Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What's your solution to the immigration crisis?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If you're talking about Dundrum in Co. Tipperary

The hotel was burned and is closed for a long long time.

The asylum seekers stay in holiday homes across the site (really nice apartments) and the owner is an American dude, the less said about him the better, nasty is being to kind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

None of your business

• Registered Users Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So you think tents should be allowed encamp along our city centre waterways ? Or is it that you think posh people live there so that's ok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

1. Have a limit on numbers in line with what the country can realistically expect to support without impacting on service levels

2. Have an efficient application system which, when a decision is made, the applicant is deported if its rejected

3. Anyone who gers convicted in court is deported permanently.

4. Have a visa system based on skills requirements.

Some basic process which is clearly lacking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Anecdotal stuff is frowned upon here didn't you know. I'd expect your anecdote to be deleted since that's what happens to them, um, sometimes.

Agree with all this but I think you owe me an answer on Paschal first.

A limit on numbers will be hard to enforce and encourage more illegal migrants. The NI border is a sieve. And where do you house the ones being processed?

I also asked Sweet Science.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

1 and 2 aren't at all feasible.

3 not possible in every scenario, but that's the focus of current policy.

4 is already in place for visas. Work permits are issued where there's deemed to be industry shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jisakix

I see an article in the Irish Times about 30 additional sites identified and being made ready for asylum seekers.

The equivalent of 30 more coolock events?

And after those 30, what about the next 30?

And after this year, what about the next year?

That's without getting beyond the initial warehousing of people, not even attempting to explain what's supposed to happen with all these people next. Also without acknowledging that there is a growing majority of Irish people that can't move down the road for lack of affordable/available housing.

I know it's too easy sometimes to be overly dramatic and make silly statements, but goodness gracious! With practically zero acknowledgement from any major party on the sentiment of the entire country, rather an acceleration in spite of what people want, how could you not be expecting some mass upheaval?

I find it far too realistic to see some random shocking event turning into a cascading nationwide reaction.

I said it before, but I have never, ever seen such astounding ignorance and disregard for inevitability.

It was michael mcgrath who.left for a EU gig. Not paschal.

Govt has no plan. Just throw money at hotels and hopefully it works out.

A small village in Tipp is about to get completely over run with thousands of migrants and it seems to be grand.

• Advertisement

I've already posted some measures which I think we should look at.

But what's important here, especially in the context of recent days, is to be aware that there is no quick fix to this issue readily available to our government, or indeed being proposed by any of the major parties.

Some fringe political figures have proposals but from what I can see these are only going further with measures which have already failed, or wouldn't be practical to apply here.

Given then the unsustainable spending we have coming from policing these protests, arson attacks, riots etc. I see no option available to the gov other than to crack down on the violent and dangerous elements within the anti-immigration movements. This might involve some legislative changes to distinguish between legitimate and bogus 'peaceful' protestors, domestic terrorism laws etc.

A positive knock on effect, welcome to many whether left, right or center, might be improvements in how we deal with repeat offenders.

Let's speak clearly here.

If all migration, all of it, were put at zero for the next decade, only then would we have a chance of affordable housing again.

And that's an "if".

And that's with zero migration.

And that's a decade.

I saw yesterday that 190 odd social Holmes were built this year so far. The 500 people about to be moved into coolock would have swallowed that up in a week. I know, they aren't going to be given a home immediately. Regardless, that's still 500 added onto the demand down the road.

You can't navigate your way out of extreme conditions with moderate approaches. And who doesn't recognise that? You might not say it, you might not like it, but you know it.

And the most recent iteration of affordable on the Oscar Traynor Road is half a million.

I can't see Ireland following the Danish approach and it's worth noting that none of our serious political figures are proposing it.

We're far too dependent on the EU to follow that approach of just pushing IPAs towards other EU countries.

After that we simply don't have the police resources to implement that kind of surveillance of IPAs.

