Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I make a living off the farm

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,646 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

I often see advice in the farming forum that starts with "I know someone who …". To be honest it's usually hard to take such advice too seriously as it usually lacks some important detail.

If someone owning 120 acres with no debts is losing 3,000 a year after all subsidy payments are included then they really need to evaluate what they are doing as something is fundamentally wrong, the issues in that story extend well beyond low income from farming. At those stocking rates, inputs should be relatively low, are they just throwing out fertilizer for the craic and stuffing cattle with meal to a point they'll never see a return?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭green daries

The largest majority by a long long way are sheep farmers and mostly hill farmers at that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭older by the day

Not necessarily, they may be perfectionists. The worse type of farmers. Can't rest, if they see a spot of rust, the machine must be changed, buildings perfect, no expense spared. I warn my children don't strive for perfection or don't even dare think of marrying one

• Registered Users Posts: 19,815 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Unless they are deliberately running at a loss some years to build the place up with investments and writing off the losses against 9-5 income.

But the above case sounds like an ideal candidate for tax free long term lease on a chunk of the land and keep the rest as a hobby and a base to build up on with a view to the future if they are so inclined.

• Advertisement

Both of those scenarios are entirely possible, but then it's definitely not a valid example of whether or not someone could make a living off of the farm (or even drop to part-time off farm). It's also why I said the story is missing some important detail, as second hand stories usually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

apologies for the delay on this- truthful answer is that I couldn’t tell you. I know sfa about farming as a business, my input is limited to the odd weekend of free manual labour for the guy

they could definitely do better financially by leasing the land to ground-hungry dairymen but they’re happy enough working away at it part time.
    One thing I would imagine (but don’t know for sure) is that they could do more jobs themselves if they were full time rather than contracting out because they don’t have the time. Eg a bit of spraying, topping etc

It's a big enough farm to be losing 3k, not too many would be happy enough at a loss. I hope their off farm income is substantial. Are you sure that loss is not before subsidies are paid, as that situation may not be that uncommon especially on many part time farms or there may be some other reasons as stated above like they are building/improving the farm in some way for future gains. Either way I don't think it's a good example of whether or not someone could make a living off of it if they are not even trying for some profit. Currently they have low production and high inputs if they are subbing out all machinery work even light jobs like topping.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,815 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What part of the country? Cavan perchance?

Your buddy might just be a crafty hoor pretending that he's not making any money so that you don't ask him for a few quid for your labour? 😋

• Advertisement

😄Not Cavan, but he's tight enough!!! Family, so I don't have much of an option! Tbf sometimes it's only stopping a few gaps, or running a few errands, but I mysteriously always seem to be holding a sprong or a shovel when theres a few sheds to be cleaned out and the loader can't get into all the corners:-)

Advertisement