Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

but the owner of the asset has paid tax on it already, and should be free to give it to who ever they want. there are many many people in the country, and arriving into the country, who have made zero contributions to what they receive each week. BTW this will not affect me, I just think it is a rotten system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭squonk

Yes, I don’t get why an asset already having tax legitimately paid on it by its owner should attract further tax when it’s transferred on to another party via inheritance. The concept of “contribution” is stupid and j don’t get the views of some here. There are many forms of contribution, not all off them monetary. A person leaving property to an individual isn’t doing it to some randomer. It’s a family member or friend who is important to the owner in some way and has contributed to the owners life.

Having inherited a property, I might want to renovate. I pay tax. I might want to sell, I pay tax on the profits then or I want to rent, I also pay tax on that. I’m even penalised now if I leave the property vacant. So basically I attract tax anyway but just for fun and giggles, let’s throw on a 33% charge on the notional value of the property just because we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Tow

It is to pay for de Unwaged and de Unwell. I don't say that lightly. I remember getting a cheque in de EBS made out to de Collector General. De wurse type of cheque, your wan in de building society says to me. It was for 40k, the guts of a couple years wages before de tax it was... The f*****s changed the rules a few weeks later, it would have been 7k less.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,040 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Most wealth is tied up in property which increases in value. I'd be in favour of a wealth tax rather than more tax on labour, and inheritance tax is a fair way to keep societal harmony.

yes but property isn’t liquid. I can inherit a house worth 1 million IF I sell it right now. I might move in though and decide to sell in 2 years time by which point it’s worth 500,000 due to a crash. Thing is, a house might be worth a million if valued today but the tax forces me to sell if I don’t have 330,000 in my back pocket. Ingeritance tax assumes I want to be 600,000 “wealthy” whereas I might just want a nice house in a nice area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

I'm watching the tonight virgin media show, the housing minister is on, Oliver made some comments about him being upset about not getting a promotion

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

hence my mother sought tons of advice, re minimum money to state abt 2004, etc, and acted on it. Mindfull that having nothing in bank account, she spent it out strategically, and she’d housed every minute of it all 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

very well put. not many cannot afford to inherit the house they are left. having to sell a family home just to pay this tax on it. Seeing the carryon in Coolock, this is where the money is going, funding both sides. Most people are well taxed all their working lives, and then they decide to take another cut. The bigger the amount the more successful you were.

I don't know the ins and outs of it, but I would guess that it effects middle class/normal people a lot more than the wealthy, as I assume they have ways and means of transferring wealth that a normal person may not. They are not giving up 33% …

Yes, With a substantial property I’m sure there are options there. I know farms are protected. I happen to agree with that. From what I can see the “Inheritance Tax” scheme is nothing more than a way to force the average person to liquify assets so the government can get their cut. Once liquified the money left post tax attracts additional tax either through sitting in an account or purchase of a new property or investment. I see this as being “wrong”.

It could be that inheriting a decent property in an established area from a parent without tax implications allows a family to upscale their property in line with their grosing family and allows them to pay back a loan for renovations rather than a mortgage for a new purchase. This seems like a better outcome to me. If they have an existing property it may either end up on the market or in rental. That outcome will attract its own tax. Arguments along the lines of “property tax prevents property being accumulated by a small number at the top of the tree” are BS in modern society. I don’t doubt it made sense in the 19th and even into the 20th century but in modern society I don’t see people likely to hoard property within families. In fact, given the heated market, we should allow families upscale if a parents property is a better fit. It will then free up their old property for occupancy, either through rental or sale. Right now, if they inherit the parental home, they either spend a substantial lump to pay inheritance tax, or sell, paying the tax and leaving them running around looking for a new similar property in a good area. They then incur extra costs through conveyance fees etc. Having paid the inheritance tax, they also pay stamp duty on a new purchase. How this is not seen as a government scam is beyond me.

• Advertisement

Joe,

De elixir of youth has been found. It may not be eternal but is good enough, so to speak. You can do de show for another 10 years and postpone de twin's Inheritance Tax worries.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

JOE

Bust Budget, family home inheritance from yesterday. Inheritance Brats

Tánauste sez no change

Amazon, porch pirates following vans and thieving.

Something about little business have to close.

• 209, economy collapsed, childer are brats
    • amazon prime day, china clears its warehouses of shite
    • fleadh in wexford, no shortage of peeple with no taste in music

Porch theft is happening on my estate. We were asked not to make online orders for delivery if we are not guaranteed to be here by management company ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Today in Studio S7.1:

• Command Chair: Joe. He will be "with us all Summer" back from de well earned holidays.
    • Guest Chairs: Empty.

Possible Topics:

• Joe is a great lad altogether.
    • Stuff de Researchers found on social media.
    • DEATH Tax: Inheritance tax is too high at 33%, when compaired to odder countries. Joe is Tax Planning for de 3 Twins. Should be done away with. More from Yesterday.
    • Amazon Prime: Porch Pirates and same day delivers, put de small lad out of business.
    • Wexford 'Fla': Ordinary business have to close down for it. Only Hotels benefit

Banned Topics:

• Wolfe Tone vs Montrose
    • State of Hospitals
    • De Unwell
    • De Undocumented
    • RVM Machine Tax
    • Inflation
    • Lack of Doctors
    • Lack of Dentists
    • Lack of Gaffs
    • Lack of punishment for Crime

I wonder which triplet is getting the clontarf estate? Sounds like he’s figuring all that out at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭littlevillage

• Advertisement

De triplets so to speak! I see the lads inherited the oul lads scowl!

You know there is only one favourite, de daughter. She is a teacher, so will never be able to afford a house on her own. The lads both wurk for big businesses, so are grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Surprised that Duffy is still continuing with his scutter about 'inheritance brats'. Pulling the phrase from some speech 15 years and more ago and repeating it ad nauseum yesterday.

If he wants change in this, no point blaming the ICTU or Labour Party etc. The boyos that have been in government for the last umpteen years are Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael and latterly the Greens and are those fully responsible for the current rates of inheritance tax. Will Joe tell his fans not to vote for Fianna Fáil or Fine Gael??? That is the question he needs to address.

well to be fair it’s good they didn’t go down the nepo route and get well wedged behind the scenes in RTE. You have to hand it to them the making they own way

It doesn’t sound like this is changing under the current stewardship anyway. Much as I disagree with inheritance tax, government policy shouldn’t be influenced by a man on the radio.

I’d be all for a round robin discussion on this with the various stakeholders and maybe hearing the ins and outs could change my view on this. It’s not really worth listening to any more of Mary from Laois wanting to give her stuff to whoever or Red Ed late of tge UK now resuding in Cork dreaming of a Marxist paradise.

So Biden is dead man walking.. whoy are we not discussing this?

Wicked lil letters

"a menial job"?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,516 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

"I've told this story several times…"

<yawn>

Go on, luv.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Joe we got talking about poison pen letters because you kept bringing it up.

Advertisement