Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

I noticed very similar clothing material worn by one of the 'lads' tearing down the Irish Waterway's fencing as Mary-Lou McDonald had worn recently.

Kudos to SF, they're well in with the re-use/recycling thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

One thing posters on here need to bear in mind is not every situation evolves from malevolent intent.We all knew we had a direct provision centre somewhere up by the airport but it didnt really impact our lives so we left it to Government to sort as best they deemed necessary.

The Government unfortunately had as much interest in resolving this issue as the the rest of us so it was long fingered.

So post Covid when immigration really kicked off the powers that be were in a low energy mode when it came to immigration so anomalies escalated ,no deportations,folks from 2nd countries.safe countries etc.sure it will be alright on the night attitude.

Allied to this low energy/nothing works mentality was a an upsurge in the Woke agenda.

"Ireland welcomes all "and "the people of East Wall/Sandwich St etc don't represent us" cry went out ,and was generally unchallenged.

In work ,in sport ,in life ,when things go wrong ,I find most folk like to look for a culprit rather than a reason.

My view is ,the people of Newtown Mount Kennedy,Coolock,East Wall et al are good people with a few nut cases attached.

I genuinely believe that the Government are not involved in any Great replacement conspiracy and their bona fides were well meaning all along albeit they failed to spot when their good intentions were being taking advantage of.

but,

they now know we are being taking advantage of ,we cannot sustain the level of support being offered and we need to say sorry but our focus is now on the people of our country and we have done more than enough for Ukraine and elsewhere but for the social cohesion of this country we are closed for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭giseva

It's a big money maker so I've no doubt it will continue, regardless of the impact large numbers of male migrants (we all want to know where the women and children are) will, and already are having on towns and villages across the country.

There are good and bad in all walks of life but only a fool would believe that 100% of these men are saints, fleeing persecution and pose no threat now or in the future.

We have laws in this country that some people born and bred here don't adhere to. But let's take in tens of thousands of "asylum seekers" who couldn't give a flying f@#k about our laws, our culture, our attitudes towards women and girls and a host of other issues. That'll work.

I've seen the videos, I've heard the stories.

Even if a migrant is on his best behavior in their planted location, and never steps out of line, it's a natural instinct for a parent to be fearful for their child's safety when large groups of men they know nothing about and share nothing in common with, are forced on them, they're just told to deal with it. That alone is an awful thing to inflict on communities. And, unfortunately, but not surprisingly, bad things have already happened.

And God forbid, when we do start seeing crime rates rise as has happened in many EU countries and the increase in sexual assaults or worse, best believe, it won't be a migrant issue, it will be a man issue. Do better, men!

And God forbid, when we do start seeing crime rates rise as has happened in many EU countries and the increase in sexual assaults or worse, best believe, it won't be a migrant issue, it will be a man issue. Do better, men!

Spot on, I watched the recent ITV documentary from Cardiff/Nottingham regarding this. See: https://www.itv.com/news/2024-07-17/approached-by-20-men-in-two-hours-the-reality-of-being-a-woman-alone-at-night

One thing that struck me was when the documentary finally turned to presenting it's findings to the newly elected Labour Party representative her knee-jerk response to it was that "we need to educate men".

This despite the fact that 19 out of the 20 men were not of a White-British background. Even the lone-White British bloke was 'concerned' for her safety while being excessively drunk-pushy.

Sums alot up really. Video relating to the article here: https://x.com/itvnews/status/1813887551523951008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We don't know what the local community's wishes are. Fringe protest groups such as 'Coolock Says No' waving Irish tricolours - presumably what could best be described as "right wing Irish nationalists" - speak only for themselves. This idea that they are the entire community is a bit of a nonsense,

Biggest crowd all week turned up tonight. Five days in.

Bigly as DJT would say.

But keep on doubling down on reality.

Rubber always hits the road, eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

If the government don't smell the coffee and keep going with this crazy campaign, its going to keep getting worse for them. They still have the option to back down from this with a bit of dignity.

