Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new phone for about €200

• 13-07-2024 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭

hi, am looking for recommendations for a new phone. Looking to spend around €200 and can't decide between

Redmi note 13

Motorola G54

Am back using a Poco X3 that would have been recommended here a couple of years ago but it's acting up a little bit. of the above 2 which one would you good people recommend or is there a better phone or there for around the same money?

Phone is mainly used for maps, navigation and social media. Camera isn't really important as I rarely take photos .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I've had a couple of moto Gs in the past and they've always performed well. I can't vouch for the model you mentioned however but they tend to come packed with features for a bargain price. Check if it has NFC and wireless charging if that's important to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I have a g54 and I can't fault it.

Maybe only that it doesn't have dual SIM.

Great phone and well supported with screens and cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Thanks for your feedback, looks like they both have NFC, and neither have wireless charging. NFC is probably important alright, wireless charging is handy but not a deal breaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,762 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A lot of the consideration is what you actually need your phone for.

Lots of people seem to need a good camera, others game and so need a decent processor and high quality screen.

But most of us probably use their phone for little more than occasional surfing, social media, the odd photo of the kids and little else.

As an example, I recently changed from my old S10e to a S24, and to be honest I haven't noticed much difference considering what I use my phone for. Slightly smoother display and speedier, but not a major leap. I also bought 2nd hand to save a bit of money. I don't think I have ever bought a brand new phone in the last 15 years. You can pick up mint 2nd hand ones and save plenty.

A cheaper Moto phone or similar probably would have done me, but I have been using Samsung for many years and wanted to stick with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭thomil

The CMF Phone 1 by Nothing might also be worth a look-in:

https://ie.nothing.tech/pages/cmf-store

It’s got decent specs (no NFC, though), the screen and camera are apparently surprisingly good, and it’s also got quite a bit of character, with changeable back plates and accessories you can literally screw onto the phone. I recommend checking out reviews by the likes of Flossy Carter or Mrwhosetheboss if you want to see more about it.

Nothing has built up quite the reputation for building “unique” phones and if I hadn’t sold my soul to the folding phone gods, I’d consider going for one of their phones myself.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

thanks for the feedback, I think the NFC is something that I'd really need as I use it quite often but didn't even think about it when costing a phone.

Like Niman said above I only really use it for social media and maps, even photos I tend to just get someone else to take it and send it to me😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

Is there any 200 quid phone that has wireless charging 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Genghis

This is very good for the money. It's €50 more but worth it for a well made phone, uberfast charging, very decent camera and NFC.

https://amzn.eu/d/0eWpihEB

Thanks for the tips and advice. Went with the Motorola g84 for €210 in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Are OnePlus even issuing updates for that phone anymore considering it was released 3 years ago - it apparently has just gone EOL on 1st July - https://www.oneplus.com/uk/psti

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭moggser

Jaysis, the 12 has more years left on it than the open…. thats shocking ,

Advertisement