Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread 2024/25 - Teamtalk/Transfers/Gossip Mod Note in OP 26.09.24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Rabiot on a free is a no brainer. 2 year deal with an option to extend, he'll get a decent wage and signing on fee, incentivise the contract too. He's only 29 so we could conceivably get 4 or 5 good years out of him. Experienced, a bit of bite to him and in a position we are dreadfully short in. More plusses than potential negatives imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭scottser

I'd take Rabiot on a free but his wage would have to be realistic. He has no resale value at 28 years old so at most he should get a 3 year contract on 100 large per week plus incentives, minimal if any signing on fee. Wherever he goes will be his last chance at top flight football so we have leverage there. No harm to make him a take-it-or leave-it offer with a two-week deadline and simply walk away if his oul wan tries to haggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If you got a gy like Ugarte too (and maybe you couldn't) I think it would set our midfield up very well.
    Rabiot could play with or instead of Mainoo.
    Ugarte could play with Mainoo or Rabiot.
    Would be two excellent profiles to add to the midfield.

Arguably, if we could only get one then Rabiot is smarter pick, profile wise given he could (imo) play with or instead of Mainoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭scottser

English players are taxed far heavier than Italian players. 140k would go a lot further in Turin than Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Rabiot does appear to have matured since joining Juve so be no harm at least opening negotiations to see can a deal be done. Absolute no brainer to take him in that case.

• Advertisement

Previously, but not anymore. that Tax scheme was just ended.

But even then… doesn't really matter.

What clubs in Spain are going to be after him? Would At.Madrid pay him 200k? Maybe, but they only have Olbak (350…), and Griezman ~220k on more than that, next highest is about 150k. Maybe Barca would. Real Madrid won't be in for him. No other spanish team offering that money.

In France you would only have PSG coming close, and they won't.

In Italy, I don't think AC Milan are doing that, Inter might?

In Germany, Bayern maybe? After them, nope.

In England, I don't see City, Liverpool or Arsenal going for him. Villa nope (imo - Kamara and Onana). Newcastle would have to make him their highest paid player to top 150k. Spurs would have to put him in line with their top earners to top it. Chelsea you could see, maybe.

So even if you think he would be asking for 200k or 250k base wages… wtf is offering it? I reckon you maybe have competition with Chelsea and Bayern, maybe. No one else. So on a pure wages issue, i don't see how offering 150k wouldn't be competitive with any non-Saudi offer he got, and if he went to Saudi so be it.

Currently he would have to be.

Cause other wise it is Martinez and Maguire/Lindelof, which means a low line and an overrun midfield/defence.

Unless we sign another CB, tactically Yoro and Martinez have to be first choice.

MDL was the starter, Yoro the development project. Throwing Yoro in the deep end as a starter would be worse than putting all the eggs in Hojlunds basket last year. Defensive errors are far more costly than Hojlunds offensive struggles.

I don't disagree.
    but until we get a different CB, Yoro would be first choice imo for tactical reasons.

Unless EtH feels he can play a higher line with Maguire, if Martinez and a new CM are also in the team. Which is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't know. At times towards the middle/end of last season you'd swear the only reason for bad results was injuries and they were playing good football. He came in and talked the talk in the first season no doubt but as it unraveled last season he was looking for excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I would be fearful of an 18 yo CB playing in the PL under the pressure of playing with United, but I can't get my head around the club spending 60 million on a non-starter / development project. Also, players look for reassurances these days and I can't see how Yoro would have made the move if he thought his career might stagnant in any way over the next couple of years.

The whole CB focus this summer has me scratching my head. If we're still in for MDL or Branthwaite, then I wonder are we looking at a potential change in formation to playing with 3 CBs.

The sale (not offering a new deal) of AWB might also add to this theory because he ain't a RCB nor a wing back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Noteworthy that Juve had been trying to negotiate a new deal with Rabiot but couldn't reach an agreement. To me that would suggest he wants a long contract with a generous salary improvement on his 140k and I'm not sure we should bite on that.

I always find it insightful to see what fans of the club they are leaving are saying. Granted, they are probably coloured negatively given the player is leaving which some fans take personally, but there seems to be a consensus on Rabiot that he's a fair-weather player without much bite or passion. His five years at Juve seem to considered as the first 3 years being very poor, the 4th year being great, and the 5th year being okay/good. Few comments below.

"Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe ****!"

