Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options
1575859606163»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ESetter

ground is like concrete here in mid west, we are missing all the rain, mists here and there, cold enough though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Tis appalling! What a summer. Off to Tenerife for 10 days next weekend, thank bloody jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭squarecircles

August - Wet and windy with well developed frontal systems

MT Cranium.

Our new seasons of permautum.

Springtum february untill april

Aummer may to august

sumtum september to october

and Wintum November to january.

its like everyday that passes the outlook gets worse and worse

Post edited by squarecircles at

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Mapaputsi

Had a lot of rain yesterday evening and overnight in Oranmore, Galway. Now a misty, muggy start to the day.

Weather has been ok the last couple of weeks, winds have died down a little and it's been warm if not a bit too humid for me. But I long for some blue skies. We had our first BBQ of the year on Saturday under warm grey skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Two years today we had 850hPa temperatures that many of us can't even reach as surface daytime temps this month. At least 25 stations across the island including Northern Ireland achieved 30C or greater including 33.0C at Phoenix Park and 32.4C at Athy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭alentejo

so dark in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭mcgragger

I cant take much more of this.

Mood is so low with permanent grey sky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Darker still at almost midday

Just back from picking up a few bits in Aldi and was like a scene from Jackos, Thriller, video with the Glum old faces bashing their trolleys in to all and sundry

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭gilly1910

Dear god, in the middle of the worst Summer in years, and you're missing rain 😮 I just read M.T Cranium's forecast for August " Early August at this long range appears to go back to wet and windy conditions with well-developed frontal systems approaching from the southwest", so at this stage I will beg, steal or borrow to get away from this incredibly depressing so called Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I feared that people would lose their minds here when the dry clouds starting producing rain 🙂 I did warn ye to make the most of the dry first half of July. Fair bit of rain overnight, hoping for a dry evening. This is actually a superb time for fishing too - rain after a long dry spell brings oxygen back into the water and the fish become active again. River levels and lake levels are extremely low at the moment.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

All id like to do is maybe sit out of an evening in the garden without it being dark cold and windy. Or on the commute to work not be wearing the same clothes that I wear all winter or to go to a sports fixture and not along with everyone else there be shivering in the wind and struggling to follow the flight of the ball in the grey slate cloud and gloom . The first half of July offered no opportunity to that any of that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A wet dank day here in Meath, my holidays in Spain end of August just can't come soon enough as we are about to enter a much wetter portion of summer than what we've had so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ESetter

we are not getting all the rain..definitely not the worst summer ever here

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭gilly1910

Nobody said we were getting loads of rain, it actually has been dry enough compared to last July where it rained nearly every day. However for the majority of May & June bar the odd day here and there it was quite cold. July has been a lot warmer, but just generally grey and overcast most of the time. So if you define your Summer by warm sunny days, then yeah it's been pretty grim unfortunately.

Post edited by gilly1910 at

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Rain rain go away- dunboyne direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Persistent light rain in Celbridge - more than I had expected. Dull, warm, horribly humid. Very unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Yep the Boyne is well low to the eye here in Meath.

Humid. Drizzle. 17⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

There's been very little rain in Trim all morning. Ground is dry. It's very breezy and cloudy but thankfully the humidity is quite high so it feels more pleasant than the suppressed temperatures would feel otherwise.

If I get out for a walk in the next few hours (unlikely), I may be able to walk with the jacket unzipped and might get extra lucky and be comfortable enough to take it off and carry it over my arm…….Good jesus, what have we become when the thoughts of being able to remove a winter whilst out for a walk in mid-July is seen as some sort of great positive!?!?!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

today, I’ve seen images like this in mid July so many times it’s to be expected, always us and Scotland and Iceland …. without fail.
    having said that it doesn’t look too bad in Atlantic coastal areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭glightning

Just back from two weeks in central Florida and boy am I depressed with the current weather and outlook!

Already missing the 35c to 38c temperatures and 24c to 26c dew points they had over there making it feel 40c+ on most days (they are having a hot summer for sure). Still in the low thirties in the evenings. 28c at dawn. Some cracking late afternoon / early evening seabreeze thunderstorms too. Sea temperature when we went to Clearwater was 32c - felt like a bath. Such a novelty to enjoy!

Everything looked so bright and alive. Luscious plants and huge butterflies and insects flying around. Lizards running around and alligators in the small lakes around the resort we were staying at. Fab.

It's not that we need the above to enjoy these months, just something along the lines of consistent, reliable sunshine hours (4 to 8 per day) and temperatures around 21 to 23c on most days would be more than enough to keep people happy.

Everyone would just be happier overall if we could get out and enjoy outdoor things with that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

18 to 22C is normal Irish summer time temperatures we get most days from June to early September but this year you can count the number of days in that range on one hand. The only positive about this summer is the overall lack of heavy rainfall which was a daily feature throughout last summer from 3th week of June all the way to final day of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭glightning

Yep, agree. But here in the north it is 18c as the average. So I meant to suggest that ideally we would all get low twenties on most days of the summer. I think most people (hot or cold lovers) would settle for low twenties as an average. It’s the ideal temperature range if you also get more consistently sunnier weather to go along with it. Scandinavia has the summer climate similar to what I mention. Would take that climate over ours any day of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Dazler97

This time 2 years ago highs we had our chance of beating our record but that stubborn cloud ruined it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Jammy or whatever word you want to use but its cleared up into a beautiful evening here just outside Castlebar. Clear blue skies and 21 degrees in light winds.

Advertisement