Nor is the Danish approach likely to work if taken up more widely within the EU. It then just becomes a general deterrent policy, the type which have been shown to fail repeatedly.

It was me who told you about McGrath. Apology accepted 😉

I agree the government have no plans. I doubt the next government will have a plan.

Will the EU migration pact help?

Which Tipp village is being overrun with 1000s of migrants?

That's not considering the rental disaster situation either. And every predictable knock on effect, from family formation to employment opportunity.

The approach by some in this country is just so drastically out of touch with reality it beggars belief.

The equivalent of an extremely obese person having gorged themselves for a decade, the doctors telling them they will die within a week without emergency surgery, only for the person to deny it and try negotiate with a suggestion they'll cut down to only 10 greasy burgers per day.

Its an utter ridicule of reality.

Just some accuracy about Dundrum House hotel .

"Dundrum House was opened as a hotel in 1981. In April 2014 the property went into receivership and KPMG took over the management of the Resort. Following a fire in September 2015 during which the Hotel Ballroom and Kitchens were damaged, the Hotel building was closed to guests and visitors."

The golf course, clubhouse and restaurant separate to the main building have been in use all along .and used for functions .

The present owner Jeff Leo who purchased Dundrum House and Golf Resort in 2019 hoped to start redevelopment of the main house before the pandemic but it didn't get there , and he has been leasing golf lodges to the government for Ukrainians for the last 18 months .

The main building has yet to be refurbished and hasn't been in use for many years now .

Obviously cutting his losses here at this stage .

It's a shame for the community to be fair , mostly rural small village . Historic and reputedly haunted old Georgian building

https://www.tipperarylive.ie/news/home/433271/co-tipperarys-dundrum-househotel-gears-up-for-multi-million-euro-upgrade.html

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.dundrumhousehotel.com/dundrum-history.htm&ved=2ahUKEwiyzZu2rq6HAxUSUkEAHVh6ArcQFnoECBQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2qysw0X6qYpxd8_-4sBcTk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Do you ever actually read what you put up??? There is all the difference in the world between what was envisaged with that a few years ago and 550+ occupancy conversion of a factory. It's the difference between your neighbour putting in a septic tank and the council or Irish Water building a municipal sewage treatment plant on your doorstep. You might ignore the former but you'd bloody well take a long hard look at the latter.

But do you read?? I'd be embarrassed if I put that link up as evidence to back an argument.

The conditions include the below:

• The works required should be mainly to the interior of the building with limited external works being permitted which should be in keeping with the building and neighbouring buildings, including the provision of on-street access to upper floors and alterations to existing ground floor shop fronts in respect of window and architectural details.
    • Works to the ground floor of a structure should not conflict with an objective in a development plan for the structure to remain in retail use, with the exception of works solely for the provision of on-street access to upper floors.
    • No more than 9 individual residential units can be provided in a building.
    • Minimum standards apply to residential units being developed such as minimum requirements in relation to overall floor areas, storage space requirements and the need for adequate natural light in living rooms and bedrooms.
    • Works to a protected structure are not permitted.
    • Works for the provision of on-site wastewater treatment and disposal systems i.e. septic tanks, are not permitted under the exemption.
    • Works are not permitted in a number of limited areas, such as areas of special planning control, areas to which special amenity area orders relate and within certain proximity distances of establishments to which the major accident regulations apply.
    • There is provision for issues such as bats and nesting birds which are protected by EU legislation.
    • The development must not contravene a condition attached to a prior planning permission obtained.

No more than 9 individual residential units……………………………… not FIVE HUNDRED.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭dublin49

Are the powers that be not allowed to look beyond second half of 2024 because its too daunting .Who would have thought that we would have to house 100s of thousands of non nationals in the coming years before we even consider our own people.

• Advertisement

I'll tell you what I know, rather than think.

This situation has been left run rampant and is going to end in shame. That's as near a fact as you'll get.

