Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

500L Preformed Pond Successfully Buried, What Now?

• 16-06-2024 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭

After a few days of horrific digging I finally got a 500L OASE pond in the ground, one of these.

My question is what do I do now? Layer it with gravel? Sand? Marine compost?

Also is it too late in the year to start buying aquatic plants like water lilies etc?

I already have little stone staircases set up in case any of my hedgehogs fall in btw, will take pics once Ive tidied up a bit…

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am only speaking from research, my pond hasn't happened yet, and if it doesn't stop raining it will be another year round. (Have to take a digger across the grass). Anyway one school of thought seems to be to put in plants in containers, the other is put a layer of sub soil - the really poor, yellow-y stuff from well down - into it to support plants. I think I will be going with the sub-soil theory, but I have no actual experience yet.

The other theory is that in order to get loads of oxygenating bacteria going you need lots of surface - like gravel and stones - as against the smooth plastic, so that would suggest a layer of subsoil and a layer of gravel. As I say though, this is just what I have read up, so don't take it that I know what I am talking about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

Fill it with rainwater, maybe by rigging up a tarp or something to direct rainfall into the pond. We went to a local lake and got a few buckets of the mud on the bottom. It was full of little wriggly things that helped to keep the pond alive and balanced. We picked up some plants with the mud, including water lilies. Threw it in and left it for a good while, a year I think, before adding fish. That was about 25 years ago and the pond is still very clean and fresh with zero intervention. We bought a filter thing but never bothered installing it. The fish were ordinary petshop goldfish, who settled in very well and made baby fishies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭macraignil

Taking a bucket of water from an existing pond to introduce the microscopic ecosystem components is a good idea and I did this myself to get my own pond started in the right direction. Within weeks there were visible water skaters and beetles active in the water and it was kept fairly clear for the first four or five years with nothing other than a few marginal plants (Creeping Jenny) on the edge of the pond adding oxygen to the water when photosynthesis is active during the day.

Somehow last year duck weed managed to get into the pond and this now makes a covering on the surface that I don't appreciate but it does provide tadpoles with food and I could see them feeding on it today while at the same time missing the effect of seeing the reflections from the pond surface which was a nice feature before this plant found its way in. Will rake some out again in the next few days. Just used the water from the house well to fill it without it being a problem and I don't see not using just rain water to fill the pond initially as being a problem, but treated drinking water might be an issue with an existing pond. I have left extra pond liner up hill from the pond to allow rain find its way onto the pond and so do not top up the pond from the tap which would not be that easy since it is a distance from the house. I wanted to have a home for frogs (so they can eat slugs) as my priority with the pond so fish were not a good idea since these will eat the young tadpoles and frog eggs.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thanks but am I putting a layer of gravel/sand/marine compost on the bottom or just leaving it to do its thing? Or should I just throw a couple of buckets of mud from some nearby wetlands in there?

Maybe a bit of gravel won't do any harm and might provide a habitat for some organism or other. Now that I think about it, gravel might provide a solid base for plants to take root. If you go to a garden centre they'll tell you that you need some super-expensive gravel that is specially designed for ponds. Don't be taken in by any of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

There's nothing you have to do. If you leave it as it is, over time Mother Nature will create a layer of sludge at the bottom and a selection of creatures will set up house accordingly. Everything else you might do is a variation on this theme, and everything you do will change the range of plants and animals that decide to (or can) live happily in the space available.

If you're not trying to (re)create a particular type of habitat, a few buckets of gravelly rubble on one side and a few more of muddy sludge on the other will speed up that first stage. Maybe an old tree-root or a knobbly branch too for additional texture. Anything's better than bare plastic.

Remember that mud brought in from another pond/lake will introduce whatever's in that pond, which may or may not be a good thing. Personally, I prefer the reward and excitement of leaving Mother Nature to choose what works and what doesn't over the course of the first few years, so my pond was/is filled only with rainwater.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd look for a standard oxygenating plant anyway, but as mentioned, it will probably introduce critters; which as per CelticRamblers post, you may or may not consider to be a good thing.

