Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Quags

But those on this forum are insisting that coolock, east wall and pearse st take them in with no pushback. Funny how burning buildings affect them but don’t worry that much when the unknowns are causing trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

all this upheaval does not suit the good folk of D4 that kindly suggested moving the IPA centre from Mount st to somewhere more suitable ,where eh theres "wrap around services" available,nice try ,but soiree ,no chance now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Unfortunately you are right, it's a sad state of affairs. There is no accountability in our Politics.

On another point you look at SF, these disadvantages areas such as Coolock would be their bread and butter for this party at one stage but SF don't care about these people and have gone else where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

It's so sad. My community would be considered upper middle so we escape this disaster but anyone with a heart should feel sorry for the working class areas that have been abandoned and betrayed continuously. They have my full solidarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

You guys have entirely misjudged the national mood on this.

Truth of the matter is FFG (and I'm not a supporter) have an open goal here.

Any half way competent crack down on this lawless minority and they stay in power for at least another ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Quags

People affected by this dumping and it is dumping of IPA into these areas do not care what the national mood is and the reason being is the well to do class in this country won’t ever have to worry about this happening to them and as with this country it’s the old “well it’s not affecting me so I do t care” attitude and I’m not digging at you here Megaman but those people who are not affected have an awful lot to say when it becomes out of hand.

Sure SF could have stood up and being an opposition but the next government whoever it will have probably 2/3 of hold so I know things won’t change.

Dream on in your woke bubble,theres nut jobs hanging around the anti immigration movement and it allows the Government some breathing space,but make no mistake ,theres majority local resistence to all these sites and the Government know it,Expect a pivot shortly to we are now listening and reacting accordingly with the wishes of the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 veejay09

The current government are behaving without mandate on this issue and have been for a long time.

Opinion polls have changed drastically, there has been escalation from peaceful protesting to arson all over the country.

The government simply refuse to change.

If there were to be a crackdown with mass arrests and curtailing protest and so on in order to ram their ideas in place, let me tell you in no uncertain manner, it would cause uproarious acceleration of the pushback.

The optics alone would be unthinkable. They know it. And that's why when you have a truly dreadful, deeply unpopular idea, you'll find yourself in catch 22's all the way until you give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭combat14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭giseva

Peaceful protests turned ugly by some is bad....but peaceful protests turned ugly by the Public Order Unit is good?

The footage is there for all to see. Some Gardai again using heavy handed tactics against peaceful protesters so is it any wonder crowds retaliate.

I don't condone scum, and an element of scum always end up at these protests. But pepper spraying protesters who've done feck all except be part of the protest isn't a good look.

The tracksuit brigade is one thing, but unfortunately there are a few thugs wearing AGS uniforms.

A deeply flawed system, make a mess of one ministerial position and sure no worries, try your hand at another one.... and when things get really bad....just step down and enjoy your pension and whatever else you lined up while in office. You'll soon be forgotten as the media will be covering the next numpties fighting over the job. They'll no doubt make a mess of things and forget about the people that put them there and the promises they made.....and the cycle continues!

100%, I think the current escalating crisis is a function of the following Government treatment,

1 Apathy,

2Woke/NGO/ leftish media pressure,

3 Denial of reality and refusal to change direction when facts change.

4.Crisis management, cliff side poor decision making.

5.Double down and choose wrong fork in road.

Post edited by dublin49 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Face covering law?

It just highlights wtf is going on in government. Who has this crowd over a barrel some way. 30 years ago most would have resigned by just the embarrassement of this continuing serious issue by state. Its actually very worrying.

• Advertisement

The political establishment are barely distinguishable from each other, might as well be a dictatorship.

Sinn fein, fianna fail, fine gael, labour, the lot, all pro more migrants. Now that's what you call choice on arguably the biggest issue in the nation.

How was this allowed mutate to this point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I am no fan of the corrupt Gardai since the treatment of McCabe.

I doubt the innocents that were pepper sprayed ended up throwing bricks and stuff. That element needs to be excluded from the peaceful protests. Otherwise they are playing into the governments hands.

Arson, violence, thuggery will never work.

Election in November. New govt soon after.

Start emailing your local reps with your thoughts. They want your vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The main players all have similar beliefs though. They all wanted to be seen to be woke, they all want to keep the NGO gravy train onside Incase they lose their seats and need a cushy number thereafter.

