Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone playing a 7 wood?

Options
  • 17-07-2024 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone here plays a 7 wood and can give their opinion on them, good or bad?

I'm considering changing up that end of my bag but have never really hit one before. I rarely use my 4i on full shots and tbh it's only really used for punching out of trees etc. I could use a 5i and get the same result, so I'm thinking about maybe removing the 4 and replacing with something else.

My next club is a 3 hybrid at 19° so I think a 7 wood isn't a bad choice loft-wise? Obviously a gapping session and a fitting is the way to go but I'm cheap and I like to trust strangers on the internet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭token56

I have a 7 wood and have started to use it a lot more recently. I do really like it as I find it easy to strike, control direction on, and it is consistent but the biggest issue for me is it's versatility. It might just be me but I find the ball flight is always very high on it and difficult to control. I also wouldn't say it's the easiest to shot shape. At the moment in relatively calm conditions it's fine but in windy weather I find myself using it very rarely. I just don't have the confidence in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

That's the one thing I'm maybe a little bit concerned about. I've seen lots of people say they love it because of the height and stopping it quickly on a green but I'm concerned about it going too high in windy weather. I suppose I could always swap back to the 4i on windy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I have one and to me it's a game-changer.

I had a 3w and 5w, and there wasn't enough of a difference in flight, etc... to merit having both in the bag

I hit the 3w better overall, so dropped the 5w and added a 7w instead.

The issue Token is mentioning as a problem is actually the thing I most love about it, ie. The increased height on the flight. It now gives me a new option from distance of hitting a green with a trajectory that will hold a green, as well as giving me options on things like dogleg par 5s to carry trees on the corners and leave myself shorter approach shots. I wouldn't have a massively high ball flight in general so the extra air from the club is a gain for me.

I actually have the gaps in my bag to keep a 4H too. Compared to each other the total distances would be similar but they offer very different trajectories.

It's probably one of the best things I've added to my bag

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Food for thought. I think I'll seriously consider it.

What model do you have in the bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

7 wood is great. I have one and the high flight, coupled with it's ability to give decent results from the rough and a very predictable yardage. It is a direct swap for my 4i at the moment with the extra wedge in use for the summer.

4i will go further but much lower trajectory and all that brings in.Less certainty.

My 7w is a cobra aerojet {adjustable} but most brands will be much the same.

• Advertisement

Same as Bakerbhoy, I've the Cobra Aerojet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Not hit a 7 wood but I would have thought a hybrid would be much better and more versatile.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with hitting one. The loft gives you the ability to hit it in the rough, similar to a hybrid, but I get where you're coming from.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I was thinking of investing in one and taking out my 4 iron which I never use (I use a 6 or 7 iron to pitch out from under trees!!)

I love my 3 wood and hit it consistently most of the time, same with my 24 degree hybrid which I can hit about 170m off the deck. Would a 7w be any advantage then?

I only use a 5iron on one hole in Tullamore, the 12th par 3. Rarely comes out of the bag after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭coillcam

The top of my bag is 3w (15'), 7w (21'), 3i (19'), 5i (24').

I love the 7w because it's easy to hit, good from rough and you can shape it if required. Lands like a sack of spuds and stops. 5w was kind of redundant due to tight gapping when I tried it. 100% I do not hit the 7w into the wind as it sails offline easily and is hard to gauge carry. No different than if I had 8/9/PW full it'd be silly, you'd club down and swing smooth to keep it under the wind. So 3w or 3i depending on circumstances when it's windy.

3i is more of a tee club and I never carried a 4i (21' in my iron set model). The 200-205yd shot for a par3/approach is typically a smooth 7w with a shortened grip or slight cut. 210-220 is full rip and I have the 3i to deal with wind or if I need to chase one in. 190-200 is covered by my 5i.

I'm not sure what exactly happened with hybrids as I loved them when I started. Now I don't like the way they sit and don't strike them as well.

• Advertisement

Would be a good gap for you after 24° hybrid Charlie. Worth testing out. Mine is 21°.

If there's a range near Portarlington, you're welcome to give mine a quick try before the boards outing

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I could have written this post too. Before I carried a 3 and 5 wood, but now have a 3 and 7 wood and a 4 or 5 hybrid. 7 wood is lovely to hit (becoming more popular on tour also not that that applies to us!), I guess into a strong wind with the high ball flight it comes up short but that's the same with most clubs.

Interesting talk about Fleetwood earlier that he actually carries a 7w and 9w normally in the bag, but has them changed up for this week given the conditions and course

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

thanks a million, I’m probably heading up your way soon, changing my irons again. Am just not getting on with the titleist and I stupidly sold my taylormades. Need something a bit more forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

have a stealth 7 wood. Easy to hit flies high and lads soft. I love it. Am thinking on taking hybrid 3 out

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 6.5x55 seller ammo

Like others have said here - the 7w has been a game changer for me. Good launch height and a very predictable distance with a short stop. I’m using the TM Sim 2 Max.

Advertisement