Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options
1565758596062»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah same in Galway. Ground is like concrete and grass growth is very slow.

Dunsany has received 31mm so far in July. Last year it got 184mm in total for July.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭appledrop

Stop wazzledazzle, my husband was only joking saying ah the Aer Lingus strike is postponed so they will definitely be no cancelled flights we will have to go home!

Dreading the thoughts ofweather at home, but all good things must come to an end and in fairness the kids are terrible eaters when they are away so couldn't stay for too long or they would turn into a chip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I think this summer feels nostalgic. Reminds me of summers of the late 70s/ early 80s. Not that I have a huge memory from back then as I was only young.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Very cloudy in Wexford but well insulated as it’s quite warm.
    Bit of a breeze tickling the trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Warmest spots are Dublin today with 22c further west its 18c , its the same here in carrick, haven't gone out yet I'm still in bed as I still have covid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Overcast, humid, warm for the first time in a long time in Maynooth.

Not lovely though, very little sunshine at all. But it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Ah it's grand sure, think of all the benefits of coming home, like ehh people noticing you have been away that you have a tan and only needing gloves and a duffle for about an hour first thing in the morning 🤣

It's not actually cold at all (for now)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Poor to average I think. 1980 was quite a dull summer in particular if I remember. I don't remember much in the way of heatwaves those yrs. Testing my memory but I think May 1978 had a decent warm summery spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Banarol

August wasn’t good in years? Was there not a heatwave in August 2022? The all time August record was broken with a 32.1 C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I'd agree. From a being outside perspective, it has been a whole lot better than last summer. Has been cool and some shyte evenings but have been able to get out and stay out quite a bit. Notice the lack of typical June / July bloom in the hedges etc. Not much growth.

crappy aul evening again. The nagging wind the dark clouds the lack of any heat all in evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭esposito

August 2022 being the exception. All other Augusts after 2003 were pretty dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

All similar enough ...warmish with showery grey days and some sunny spells

Outstanding heatwave summer was 1976 .

It was the first summer I clearly remember. Idyllic .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I would take the last 3 months every year if offered. Dry outdoors most days until 10pm+. A bit warmer for growth maybe.

We have rain in Galway now. First time during daytime in around 2 weeks. Well needed too.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly at

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Cool, cloudy, breezy evening in South Wicklow after a warm day with some nice sunny spells. Going to give the lawn a mow now but doesn't really need it, just want to get it done before the wet few days ahead. The lack of growth in general is really telling of how cool it has been overall.

Now while us and northwest Europe are stuck under this cold pattern the last 6 weeks the weekend it's looking like a temporary lift in temperatures but southern Europe will be basking in heat with extreme temperatures and heatwave conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

there’s nothing unusual about this weather, we live under an almost permanent blanket of cloud, we see sat images every summer of a sunny Europe with our island out in the Atlantic cloud covered. Periods of prolonged sunshine (especially in July and Aug) are rare which is why they live long in the memory.

edit: I had a look at sat24 after I posted the above and guess what ..

It's below average temperatures so it is a little unusual and especially so because where stuck under this blocked pattern

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Most places are running ~1.5-2C below average, that's significant by any measure. Pretty sure Syren posted a few days ago that it was one of the windiest summers recorded so far, AND sunshine is well below average.

So yes our climate isn't great but this is poor even by our low standards. The fact it has been relatively dry is the only saving grace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,140 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dark evening with heavy rain here in Castlebar

Was out at a game tonight it was terrible. Cold windy dark honestly horrible also on and off drops of rain. Everyone saying the same thing about how dire the summer is. I except it might be very localised but anyone in south Tipp west Waterford east Limerick here will concur I’m sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Thunder87

Definitely been an awful summer so far where I'm based in north Dublin, endless dark grey skies, temperatures stuck in the teens (today was the first day in 3 weeks to even reach 20C and only the 5th all summer) and on the rare occasions the sun does come out there's that incessant breeze making sure we don't get any notions of feeling warm.

Even an 'average' summer in this country is crap so to have basically every metric other than rainfall significantly worse than average I don't see how anyone can argue this is a normal summer

Yes that's what I was saying too, I mean it has been a crap 1st half of summer now our only hope is August and 1st half of September, its just a shame because if we were on the south side of the jet we'd be 6 weeks into mid 20s and that would just be unreal but there is still a chance for August

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Malin has done well compared to most for sunshine this past week but not much sun with me in comparison. Valentia the sunniest spot, often the wettest so who could begrudge them. A wet evening in store for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Tomorrow UKV will a pleasant 21c for Dublin. Heat stroke warning with 13c in the NW.

Advertisement