Siding with the masses won't get them that.

Sinn Fein have probably killed their one big chance in the immediate future of being a dominant party in government

• Advertisement

And what happens if we get the same dudes or worse different dudes singing off the same hymn sheet.

SF in their website had their policy roughly as follows.

1. No direct provision.

2. About 10k refugees per year (reasonable pre refugee/housing crisis)

So why don't they stick to that instead of pretending like huge annual numbers on top of the massive wave from Ukraine is ok.

Literally just stick to their policy and shout out loud under no circumstances would we accept more. And maybe even none for a few years.

A reasonable policy which would have gained huge support. Instead they cted like cheer leaders for the government refugee policy.

No means no.

This isn't a case of "education" or disinformation or misinformation.

People are painfully aware of the growing crises in this country and communities in particular just do not want to share out those dwindling resources even more.

That's all that needs to be known. Nobody wants it, as demonstrated by the silence of anyone stepping forward to take more people.

The government and Co need to accept no for an answer politely while it's still polite.

On the otherhand maybe they can continually harass and provoke people and we'll see how that goes instead.

Sinn fein want a united ireland. Another conspiracy theory here. But let in as much through the north so as to consider border control only through a united ireland. Oh im nuts aint I. Or are politicans crazy fookers. Or are they corruptable. Hard to know.

Then it will be a situation solved from the community level up.

A governance that repeatedly, in the face of growing violence, for years, ignores its own people can just watch on the sidelines.

Has ireland a history of public violence against irish state. Ok the civil war but? Its not on same scale yes but. This is different. Its like the government are hand tied either way and are held at gunpoint. Scary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Sinn Féin want to welcome everyone into Ireland except the Brits. And bring their Prayer mat!

It is the Irish state turning up in people's communities dictating what they must do against their own wishes.

Theres only one side of this going looking for a fight, and that's a very important distinction.

Provocation, to be exact.

It's quite apparent by now that this whole situation country wide is simply unwanted. So why does the provocation continue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

I've seen videos this evening, guards ripping the Irish flag off protesters & throwing away on the ground beside them.

I believe governments of the past would of had a referendum on the current crisis and People would vote no. We had a referendum 20 odd years ago in relation to immigrants. Sometime to do with citizenship I can't remember. All I know is we overwhelmly voted no.

They know this and that'll never let us decide.

I can't for the life of me get my head around this. Why won't the citizens be consulted. Why can't we chose if we want this increase or go the Danish route.

• Advertisement

This is also worrying. Wtf are they at.

If its corporate tax or investment be damned. Fook it.

Because the TDs are keeping the NGO gravy train onside so when they lose their seats they have a cushy plan B. The masses are just collateral damage.

Ivana Bacik and Hazel Chu made sure this problem didn't blight their communities in an instant.

I'd say Mary Lou is kicking herself. Screwed up 2020 election and now screwed up SFs best chance to be the main govt party.

That Polish woman who tore Von Der Leyen apart the other day is my new hero

I read a theory that it's to do with our massive national debt. The higher the population the less debt per person we have and the easier it would be to pay off. Since there's declining birth rates they need a huge influx of new people and fast. Why do you think they made sure Ukrainians wanted to leave other EU countries for here.

Another related theory is that the EU want us to help out as we owe them for the bail out. Even though we bailed out way more then we should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Just to remind everyone that this poster believes the following:

That anyone in the world should be allowed to show up to any airport or ferry port in the world, say they are travelling to Ireland to claim asylum, and then be permitted to board the plane/ferry to Ireland without a passport.

Such idiotic beliefs should be acknowledged for what they are.

Ref post #25881.

I think i posted my own theory on that too😁

Great so debt per capita. Balance books. Even if said crowd dont work at all.

Genius. They really are total Geniuses. 🤣

Long live capitalism. So certain cohorts of society can capitalise. Ingenious I tells ya.

Looking at the proposed sites for asylum seekers, none seem to be in areas where govt ministers are from as far as I can see.

Strange that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Thats grand while they have the upper hand of numbers. Fifty or so like-minded local heavies armed with golf clubs invite them to have a go, and then what?

