Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maple floor damage

• 03-07-2024 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭

someone put a ladder on my nice maple floor

What’s the best way to go about repairing it please? I’m looking at osmo but can’t find the maple version.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭LimerickGray

any ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Sand it out.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

the photo is deceptive. The dents are about 3mm deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What finish is currently on the floor , is it solid or laminate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Hmm. I'm not sure I'd try the wet tea towel and an iron trick on that, in case it damages the finish, unless you've any offcuts or spares you could test on?

Put drops of water in the dents, leave it a few minutes, then cover the dented area with heavy, plain brown paper, make sure there's no writing or anything printed on the brown paper, then place a very hot iron on the paper for 5 seconds, you may have to repeat for a second time, that should take the dent's out. If its lacquered osmo may darken the floor, if you need to refinish, sand the area lightly with 320 grit paper and get a can of clear cellulose lacquer spray, if you are not familiar with woodwork practice on a scrap piece of wood first.

even the maple osmo? I filled in ball holes years ago with it and it seemed ok but holes are dmdll

Ok you are talking about Osmo wood filler, I thought it was Osmo oil. What I described above is a way to remove dents without wood filler, I've never used Osmo filler

• Advertisement

anyone know where I cat get sample filler?

sorry. Osmo maple filler

any more ideas on this? I can’t find maple osmo filler. Finish is Matt lacker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Were you able to find an offcut to try the 'steaming' option?

I did. Worked ok but substrate was raw and original is lackuered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hope it’s not knackuered.

I tried the hot iron and paper method and no joy. I also tried filler but it doesn’t stay in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Gosh , I presume as it is a new floor and you want it perfect . I would have been the same ..years ago ..before kids , parties , friends with stilettos etc

It's a floor at the end of the day.

Not trying to minimise it but am really I suppose !

It's minute and only someone looking for it would notice ..it will be lost in a sea of dents and scratches in a few years and you may decide to sand it back and relacquer then , or you may just sit back enjoy your lovely floor and it's lived in 'patina ' .

In my experience filler can look worse unless expertly sanded back so would try the damp iron technique if still bothers you .

I think the hot damp iron technique is failing as it is not penetrating the lacquer.

Oh , did you not sand back a little before you tried the filler?

That could be why it's not sticking.

Again I think this is so minute trying to fix it will only make it more obvious .

• Advertisement

trying to fix before my wife is back on Friday lol. Eyes like a hawk

Yeah lol .

I have them too , but have had to just move on and learn to accept that nothing is or stays perfect forever , or go live in my own little apartment somewhere and see my family occasionally…or go mad !

Its very annoying I agree .

Maybe a meal ready and a bottle of wine

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dr Hater

I fixed a few dents on my laminate floor and even tiles using a Quick-Step repair kit, and I have to say the results are amazing.

Advertisement