a bid like this could be acceptable in the eyes of UEFA but we would be prohibited from making an identical bid. Like I get the concern about them underselling to a club with the same owners but if we are matching what the market is offering, how is that an issue.?

Yep, I don't get it. I don't understand why a player can't be given a free choice in this kind of situatiion. As long as United make a matching offer. Its bizarre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I see from clips Yoro is a front foot, great in more open play at a scramble type defending where he cuts out passes that will suit transitions. Also appears to have good ability on the ball. If United want to push up field they need a player like that so that makes sense.

The physical side could be tough for him, as it is tough for most defenders when they come up against that more traditional physical player most teams don't use anymore (as in they don't smack it to the big lad).

To play with a player like Yoro United will have to be more possession and territory dominant against the majority of opponents. The will have to get the back line right up the field and be fierce in the transitions. A frontline press not backed up by the rest of the team can't continue.

It will be clear early on if Ten Hag has sought a player like Yoro to help with this change in approach or if United have gone for this player as part of it's preferred type of player regardless of current coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

I think we were in for him at one stage 2 or 3 seasons ago, and the negotiations were awful, thanks to his Ma.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Quags

• Advertisement

That feels like an unfair characterisation. He/they were asking for big money at the time (according to reports) but i don't remember there being any issues with his mum (agent…) being crazy or weird about the transfer - other than wanting more than what United were willing to offer. That he then signed a new contract at Juve for less than what it was reported United were offering… I dunno, something feels odd about the reporting on it in general.

I don't remember there being any stories from his time at Juve about her being an issue.

I am vaguely remembering her making some odd/infamatory comments about the french camp at the last World Cup? Was there something there?

As far as I am aware its only really his time at PSG where it was flagged - and PSG were being terrible to him and trying to punish him (you're out of the squad, not picked in the match days, but we will also criticise you if you are seen in a club after or before a match we have no intention of playing you in). I think a lot of the characterisation comes from PSG wanting to paint them in a bad light.

Advertisement