Ireland is full and when Coolock says no, Its a pretty clear message to me. Couldn't be any clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

ff and fg will walk back into government at next election.all the bitchin in the world on here ain’t going to change this madness of a policy.sad times ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Well if the protests are only from a small minority, surely the govt can place these men in other areas if its all fine and just ignore the small minority. That small minority in coolock will get bigger until government backs down.

How about they convert say, Herbert park Into a refugee camp akin to Gormanstown in 2022. Am sure the locals will be totally fine with it and won't object at all.

Govt have created a mess for themselves and they will go into self protection more now ahead of a pending GE.

D4 = concern citizens

Working class area = far right

Thought the govt said nobody has a right to veto who lives in their neighbourhood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if tents started appearing in Herbert Park the Merrion residents association would turn into the local Volkssturm over night , there are 2 sets of rules unfortunately. The Gov know better than to provoke the good post codes

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That appears to fears about fire not migrants. Fears of fire are valid with the neanderthals roaming about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Quags

Ah now ffs, you aren’t believing that are ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I don't know. I thought there were some emotive posters here with all the solutions and strong rhetoric. I am all ears.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

People aren’t going to vote for the right wing loons.

If immigration is an issue, last elections would have shown so. They didn’t.

lol, the next door Jeremy the barrister is not likely to hop the wall now is he? the pen is mightier than the sword and all that , pip pip

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

And then if you don't want hundreds of single men from the Middle East and Africa dropped on your doorstep they'll say, "you don't get to veto who's in your community". This sums up their utter disregard for Irish people.

What they're doing here is framing the situation as if we're talking about one or two individuals whom you don't like buying a house beside you - maybe there's not much you can do about that.

But this is clearly not the same as government strategy of bringing in thousands of single males from around the world en masse and housing them in social homes, factories, student accommodation, and whatever other buildings they can find via an International Protection system that is not fit for purpose.

The government is purposely conflating these scenarios. It's dishonest and harmful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah are you one of the adorbs who thinks its actually locals "protesting". How cute.

who knows, who cares, point is "the pen" will be taken more seriously in D4, you just have to see the difference between tents popping up around the city and somewhere like Sandymount. The boys in blue will have them gone in an hour if its Sandymount, we get a better service ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Just for **** and giggles I'd love to see the reaction of a handful of regulars on this thread to half a dozen or so singles males from Afghanistan and Syria moving into a vacant house next door to them 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

In essence and with some practical considerations and conditions attached that's the route we need to take Europe wide.

It's not changing who can and can't enter the state, only removing traffickers etc from the equation.

Funnily enough you guys scoff at the idea we're outsourcing our (failing and expensive) deterrent policies to the traffickers, deaths at sea and north African militias. Yet you're clearly very, very attached to the principle that people face these horrors, including the widespread rape and exploitation of women and children, on their way here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Correct. The loud mouth loons only scare people back to the status quo.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Coolock hasn't said anything.

Going by attendance figures and makeup, the vast majority don't want anything to do with these protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Miharo

I think youre underestimating the support in Coolock. There's a whole cohort of people who don't want this centre used for IPAs but wouldn't attend a protest because of all the trouble that kicks off and also because of the labelling of people who attend.

Watching some of the videos from the protests from the last few days many of the people driving by were beeping in support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

The support is there but the pou presence and risk of trouble keep many away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Whether that's true or not about 75% of the country as proven by polls don't want more of this so they want nothing to do with the 500 men supposed to go in either. Not sure what the end game here is. The vast majority of Irish don't want to go out protesting where they're right or left leaning. The fact thousands marched last night say's it all really.

That community could clearly do with another four or five similarly sized IPAS centres. Path of least resistance and all that lark. The IPAs themselves are so lucky to have that community where there is no protests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

there were protests, they didn't achieve anything, so the IPAS went in and life goes on as normal. as usual it's local scumbags causing the issues around here as my boards neighbours in the area will attest to, i would imagine it would be the same in coolock. for some reason the concerned residents only care about crime enough to go out and protest if there are foreigners involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

75% don't want what exactly? You just making up figures ya?

