Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting out of electric

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There's a bit of omg why are ye all talking about EVs in the EV forum going on.…don't get it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Any idea what it cost him to hand back an EQS after a few weeks? Must have cost 130k or so to buy, was he even given 100k back on it?

He could have hired someone to plug it in for him.

Silly guy to do that, so wasteful

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭prosaic

On way back to Dublin from West Kerry. 90% charge, 73 kWh battery. ABRP says I need 7 min stop to go from 40% to 65% in Moneygall. 20% to be left on arrival. Distance a bit over 310km. In theory, I don't need to stop, but I like leeway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Oh dear. What are you going to do?

• Advertisement

Just go, I guess. I could fret a bit I suppose.

Range complacent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,586 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,586 ✭✭✭✭fits

renting an e2008 next week so we will see if that persists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Same. Audi to Polestar. Great car. I'm just raging I didn't wait a few years until the price dropped. I could get a performance model now for the same price I paid for my standard edition in 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Almost everyone that bought in 2023 is in the same boat but you probably wouldn’t have got the same money for your old Audi now compared to when you traded up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,679 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I think people forget that ICE prices were way above normal as well for a few years, so there's a bit of swings and roundabouts

I know a few posters here have gotten burned on ID.3 trade in prices and aren't too happy. Particularly when you're being offered a trade in value below the GMFV

Speaking of car finance, can someone explain the point of a PCP to me? There's this whole speil about GMFV where the finance company will ensure there's a certain amount of equity in the car

But the reality seems to be that at the end of the term you're stuck with this loan you need to pay off. You can either pay it off and keep the car, sell the car and hope it pays the balance, or give the car back and get nothing

I get there's this theory that you can trade in for a new car every few years but that doesn't seem to be the reality for a few owners here

Personally I think it's just a scam so the car manufacturer can say "you can own a car for €300 per month for 3 years" without mentioning the extra balance you'll owe at the end

I certainly won't be going down the PCP route ever again 😬

Anyway, that's my rant for the evening

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I traded in an Audi after owning it for just over 2 months so got burned either way. That said, ICE second hand car values are very strong at the moment. If I had kept that Audi until now I'd be in a much better place to get a performance model polestar and likely be paying a lot less per month. If you've seen one on the road, 52k is a steal if you ask me. I know they are trying to shift them for the facelift model at the moment. Polestar Ireland really need to get the finger out now and start getting P3's and 4's on the road. Also the facelifted P2 is out over a year in the UK.

My wife plans to trade in her ID4 for the new Tiguan hybrid. I’m not a fan of it at all. Family influence, lack of understanding of her car, poor charging software. These are all contributing factors.

Post edited by n.d.os on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭User1998

Why not just plug the car in and charge it immediately? I know she’s probably trying to get the night rate but spending a few extra cents per kilowatt is nothing compared to the multiple thousands its going to cost to change to a Tiguan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The VW app is a crock of **** quite frankly. It's a lottery if it will sync with the car.

I have a simple dumb charger too so only use the timer in the car and it works OK. It doesn't recognise when it's at the home location properly so I always have to select charge at preferred time on exit. Lately too, charge for departure has not been working correctly with the car initiating charging much too late. I don't trust it anymore so if I have a must be charged appointment, I use more reliable methods, like manual or preferred times. I'm on software 3.2 BTW.

VW did a lot of damage to their brand with their woeful software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Sounds like swapping out your existing charger for a Zappi or similar might instantly solve a lot of your issues with the ID.4. It’ll be a lot cheaper than changing a car.