All the twiddling talk of this model and that model, this country and that country, no plan, vaguest of acknowledgements, acceleration, no mandate, no representation, and far too much money involved.

Honestly, if I were to bet on how this situation rectifies itself, it will be through chaos.

There is next to no patience left for it anymore and I'll say again that I can see some random shocking event creating a cascade reaction across the country.

In other words, it won't be politics leading the people, it will be people leading the politics.

That it has been allowed reach such a point is an indictment of the recklessness and greed steering this ship. For years upon years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

The principals the same and given the amount of unused commercial property in the country, especially in rural areas, it certainly allows that larger number of residents could move to an area exempt from planning.

I don't know why you've highlighted about changes to exterior of the building or sewage works. I really don't think that's what anybody was rioting about, do you?

Doesn't really answer the question though. Shame isn't a fact. Is it physically possible? For example, it would need a hard border with NI at a very minimum. Agreed? What else?

It answers the question in the most efficient way possible.

We are onboard a soon to be train wreck. It is going to crash and burn. Not if, not maybe, its a definite.

The fact that the same tired rebuttals at doing anything keep coming up, year after year, each year worse than the last, simply demonstrates how bad of a disaster this is going to be, and why its accelerating.

Or if you prefer planes to trains, the equivalent of being on a malfunctioning plane about to crash surrounded by idiots doubting every single potential move that could be made.

"Don't steer up! That's impossible!"

"You can't turn right! That's suicide"

"You can't jump out! We'll die"

"You can't do anything!"

Well then f**k it, we're going straight into the side of the mountain then. Let's see who survives the wreck and have a good laugh about it later. But hitting that mountain we most certainly will be.

It is possibly the most inefficient way to answer the question. Lots of emotive nonsense really.

The question is how we could physically lock down Ireland to allow for zero immigration? It's the thread title. I made one key suggestion (hard border NI, doable), you have offered zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Ireland is one of the last Member States in which an asylum seeker will arrive when in the EU, asylum seekers are ‘pushed’ from Denmark to Sweden or from Italy to France, but it is practically impossible to ‘push’ an asylum seeker to another EU Member State from Ireland. All you do is disincentivise them travelling on to Ireland. Certain policies of deterrence involve an investment in personnel, others don’t, for example, moving from offering permanent permission to temporary permission doesn’t require a ridiculous increase in staffing. Begin by implementing the policies that don’t require considerable upfront investment, but the Government has to invest in personnel and infrastructure on asylum regardless, so it isn’t really a question of increasing investment, it is only a question of where we increase investment. I maintain it should be in policies of deterrence. As for a lack of political will, that is the only point I’ll give you. That’s why it’s important that people begin to become aware of it as a policy option. An EU Member State doesn’t have to elect a far-right party and commit crimes against humanity to implement policies of deterrence, a left-leaning Government has introduced policies of deterrence specifically intended to be in-line with the minimum EU requirements. If the public were aware of these policy options, I reckon they would be very popular. Media won’t cover them, politicians won’t discuss them unless specifically asked, the message on effective policies of deterrence has to be spread, too many people associate all criticism of asylum policy with absolute head-cases burning buildings.

No, it is the most efficient answer because it underlines the fact of the matter. We are 100% hellbound for disaster.

The implication being that anything should be on the table.

As I said above regarding housing alone, it would require zero migration for practically a decade to improve it.

That being the very measurable case, then zero migration should be chased.

Anything less than emergency level solutions for emergencies is simply inadequate.

We wouldn't have to be considering emergency measures had this been tackled years ago. But here we are, thanks to that.

Just consider the tangible changes over the last decade regarding all of this. You could count them if you had no hands. An utter disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The situation has gone beyond what people will tolerate. The Govt. are not listening to people.

Regardless of allowing more people in... they won't be able to integrate them. What matters in Ireland is.. connections, family.. also known as social capital.

Most of these immigrants won't have this... And they won't achieve or own anything.

Advertisement