Look up the polls done regarding this topic. About 75-80% of the population are against this.

• Advertisement

Against what exactly? Link me to these polls please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

So you agree that airlines and ferry companies worldwide should just allow “asylum seekers “ to board and just be brought to Ireland? Thanks for being honest, everyone who reads your constant posting now knows where you’re coming from

I'm on holidays about to jump into the sea. Just do a quick Google on refugee/ immigration polls in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

There's been loads of polls over the last 2 years and they all say the same - You're acting the maggot there with the 'What polls, show me the links' stuff - unless you live in a forest that is

Just 2 that I happened to have to hand. The IDM and the IT

Thank you just out of the sea and I'm exhausted in 35 degrees shade now! Don't have the energy to be digging up extremely well known points at this stage. Like you said a lot of messers here. But appreciate you responding on my behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's not just that, it's time the Government got real here, areas like this are struggling for resources, try getting onto a Doctors list, a dentist, mental health care services and you'll probably be left waiting for a year or two… These estates across Dublin are barely Policed, try calling for a Gard if you need help and you'll be lucky to see one… There's no mosque's in the area, it's a quite monocultural area too..

Didn't see any announcements in the media about extra resources being put into the area to support 100's of people with I presume a lot of supports immediately required?

Why were there none of these concerns when all the 100s of new apartments were going up in the area? I didn't see anyone protesting then

To be honest we're probably 20 year's away from scenes like that. But that doesn't make it any less alarming. You have to nip these things in the bud.

Doesn't answer my question, 75% are against what i asked the other poster. I have concerns over immigration and would respond a such if i was asked in a poll, but that doesnt mean i would actively oppose ipac centres or engage in violent clashes with the gardai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Even the bleedin heart lefties can take time out from calling people "far roight and wacist" to note that it's not right to place 300 men in a town of 250 people and literally change the course of a community that has existed for a thousand years overnight.

• Advertisement

Because I lived nearby in edenmore for the last 8 years and never heard a peep or saw any protests until now

Oh right, follow the development and planning system for the North Dublin area in detail then do you? Or just because you resided on the northside of Dublin means you pick up your knowledge of the next few years of planning applications for fun then? I'm sure not even some of the local councillors in the area know as much as you claim to..

Do you normally expect to see announcements in the media regarding extra services when apartments are built, or only when IPAS centres open?

Announcements regarding dropping 500 to 1000 IPA's into an area isn't part of the standard planning process nor is it announced years in advance in the news so how would I know about IPAS centres opening exactly?

i hope you're right, because would give time to amend policy and correct things but I fear we are barrelling down the tracks like a runaway train a lot quicker than people realise.

The vast majority of people in new apartment developments would probably already have a doctor, dentist etc.

500+ men from another country won't.

that because there is no plan, the government are like headless chickens and haven't thought it through. The countries infrastructure investment and implementation is painful slow and marred in delays and totally out of sync with population increases. Often objected too by the same people who claim we should welcome every asylum chancer with open arms.

Post edited by prunudo on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

They aren't saying it in good faith. Actually they will work hard to avoid saying it's a good plan because it obviously is not.

A feature of the Internet and platforms where people have discussions has always been that you will have a handful of people who, for whatever reason, get enjoyment from trying to paint others in a bad light. Implying, but not outright accusing, racism etc.

500 single unemployed males stuck in a warehouse, being promised all the opportunities in the world while being provided with none, is obviously an absolutely terrible idea. Obviously. Regardless of race or religion or any other factor. Obviously.

Some people are against it for racist reasons though and we can't be seen to be supporting that. Of course.

With social media and the Internet in general, we've manged to create a huge problem something like turkeys voting for Xmas because they've heard that racists really hate Xmas.

Advertisement