I'm surprised at this viewpoint. Perhaps an overhang from the water protests which many people condemned the thuggery. However, this time round you can bet your bottom dollar/euro/pound that the very-squeezed middle-classes are chuffed with the 'working class' who are doing the 'dirty' work of publicly taking a stand on the immigration issue. Ask most €30k to €70k earners [off the record] and you might be very surprised with the response.

Great bunch. Looking out for the common plebs. Oh wait. Why do people vote for these ****? The same **** come on rte and state its good for the local community. Yours?!!

• Advertisement

Timing is everything. Dept of integration held a "meeting" in April 6 weeks before the local and European elections. It went quiet.

Elections came and went. FF and FG did well. All of a sudden the crown paints site gets rushed through. Will govt keep trying this in run up to the GE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

The way that policies are enforced by the governments are very heavy-handed, ROG said "the site in Coolock where protests have been held in recent days will be used to house International Protection applicants" he's determined to go ahead, he can't really back down now, it will set a precedent if he does. Unless the place is completely uninhabitable.

That Polish woman who tore Von Der Leyen apart the other day is my new hero

Watched that because it was shared to me via WhatsApp. Of course it got shared forward straight after watching to dozens of contacts. Ewa Zajaczkowska-Hernik has some appeal, she'll do well. One to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

If you take culture or identity out of the equation there is still a massive issue with sustainability.

You can't just inflate the population of an area and then hope that it'll all be fine.

If we were all just seen as units then it still wouldn't make any sense to just drop 500 units in a place where there is no room for them. If my coffee mug holds 500ml then I don't try to pour 750ml or 600ml or even 510ml into it.

I can totally get that out there is some racist person who simply hates people of other races or any kind of outsider and we do not want to be seen as supporting that kind of person.

Common sense has to take over eventually though. It's simply not sustainable to bring in thousands of unemployed blokes, give them a tent, and then let them fend for themselves.

How could anyone not think that this is going to cause massive problems in the future?

What worries me is that people are SO committed and invested in this course of action now that it's going to be very, very, hard for them to admit that they were wrong on this. So we're going to have people who are invested in covering up and hiding cases where things go badly wrong because they don't want to admit it.

If we keep going like this it's going to be an absolute disaster.

Forgot to add, at that time [of the water protests] the state was increasing taxes left right and centre (USC, VAT went up, Carbon Taxes ramped up, etc…) while the bulk of unemployment-related social welfare payments were left untouched. This felt rather unfair to those in employment who saw their wages decrease in real terms. Hence the middle-class condemnation of 'thuggery'.

This time round, it is largely the same demographic protesting in places such as Coolock over migration. However, unlike the water tax, the migration issue doesn't just stop at one bill/invoice. It eats into the cost of local services, it inflates rental prices, property prices, increases demand on healthcare and education. It hurts the middle-classes even more than the working classes.

This is by far too under-stated. In the quiet one-on-one conversations the middle-class are rooting for the working classes here in forcing the hand of the state to back down on their migration policy.

Deleted

• Advertisement

This is going on for five days and five nights now - I think the only outcome is summed up in your last sentence.

The entire bunch are like contestants on The Apprentice, really bad ones at that. Poor decision after poor decision and complete contempt for the public they're supposed to serve.

On top of that, they have paid advisors....who are either useless at their jobs, or who the ministers just ignore.

They really are an out of control bunch. Not one government minister would I put in charge of opening and closing a gate never mind running a country.

Add to the mix, an utterly incompetent and delusional justice minister, and a head of AGS, an organization that voted overwhelmingly no confidence in him, and it's a perfect storm. How those two are still in a job is a great mystery.

"Policing by consent" was once the tagline. A better one, even if it is a bit of a mouthful, could be....."Policing by consent, unless you're protesting against anything relating to poor government decisions and their distain for communities, where, in that case, say hello to Sgt. Pepper Spray and Inspector Baton."

I wonder if they'll release a new video similar to the dancing during COVID.

This time they could use the riot squad for some perfectly choreographed beatings!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Repro212

Had SF seized the day and came out pushing for a referendum on this madness and implementation of the Danish model, they'd have gone up in everyone's estimation but cosying up to Islam seems more their thing.

Deleted

The pushback against anything that lad decides or implements or introduces the better. Mad as a bag of badger's. At least Ryan had only sowing lettece plants and took the odd work nap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement