Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

You're pretty much just confirming that Ireland would be pushing IPAs towards other EU countries. Somebody choosing to not come here means they will go to another EU country, regardless of whether they have already landed here.

It's exactly the type of thing we need to avoid given the serious existential threat a split on immigration lines poses to the EU.

There's a reason this approach isn't being seriously considered in Ireland and it's not because people aren't aware of it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44632471

https://www.reuters.com/breakingviews/eu-is-stuck-with-its-one-trick-refugee-policy-2023-10-09/

https://theconversation.com/how-migrant-crisis-could-lead-to-the-break-up-of-the-eu-41727

After that it's just another deterrent approach, which have failed elsewhere and don't come without consequence even if some look superficially that they might be implemented cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

So again. Lots of vague words. Zero how. WUM methinks.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jisakix

Any how.

As I said before, I see this less as a politically solved situation, and increasingly a people led solution.

Whatever disastrous shape that takes.

I just find it ever more difficult to believe that, considering the zero attempts at tangible change over 10 years by politicians , they will now magically manifest as some lightning quick efficient organisation.

What I see at the same time is a country perhaps a year or two away from mass upheaval.

If its a race, I know who I'm betting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

It doesn’t ‘push’ asylum seekers anywhere that they aren’t in to begin with, 70% of them are secondary movements from other Member States to Ireland. You know this. Ireland implementing policies of deterrence isn’t something that could be blamed on the State in the way you suggest. Yes, Sweden can say that Denmark is pushing asylum seekers on the State. France can say that Italy is pushing asylum seekers on the State. Germany cannot say that Ireland is pushing asylum seekers on to State. Nowhere can - we’re an island on the edge of Europe. We are downstream of all of this. So this idea that the State would be blamed is a fiction. And as far as your two old opinion pieces are concerned, they don’t say anything other than that migration is an existential policy point for the EU. Sure, I agree with that, start reducing migration EU wide by implementing policies of deterrence that compliment externalisation policies. There’s limited utility in making it harder for people to get to the EU if you don’t make getting to the EU less attractive!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He was spot on with his remarks here. Country is a mess because we have no respect for law and order. We’re a stones throw from anarchy. Quite a few at these “peaceful” protests are real vermin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Nonsense.

11,938 social housing units delivered in 2023 according to a press release on gov.ie yesterday.

More funding in 2024 too so how could it drop to from almost 6,000 in the first half of 2023 to 190 in 2024?

Your source a caller into Joe Duffy?

You always have to wonder at the confidence of people. You really do.

Despite my number being slightly off, and slightly the wrong time frame as I was going from memory. You may have seen it on the television or in several newspapers over the last few days. Or perhaps your memory is selectively worse than mine and hearkens back to literally last years news.

Here's an excerpt for you. I'll probably not wait for your apology on calling up to date statistics "nonsense".

" There have been just 158 new-build social homes delivered in the first three months of the year, new data from the Department of Housing shows.

According to figures published on Tuesday, a total of 720 social homes have been either built, acquired or leased out in the first three months of the year. This compares to the overall target of 12,930 set out as part of the Government's Housing For All plan."

Laughable.

As I said, those three months worth of new social housing wouldn't cover a weeks worth of refugees.

Just to add in an edit: what kind of cretin "liked" that person's wildly out of touch question, AFTER I literally supplied the statistics?

I said we run this country on the intellect of two avocados. Well now its demoted to a single avocado.

Post edited by jisakix at

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I know we argued last night and for that I apologise .

The problem I have with your post is they ( the Danish government ) enacted stricter policies to appease a very right wing minority coalition party and that is not a road I would like to see us going down .

Ireland has had a massive 95% increase in IPO officials processing applications since 2022.

Applications from safe countries are now being turned around much faster and those seeking asylum from those same countries has dropped by 50% since January .

80% appeals from safe countries are now being rejected .Appeals take up time but this has been reduced to less than two years from most countries and 5.5 months from safe in the last year . That is a big improvement .

The next problem is removal / deportation once applications are refused and benefits are withdrawn .

Some people will leave , self deport once they get rejected others won't . Staying on , far more likely to be working in the black economy, in poverty , not paying tax and getting involved in crime .

This is where we need a stronger path from government and I would and have been in favour of encouraged deportations and forced deportations where those do not happen within a short timeframe .

But we will need places all over the country to accommodate people while being processed , at the very least .

We are not unique in Europe in this . Denmark is .

What more do you think we should be doing bearing in mind our present centrist government with centrist electorate ?

In fact it all reminds of a stupid Internet joke about candles.

It goes something to the effect of.

"Someone who is good at the economy, please help me budget for my family, we are dying.

Expenditures

Food 100 euro

rent 200 euro

Candles 70000 euro"

Person replies " stop buying candles"

The response is "no".

Let's transpose that over to just housing here, never mind everything else that's creaking.

"Someone who is good at reality, please help, we are dying under a housing crisis. Here's how it's going.

New homes built this year: 200

Inward migration this year: 12,000

What should I do?"

This country, I swear to god its running on the combined intellect of two avocado's.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 vival20062

What are the stats on immigration vs emigration for ireland 2024?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Well stop offering them everything when they arrive for starters. And just plain out tell them there wont be nothing going into the future. Shove obligations up their jacksey

I don't know. I used to be regularly up to speed with precise statistics, and whenever there was a chance to bring them up anywhere, they were just ignored outright. Obvious as the nose on your face that disaster was inbound, all just ignored and played away.

Now look at the state of it all.

I'll hazard a guess given every other year: the numbers are ridiculous. That should cover it adequately.

IIf Anyone wants to find out (and essentially waste their time), they'll find them on cso and the other usual suspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 vival20062

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭dubdamo

With the Labour government in power in the UK and the Rwanda plan dead in the water does anyone know if there has been a decrease in the numbers coming from the UK ?

I would fully expect the deficiencies in the likes of the cso to be increasing as this show continues.

The amount of undocumented who are not presenting can only be increasing.

A dramatic case in point, that Algerian man who had been in the country a week before sexually assaulting a woman. Only after arrest was it revealed that he intended to claim asylum. But would he have done so had he not been caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Emigration though isn't freeing up housing as its largely people leaving the family home which exacerbates the problem.

A salient point.

Even amongst acquaintances, it is the much younger/less likely to have a home that are leaving.

Tragic. Though I suppose if you're a head half full type of person you could call it them going on an adventure, as opposed to necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

You'll get no apologies for cherry picking stats.😄 You can't just focus on new buildings. I actually looked at the whole press release cos I would be genuinely astonished if the delivery was to be as low as you'd indicated.

You ignored the 2,550 people accommodated via hap and ras in Q1.

Then the advice of capital delivery being normally larger in Q3 and Q4; where 83% of the new build were delivered last year. Again, 11,938 were delivered, the majority in the latter half of the year.

And there being 9,179 social housing units on site. 15,000+ coming on stream. With the department advising they will surpass the 12k this year.

I fully agree with your point on the logjam but it's not the fault or cause of the migrants. Yes it's adding to the problem, which is why solutions like the paint factory are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Scar001

I know three ppl who left for Australia in the last year. Two had just finished college in 2022 and have skills required. Another went on a working holiday but has since applied for a different visa as she is a special needs assistant.

23, 23 and 28. All out of family home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,268 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

https://x.com/john_mcguirk/status/1812983361398579442?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1812983361398579442%7Ctwgr%5Ea6792c3a8b8198f4b6110b8930b47bfc2727038d%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fgript.ie%2Fcoolock-george-floyd-and-why-brute-force-wont-make-migrant-centres-popular%2F

That Donegal developer should say he's building it for migrants….

The narrative around these illegals will eventually change. It's happened in Sweden and Denmark, the consequences of uncontrolled immigration is plain to see. Unfortunately the Irish are slow to protest but I firmly believe the general election will be start of this protest

Who's the one cherry picking?

I was precise initially, your response was incorrect, my further response was even more precise, and now you're back to answer a question nobody asked.

You are cherry picking.

As for your numbers, I care less and less for the gobbledygook that gets spun out each year. It demonstrably is wildly insufficient. Every year. Wildly on the double.

The problem was never housing being built.

And before anyone activates, consider this latest ludicrosity lifted from cso

"Irish population could grow to over 7m by 2057, says CSO

Agency’s latest projections indicate inward migration will be the main driver of population growth, with birth rates predicted to fall"

Over 7 million? And they're already struggling to warehouse people in paint factories?

Nobody is ever going to outbuild that fiasco, and the ever worsening conditions that go hand in hand with it spells out societal upheaval. Clear as day.

Anyone that's about to call it doom mongering better be ready to spell out where the lacking several hundred thousand homes are going to come from, plus the insane amount of extra homes needed to keep pace.

Again, if it's a race between the likelihood of housing, adequately, an extra 1.5 to 2 million people, plus the deficit needed to bring back affordability, versus the whole shebang exploding, I'll be going with the explosion. Its simply common sense probability, or a good bet.

An additional shout out to "birth rates predicted to decline". Wow, I wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Why do we need a massive population? Please dont say pensions

• Registered Users Posts: 23,706 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We need a younger population.

Irish women are not having enough children. 2.1 children per couple is replacement level births. We are at 1.5.

A lot of immigration is needed to keep things going for a couple more decades.

The irony is the "native" Irish are in decline with or without immigration.

Unless women can be encouraged to have more children the future is very grim.

The pension ratios are decreasing rather than increasing, the opposite of what is said. Its a convenient lie and time will bear it out.

Much akin to the positively quaint tales of yesteryear where all the migrants would lead to more housing being built. Aged like milk.

Much akin to healthcare provision being improved by migration, it is now measurably worse than ever.

Now of course, you could argue that things could be worse still without massive migration. But that's getting into nebulous territory much like me saying some particular tree keeps tigers out of Ireland, "just look around at the lack of tigers".

What is happening, in my opinion, is a form of human body quantitative easing, aka cheap undercutting labour combined with asset inflation due to artificially introduced demand. Or money for some, to say it more quickly.

Refugees = your useless paint factory making you a millionaire off public funds. That's the easiest to explain of the lot. But it wouldn't have been possible without the foundation of the rest.

Just like the past damned how many years, ireland needs more people arriving into it like someone needs a hole in their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Nearly everyone I know went to Australia or elsewhere in their 20s, they're all home now. Ireland is a small island so lots of young people go to experience life abroad. Kiwis do the same. London is packed with kiwis and aussies. Nearly all the irish doctors that go to Australia come home, they go to gain experience and see the world. Irish people will always emigrate for a while or for good given the nature of ireland itself.

When the bulk of those emigrating are 20-30 age group then the birth rate falls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Damien360

Working families have to make a financial decision as we did. You need two people working to pay a normal mortgage. Childcare costs are ridiculous to the point that they are almost another mortgage. It is too expensive to have kids if you work and pay for your home. The only large families in my area are those that never worked a day in their lives. Adding a group of people that will have zero education, therefore not going to be taxpayers, to the group that don't work solves nothing.

Bear in mind we are long past the theoretical bullshiyte.

How are things going, today, with massive population increase? Not well, one might say reservedly.

Nobody in their right mind looks at 10 years worth of declining infrastructure, pauses, and thinks "let's try that again, except faster"

You want less families and less children? Make sure that the idea of a home and adequate child and healthcare continue to decline.

I could go on, but this pie in the sky stuff has proven itself already.

Predictions of over 7 million people in relative p*ssing time, while we've already reached the point of turning oap homes, student accommodation, hotels, villages and most recently attempted a paint factory into silos to store extra people, such is the startling lack of housing.

Thats the status quo. Now. Today. The result of a decade long policy. To follow that policy one day more is practical suicide for a functioning country.

For anyone who has that "ear worm", for lack of better phrase, about how "we need millions more people", take a moment to yourself and ask where did that idea come from? Was it something you divined yourself as a sensible conclusion, or was it something you were told so many times you don't even know where it originates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Quags

Advertisement