Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Acolyte - Disney+ - (***Spoilers***)

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,342 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So when I misheard 'vergence' as 'virgin' turns out it was virgin birth after all.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,511 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I thought it was virgin they were saying - oops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

I think that scene with David Harewood really stood out to me and made me wonder why it wasn't earlier in the season as it would have given the whole plot a greater context and significance. It's a shame because I thought the finale was one of the better episodes a really uneven season that went from poor to ok a few times.

There's an interesting article here that makes the argument it would have been better as film, and highlights some of the criticisms raised above in the thread.

https://www.avclub.com/the-acolyte-season-1-finale-star-wars-franchise-tv-1851593018

I would disagree with the idea that it "needed" to be a film - I think that's what the idea originally started out as and the padding/editing issues came from that. Whereas the likes of Andor was probably a lot better thought out as a story and worked a lot better.

I think the idea of exploring the idea that the Jedi approach as flawed and overly ideologically driven is interesting and I think it could have been explored better, unfortunately a combination of poor writing and poor performances let this down.

One comment that caught my eye was the scale of the influence of the Original trilogy on the franchise as a whole, and whether this prohibits these type of stories that challenge the "good/bad" archetypes established originally. They contrasted this with the likes of Star Trek (not a series I'm hugely familiar with).

Lastly, bringing in Darth Plagues confuses me as a novice Star Wars fan. My understanding was that they made the "lore" of these characters non-cannon, so does this mean they are starting with basically a blank slate for this character?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lastly, bringing in Darth Plagues confuses me as a novice Star Wars fan. My understanding was that they made the "lore" of these characters non-cannon, so does this mean they are starting with basically a blank slate for this character?

Darth Plagueus was mentioned by Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith, so he is canon.

My understanding is that outside of the films, there was a huge expanded lore told through novels etc. They're now considered non-canon. But, that doesn't mean the writers of new SW stuff can't pull from it, change it a bit etc. Examples being Kiadi Mundi (the conehead-type Jedi Master from the prequels) showing up in a previous episode in this show. According to the Expanded Universe stuff he shouldn't have been alive when The Acolyte takes place because his age and lifespan were mentioned in the EU novels. Likewise I saw some complaints that Darth Plagueus would have only been 15-30 at the time of The Acolyte, but again, the stuff where his age was mentioned is now non-canon, and even then you would have to take a very particular reading of it to say he'd only be 15-30. I think in a novel he tells Palpatine he's "well over a hundred years old in human years" or something, which some people are taking as 101 years old because they need something to complain about.

So yeah, the EU stuff isn't canon, but a lot of it could form the foundation of new SW stuff we get, being changed as needed. Which has already happened because even the sequel trilogy (Episode 7-9) changed the EU stuff regarding everything that happened after Return of the Jedi.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,350 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Im not an expert on StarWars "physics" but I think the complaint was that the garments werent reacting to the wind, even if they can slow themselves down the clothes should be a bit more "blowy" looking.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

The Acoshite would be a more appropriate name for this pile of garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not gonna go into a big deep dive on this as I've made me thoughts clear earlier on how crap I thought the first few episodes were.

But it improved massively in the second half, became way more consistent, had some very well done lightsaber duels, the Sith guy is actually fairly decently designed and it took on a very nice and unexpected bit of grey-area morality.

Still wouldn't go so far as to recommend it but credit where credit is due, if you can get through the extremely weak first half, the second half gets much better and actually makes you start to care somewhat about a potential Season 2.

Advertisement