Okay thats a weight off my mind, it took a good few stones to build the hedgehog stairs so Ill probably just throw in a few scoops of gravel and leave it at that for this year anyway, thanks all.

Did the final tidy up today, Ill think about stones and other decoration options while I wait for it to fill, need to figure out something for birds to perch on aswell, I suppose its too late for any planting around the edges this year?

It looks so small in the pic but its way bigger than I thought it would be, its some amount of work to get one in the ground on your own.

Its in the middle of my future wildflower area so I scattered a bag of seeds from connectingtonature on the bare dirt, probably a bit optimistic at this time of year but Ill be doing a proper job on it in October.

That's going to be gorgeous. Make sure to keep us updated!

• Advertisement

And of course just as I get it finished the 8 months of non-stop rain in Limerick comes to an end and we get a week of sunshine…

In times of great uncertainty one thing of which we can be sure is that, sooner or later, it will rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

You should pee in it too, good way to start the nitrogen cycle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I don't think I'd recommend pissing in a pond, you don't want high nitrogen levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

It got its first rain today, I was a bit worried about the leveling because my big level went missing in the house move so I had to use a little footlong one, it occurred to me right after I backfilled all the empty space that I could have used a golf ball and it did look a bit high on the right side so I was a bit nervous but it is perfect, the waterline matches the ridge lines in the plastic to the millimeter, this kind of thing never goes right for me 😁

Just need to raise the soil level a bit around the edges now and then get decorating…

So is it too late this year to plant some edge plants in the trenches around the edges or should I just wait until Spring? It would be nice to soften the edges a bit but I can wait.

What would be the best way to go about greening it up a bit if its not too late?

I would like for you to buy plants.

Coming along, still looks a bit crap but not "WTF have I done" crap. Need to get bigger and flatter rocks and make a proper flat landing around it with more dead wood from the parents land. I suppose now Ill just give it time.

All the bare dirt around it will be getting raked and planted with wildflower meadow seeds in Autumn.

The Nymphaea alba water lily in the centre doesnt seem to be doing too well, the main leaf is brown around the edges with only a bit of green in the centre and the other leaves are sitting underwater not doing anything but its only been in there for a week so we'll see how it goes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭rje66

Are you going to fill up to the top with water??. When plants fill out it will look a lot better. Lots more stones too....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Doesn't look crap at all. Following, put lots of pics up as it progresses, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭rje66

With these types of water features the water needs to be circulated. Otherwise it's just a body of stagnant water. If you can get some kind of small pump to make a bit of a fountain or waterfall effect this helps oxygenating the water helping to reduce algae. Or better still get a basic bio filter with uv light on it. But wait to see how it goes first. Its easy enoughtoadd bits as you go along . See pics of my pond, thinks it's 900 L capacity. I have some fish in there and with very little maintenance water is usually fairly clear.

Wow thats nice, Im not interested in fish though so from what Ive read as long as you have some oxygenating plants it should be fine.

Im letting it fill up with rain from now on, most of the water in it was just to weigh it down during installation, its gaining a bit of depth most days even in the current dry spell, no fear of it not getting enough water in Limerick. Ill be spreading a pack of damp soil wildflower seeds around it with a few foxgloves and ferns aswell soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭macraignil

I found the golden leaf form of Creeping jenny that I already had growing in the garden elsewhere to be very good to cover the edges of the pond I built and it is very easy to propagate. There is a good view of how it looks at the start of my latest video post here even with it now overgrown by some other plants that were put in place around the pond it still stretches into the water a bit and seems to provide good shelter for pond life. I also read that filtration is only needed for keeping fish which I avoided as they would eat frog eggs which I had as my main reason for making the pond.

Happy gardening!

an ornamental fish pond is a different beast to a wildlife pond. if you have fish, yes, you might need a circulation system, but a wildlife pond can easily get away without one.

Advertisement