Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bum strengthening/shaping

Options
  • 08-07-2024 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

What exercises are good for getting rid of a flat/weak bum? Ideally exercises I can fit in here and there during the day. I don’t have time go to the gym but I tried kettlebell for a while and didn’t notice much change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

All the major leg exercises will help your butt. You could Google exrx.net it will give you an exercise inventory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

Squat, lunges, deadlifts, hip thrusts. You’ll only notice a difference if you push yourself to lift more on these over time.

A bigger, stronger ass is an adaptation to harder training loads, so you have to give your body a reason to grow one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

When we're talking squats here, we're talking full squats, ass to calves. Anything less does minimal good for your ass. And heavyish weights.

Full range of motion on everything I listed yep. Average person's range of motion on squats is woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd have listed those 4 too, maybe a lunge variation like step ups. But if OP isn't can't find time for the gym then it's going to be pretty hard to get results.

1/4 rep squats are a not great for obvious reasons. But you don't need to be going ATG to activate glutes. Once you're going to parallel, you're pretty much maxing glute engagement. In some studies 90deg/parallel had higher glute engagement - but that's possible due to partial depth being more conducive to hip dominant LB squats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Thank you for the suggestions. Will try to incorporate some of these. In terms of what exercises to try, does it make a difference that I have plenty of muscle, it’s just lacking tone?

Good news for me is that I’m pretty flexible so deep squats are not an issue for me at all

Very welcome. 'Toning' is a term that fitness marketers came up with to make women feel comfortable lifting weights.

What most people seem to be trying to communicate when they use the term is just being in a lean state with visible muscle on your body. This is the result of two separate processes: gaining muscle, and burning body fat.

If you feel you already have sufficient muscle, then it sounds like you need to look at losing body fat.

Ah ok. I’m definitely struggling with the terminology so. Maybe I need to build muscle after all. I don’t need to lose weight so it’s not that. And I definitely have weak glutes. I was told this by a physio a couple of years ago. I’ll see how I get on with some of these suggestions. Thanks again

Why do you say you have plenty of muscle? Based on general size/strength or something else?
    When people say they want to "tone" that usually means that are happy with their weight on the scales. But want to firm up a bit. But you can't really firm up a muscle. What's actually needed reducing the losing some bodyfat, and build some muscle.
    How much of each really depends on the individual, and how lean they are.

Mentioning a "flat bum", weak glutes and not needing to lose weight. Would suggest building the glutes would be a good place to start.

I think you’re right that building muscle is the place to start. I thought there was plenty of muscle based on general size - if I tense it, there’s a round shape and it’s full of hard muscle (and yes, a layer of fat on top). I suppose I thought the muscles had gotten weak without necessarily getting smaller but what I understand from other posts here is that’s not really how it works.

I looked into the flat bum thing a bit today and I came across the term ‘mom butt’ / ‘mum bum’ and this seems to be my problem. The idea is that pregnancy and carrying little ones around all day can lead to long term posture changes (bum tucking) and that in turn leads to a weak/flat bottom. Who knew?! So I’ll be focusing on improving my posture as well as trying some of these exercises that target the bum.

I really appreciate all the responses here. I’m not a gym fitness person, more of a ‘go-for-a-walk’ person so I really had no idea where to start.

• Advertisement

There could also be an underlying weakness. That training will also correct. But a weakness or injury is not directly related to appearance. "Mom butt" from extended standing with posterior pelvic tilt would well be the issue.

If you don’t train enough to yet consider yourself a gym person, I’d be very confident that you’ll get the results you’re looking for by just getting stronger on the exercises we mentioned and eating right. 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

follow Kate rowe ham on Instagram. She has a brilliant 30 day beginners strength training course.

Advertisement