You’re right. I think this put her off the car. When you just want a car to get around and don’t care so much about what it is, then the ID4 isn’t ideal. I don’t think she cares about the money-saving aspect. She just wants something she doesn’t have to think about when she drives outside of Leinster. Public chargers can be a bit of a nuisance, and I see a lot of people struggle with them. If you’re not on a plan, don’t have the apps installed, or don’t fully understand how to remove the ‘hose,’ they can be really annoying. What happens when your phone is dead? Not all chargers are just plug and play. It could be a lot simpler, and you shouldn’t require a plan to save money. Individuals like my wife who just want to plug in their car for a few minutes every once in a while should be able to walk up, plug the car in, tap their card, and off they go. When it’s done, they shouldn’t have to fiddle around with the app to end the charge and press every button inside and outside the car to remove the hose. I know all of this sounds ridiculous to many, but these are the reasons why long term VW owners are going back to Tiguans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Agreed, overly complicated for many. Even the luxurious ESB rapid chargers which have the 'tap to pay' interface already integrated are not fully implemented yet. This should be an absolute given for all charge point installations on go-live; (we don't even have the facility for bank card tap on/off on public transport which is ridiculous at this stage of the game).

The general joe I'm sure would prefer not to have to faff around with downloading apps just to get some electrons. Drive up > plug in > tap your card > job done. Seriously, how hard can this be ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

You're in the unique position of owning a Polestar which in my opinion has one of the best charging set ups of them all. Very simple to use, plug in, swipe the card, return and unlock from the car which stops the charge and also prevents others messing with it while you're away. No stupid location gubbins. At home, will charge to your schedule which you can change from the app if you so desire.

Yes, it's a very simple car to use, just not ideal for everyone as it's a bit cramped in the back.

I only recently started using the ESB rapid chargers. I like them. I could be wrong but they appear to be better value than Ionity. I don't public charge very often but when I do pull up to an Ionity, I find myself arsing around with it.

They need to get rid of the apps and put a flat charge in place. Walk up, plug in, tap your card and off you go.

With Ionity I find myself using the map at times to zoom in on my location and select the charger. Ill admit I'm probably doing this wrong but it's not very obvious how to use some of these chargers when you don't use them regularly. I'd be pretty tech savvy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭terrarev

There's always going to be a cohort of people who want the latest "in" thing but aren't willing to adapt their usual routines or adapt to a new way of doing things.

I think we all accept EVs won't work for everyone but I do think they will suit most people most of the time if you embrace the change.

The fact is the owning an EV means you need to adjust how you think of fueling the car and you probably do need to have a basic willingness to embrace new technology for things like setting up apps and charger times etc.

We have a diesel and an ev at home and the diesel is every bit as "inconvenient" as the ev with needing to consider the dpf if there have been too many short journeys, standing on wet/cold forecourts to refuel, diesel smell on hands after refuelling etc. so it's a mindset as much as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I'm on my second MEB car (ID and Born). When you park it the option to charge at preferred times comes straight up on the screen. Press one button before plugging it in. Works 100% of the time for me, I'm not sure how people struggle with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Walk up, plug in, tap your card and off you go.

Its even easier than that on Ionity if your car supports the Plug 'n Charge standard.

For VW, who support Plug 'n Charge, you can simply pull into an Ionity charger, plug the car in and it starts. No apps, no buttons… it just charges in the same way Tesla's work at their superchargers.

Its also very like how a traditional petrol pump works so it should feel normal to noobs.

eCars, easygo etc just havent decided to support that plug 'n charge global standard yet. It should be mandatory along with the option to tap your card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It seems to me that you signed up for a PCP payment plan without full understanding of what you were signing up for. That was quite a silly thing to do.

For your future reference. PCP works as follows

Let's take a Tesla Model 3 RWD which retails for a little under €39k on the road. The finance company will guarantee a value of about €11k in 48 months time so they want you to pay just the other €28 like so

• A deposit of €6k
    • You borrow the remaining €22k and pay for it (with interest) over 48 months

Once the 48 months ends there is €11k left remaining on the car. You can either hand the keys over and walk away or pay off the outstanding €11k and keep the car.

I've simplified the figures somewhat but that's essentially what you are doing with a PCP.

All definitely need to have tap to charge.

Proprietary apps and subscriptions are a faff. Granted no different to fuel card or loyalty card like Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Do all MEB cars not do the same? It's in the ID.3, Born and I'm pretty sure it was in an ID.4 loaner I had.

Advertisement