Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options
1366367368369370372»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭funnyname

We have an MG ZS for 4 months, 7,000km clocked up but only ever charged at home by zappi. Current 100% GOM is giving about 480km.

We're going to Dublin on Sunday for the All-Ireland final.

We'll be travelling up the M6, any suggestions as to where to charge en route, we'll be stopping for food in both directions.

I was thinking the Tesla superchargers in Johnstown or Enfield services.

Also which services should I sign up to in advance, Ionity, ESB, Tesla, anyone else?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Enfield is open to non Teslas so aim for that.
    download the Tesla app for use.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You might as well sign up to ESB pay as you go, it's inevitable you will use them at some stage and their infrastructure grows by the week.

In 7+ years of EV driving I've never used Ionity

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Tesla Supercharger Enfield all day long… 6 chargers all up to 250kW, and the hotel serve lovely food.

An inbound top up here gets you in and out of the city comfortably and a top up again on the return trip home will see you through….

I wouldn’t stop in Enfield services…. Last time I was there I had to wade through piss to get to the toilets… Johnstown House is a lovely hotel with great bar food and clean facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,350 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

In fairness that is because at first you had EVs, that couldn't use Ionity. And then you had Teslas, that didn't need Ionity 😁

Perfect, thanks a million for the suggestions

Stupid question but I presume my DC connection is compatible with the superchargers? Also what rate of charge (Charging: 1 phase AC: 7.2 kW max. 3 phase AC: 11 kW max. DC: 75/94 kW max (SR/LR)) should I be looking at when connected, it's a LR model so will I get close to the 94kW and after the drive from Clare should the battery be warm enough for optimum speed?

V3 Superchargers (Enfield & Athenry, and Cork/sandyford) are CCS2 so fully compatible with your car…

Look up your cars charging curve on EV database, but as the V3 Superchargers put out 250kW, your car will be the limiting factor, not the charger, so if you arrive with a warm battery and low SoC% you’d see the full 94kW initially.

The car should be warm enough after that drive, but you’d probably want to be below 20% to see the headline speeds, and the speed will taper down as the battery fills up (charging curve)

also, if you are in having food, the car could be well finished charging before you’re finished eating, so make sure to be aware of when it stops charging to move it as Tesla charge €1/min for overstaying…

ESB will give you a slap on an ass cheek for overstaying, but Tesla will remove your pants and violate you for doing same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

They do allow you one free transgression before penalising you though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Fastned has lots of charging curves but unfortunately not for your model. Here is a link for different MG models

https://www.fastnedcharging.com/en/brands-overview/mg

As you can see the charging power is not flat during the charge.

As to why and what affects it a quite interesting read is here

https://www.fastnedcharging.com/en/stories/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-fast-charging

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I think Tesla enfield is probably the best option. for westbound make sure you get a reciept at the toll as you'll come up to another toll booth as you try get back on the M6. If you press the button just say you've already been through the main toll going westbound , they just asked had I reciept and I said I did and they opened the barrier. Not sure what the situation is eastbound

Enfield services I assume is Applegreen? The Westbound one has only one charger anyways so I wouldn't be betting on that being available. It's an applegreen one so if you do want to use you can either sign up for the applegreen app or you can pay slightly more using a regular card. Don't know what eastbound is like.

Another option I don't see mentioned much is Kinnegad service station, it seems to have 8 200Kw ESB chargers (pay with the ESB app) and there is a supermacs there if that is more the kind of food your fancying. Tesco and aldi are quite close to it too so you could pick up some stuff for eating in the car if you wanted to save a few quid.

The service station at Moate/Athlone has a mcdonalds and a few other food options, I believe the chargers there are Ionity. I'm not far from there so its too close for me to be bothered stopping so I've never used it for the EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭munsterfan2

Travelling up from Cork the day of the Kerry q/f and the 6 x chargers on the M7 (Kilcullen I think ) were full, and the service station was jammers inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

I expect mayhem at all services for all Ireland. I would stop early and if all chargers are busy move on to next site etc. There is a risk for the peak all Ireland commute traffic everything will be full everywhere. Parking at Dublin may also be an issue.

Tesla is an option but beware to download app in advance and learn how to use the app to charge a non Tesla. Also make sure you have ESB ecars app with an account set up etc. Give yourself lots of time. Maybe try charging when at 30% or less, but I would stop early and often and skip in use sites. If you passenger checks the apps they can see if all chargers are in use and for how long so you can keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,350 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I was delivering a '12 Leaf to its new owner (a boardsie) from Dublin to Galway yesterday, I find the fastest to do a long trip with a very short range Leaf is with frequent CHAdeMO stops and keeping the SOC very low. I stopped 5 times

So, the last 2 of the charge stops were on the old EFACEC triple head chargers and they started with 51kW and 48kW (readout from the display near the bottom of the charger). Is that real or way overstated? On the more modern ESB chargers, the highest I saw was about 35kW

Advertisement