But at least he wasn't injury prone, though imo very expensive, wage wise, for what he provided, since he wasn't providing constant world class performances, considering his world class wages.

We had the good, the bad, and the ugly

But I will certainly miss him in the next season

excellent abilities and qualities and sometimes showed them.

Im pretty sure most of us not dropping any tears for him for one reason: he has no Grinta at all. Some would say typical moms little son attitude.

He was very good in 1 season, decent in 1 and half other seasons. The first 2.5 were bad.

I'd say his huge salary was only justified (maybe) in the last 2 seasons, but the first 2.5 were so bad that it was tough to rate him fairly.

He was at times our best midfielder, but if RABIOT is your best midfielder, you have a problem. He does have some good qualities, but our midfield needed more creativity, vision and good passing. He has none of that and his teammates weren't better (Loca is so disappointing smh).

I think Rabiot leaving gives us a good chance to build a more complete midfield.

Not hurt over this one, but really appreciate his time with us.

He was solid and his stats always looked better on paper than the field. He had some really rough spells until he had one year left on his contract (half kidding).

He was pretty reliable as a hard worker, making the easy shots/passes, maintaining control, but I never felt he could live up to an ambitious needs which is why I feel we can have a more proactive player in the role.

Same old story with Rabiot. Slightly above average player that always turns it on in his last contract year. Did that at PSG as well. Not worth the salary in my uneducated opinion.

He checked out once Allegri left. He was one of his loyalists. Makes sense

Its not a long term project by seasons end I would hope he would be progressed to first choice having been given patience and time to adjust. Just fùcking him in immediately would be insane. DeGea, Vidic and Evra all took time to settle and that worked out, Yoro needs even just a couple of months pressure free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Rabiot feels like a signing we'd make prior to INEOS, a Woodward stop gap IMO.

I'm not completely against stop gaps for the right players but there has always been a bit of controversy with Rabiot, professionalism, etc and that kind of person is not what this squad needs on or off the field.

If he did come in, I'd love to be proved wrong but seems like an unnecessary risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It's been 4 days since a confirmed signing. This is an outrage. INEOS OUT.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

And?

[I am not sure what immediate starter or not has to do with my post.]

Re a starter or not, he is going to play a fair share of games over he season as he will need to play to actually develop and most of United other CBs seem to spend an inordinate amount of time injured. A Europa league season is a good chance to get a player like him in and involved in the starting team regularly even when others are fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I was liking the sound of de Ligt, a leader and an Ajax trained defender to play out with Onana/Martinez.

I would keep Maguire as well, he is almost always available, that is a big thing given last season. And he would be excellent to bring on if you were defending the box late on.

You would probably get a few quid for Lindeloff, I get Smalling to Roma vibes, you could see him doing well somewhere else, he's a good player.

But defensive midfield is the critical position, both to unlock Bruno/Mainoo and to avoid the exposure of the defense we saw last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The tap-in merchant has given it the here we go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

Saga over?
    Compared to our usual way of getting transfers done this seemed straight forward.
    2 early transfers in the window is great to see

• Advertisement

When is the next one though?
    Where's my central midfielder!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Quags

Has to be a CM while selling bodies. Then RB if AWB goes then back to CB if Lindelof/ Maguire goes.

Any chance of squeezing a LB in there? It would be nice to not have to play a RB there for half a season next year.

Rashford banned from driving for 6 months after a speeding incident last December.

The article was on MEN so I'll wait until a decent outlet picks it up to post a link.

Apparently he said he was speeding because he thought he was being chased… there's a joke there somewhere.

I don't believe his excuse.
    but it also further plays into my theory that he was seriously effed up for a lot of last season, mentally, for whatever reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

We may end up stuck with Casemiro unfortunately. Saudi interested has supposedly “cooled”. Does anyone think he can get back to an acceptable standard? He was frustrating last season to put it lightly.

Also early days but a good start for Berrada it seems

If ETH sets the team up in an acceptable way then Casemiro can absolutely get back to an acceptable standard imo.

If we have teams running through us, like they did last year, then even prime Casemiro would look dire.

Nope, I think Casemiro is donezo, hence when Saudi interest has cooled (apparently).
    But if Saudi aren't going to save us, we will stuck with him - no one else would offer the type of money that would be needed to get it done (mostly wages, imo).
    And I reckon that has a huge impact on what we can do in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I think for Ugarte to arrive then Casemiro will have to leave. Not sure if this will happen though

• Advertisement

I think you could bring him (or someone) in if you sell McTominay, tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Saudi transfer window only opened yesterday so I wouldn't rule it out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Season will be over before it starts if Casemiro is in our starting 11....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Somebody is going to have to make the point.

By all reports Madrid would not go above £25m for Yoro, PSG would not go above £40m, he is 18 years old and had only one year left on contract.

So United swoop in, blow them out of the water with £52m and increase his wages from 6k p/w to 113k p/w (145k inc bonuses).

Now we hear it was Berradas pet project, he wanted a "coup" signing.

Yoro might go on to be a great player, I hope he does, but everything about this deal is classic Woodward and its strange to see people talking as if it isn't. The parallels with the Martial signing are all there and if Woodward did this people would be saying "here we go again".

Again, I'm not saying they should or shouldn't have done the deal. I just don't want to be told the same old food tastes better just because of a new label.

Real Madrid were convinced he'd only join them, so were happy they'd get him cheap this summer or free next.

Apparently he didn't want to go to a sg, no idea though.

United could only sign him this summer. So had to bid an amount that Madrid wouldn't match, and hope yoro wouldn't just sit in his contract and wait.

I do think united over paid, but a certain degree of over payment was required to actually do the deal. Imo.

Parallels to the martial deal? Cool? Martial didn't work out, doesn't mean doing what's needed to bring in a player that apparently all of football see as a potentially generational talent is wrong. The Woodward deals we give out about are the big money ones on older players. Not the younger signings, imo.

Yoro is far closer to Anderson or Ronaldo in signing type than Falcao, Schweinsteiger.

It may not work out, and imo if we don't improve the midfiejd and sign another cb to relieve pressure, it won't. That's my worry, that it will be something similar to pogba where ARGUABLY the player themselves is an exciting signing but we never put the building black cks around them in the team for it to actually work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Greenwood confirmed, happy to see the way the club conducted themselves here. There was never any way back once the audio was released. People can talk about charges all they want but people with ears heard. My 4yo Greenwood jersey was binned the first day.

Looks like there's a clearout underway. AWB and Scotty Mac looking like the next moves

Yoro announcement should follow to take the attention away from this. Glad that it’s over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Still feels weird seeing dam ashworth commenting on stuff rather than a banker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Seriously? Except our whole footballing staff have been replaced. It's night and day between what was before.

Still on the hunt for another CB as had been reported all along. Lindelof listed on eBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

By "Backup left sided defender" do they mean left back or just left sided CB?

I really hope they don't mean a backup LB, it should be a first choice LB brought in, Shaw has definitely proven that he isn't reliable enough.

As much as De Ligt in and Lindelöf out would be fantastic maybe a shift from CB now?

de Ligt wants to join and there appears no other suitors so no need to rush that, lets look at midfielders now. I dont expect another winger since Sancho's back so a CM next, then complete De Ligt (and sell Lindelöf) , then look at Full Backs.

If we sell anyone else they'd need immediate replacing.

Agree in terms of reliability however should he defy the odds and be fit, he should be first choice. It could be a big help to Rashford as well with their link up play and allow Rashford space to attack more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

In terms of priorities now, I think we need a number 6. Ugarte interest seems to be picking up again but I'm not sure he's of the profile we need. It's just so hard to find a ball playing 6. They are a very rare breed at the minute.

After that I think we need to look at fullbacks but I doubt we will have the finances to do anything significant there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Huge money for a defender, he'll need to hit the ground running let's hope the scouts are as good as they're made out to be.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I think that is the next move for sure. I wouldn’t be against the idea of Ugarte and leave the ball playing to Mainoo with help from Martinez with Ugarte holding position.

Hard to know if Malacia is going to be ready to play at all in the next few months so would hope that a left back comes in if he could be loaned out to catch up on playing time great.

I’ve wanted AWB to be sold for a good while but not sure now is the right time because you’ll need to replace him surely?

Unless we go for Kadioglu to back up both Shaw and Dalot we can't move AWB.

And if Shaw goes down and Kadioglu becomes starting LB we'd be back to no back up RB.

Same with selling McTominay ASAP. We are already short a midfielder. Even after signing the (at the very least) one thats needed, selling McTominay would neccesitate a second arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Lauras Law

3 United players in the Top 7. It'd give you real hope for the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement