Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options
1782783784785786788»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

with price of concrete .steel and labour personally think you’d be mad ignore tamms …..any big spend on a farm now has to be questioned with the future so uncertain …if dero goes after next year or dropped to 200 and phased out over few years what’s point putting in tanks for stock you may/probably won’t be allowed keep in near future.all for progress and getting on etc but u see some younger guys around here pumping huge money into machinery ,land leases buildings etc financially they could/will be in a big hole in next few years ……older cuter lads are consolidating now,they expanded in vastly different times where you could get away with winging it for few years to get things in order ….massive risk taking that approach now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭straight

Spending money is one thing but taking on debt and depending on stocking rates to repay is another story altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Anyone hearing any prices for straw?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I think it will depend on length of draw but it could end up between 30 and 40 delivered. Don't know if the cancellation of the straw incorporation scheme will help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭ginger22

ICMSA dismiss von der Leyen’s ‘new’ strategy for agriculture until “fundamental binary decision” addressed – Commission guilty of “disabling political cowardice”

The President of ICMSA, Denis Drennan, has said that Ursula von der Leyen’s remarks in which she referenced ‘a new European strategy for our agriculture and food sector’ could not be taken seriously until such point as the Commission finally chooses to either fundamentally reform margins in the Food Supply Chain or increase direct supports to farmers without attaching expensive environmental conditions.

Mr. Drennan said that this was the fundamental binary decision that faced Ms von der Leyden and her Commission, in precisely the same way that it had faced the previous three Presidents of the Commission, without the decision ever being made.   The results of what Mr. Drennan described as “this disabling political cowardice” was the accelerated decline of the EU’s indigenous farming sector - specifically the family-based farming model - and with that, the growing fears around food security and the demonstrable inability of the EU to feed itself.

Mr. Drennan said that Ireland’s farming and food sector provided an almost perfect ‘laboratory experiment’ in how aimless and drifting EU policy implemented by an ideologically hijacked Member State Government could actually so undermine a vibrant farming sector in astonishingly short timeframes.   The ICMSA President cited Ireland’s world-famous dairy sector as his example.

“Under Ms von der Leyen’s Commission and under the present Irish Government, the value of the Irish Dairy Sector – the jewel in our agri crown – has collapsed by around 40% in just three or four years.   The average Irish dairy farmer milking 90-odd cows is now coming out with half the minimum hourly wage set by the State. That’s the legacy of her Commission’s last ‘European strategy for our agriculture and food’.   Until and unless the Commission decides – and directs – Member States to actively support their farming communities then she can go on mouthing these useless platitudes and nothing will change.  Her choice remains what it always has been: either legislate and regulate for fair margins from the retail corporations and face down their intimidation and threats of consumer inflation or increase direct supports to the farmers and decouple those payments from the environmental regulations that have effectively devalued the payments to the point of irrelevance.   Those are her choices now – and they have been the choices facing the Commission for a decade. If the EU wants sustainable food, then it’s going to have to pay a sustainable price”, said Mr. Drennan.

The ICMSA President said farmers had never denied the reality of environmental issues and climate change and the need to incorporate the science into a coherent response.   But he said that farmers had “absolutely and validly” questioned the apparent strategy of loading the costs of addressing the environment and climate change for food production onto the farmers exclusively.

The ICMSA President said that the rest of von der Leyen’s agenda was just “a string of tired aspirations” that owed more to imagination than reality.  He said that if Ms. von der Leyen and the EU was to move past cliché and into meaningful direction, then it was going to involve hard decisions about delivering sustainable incomes for farmers and sharing the cost-burden of climate change equitably.  Above all, it would require a realisation on her part that fretting about the EU’s Food Security while farmers across Europe just gave up and exited on a daily – if not hourly- basis could never be the basis for sound policy and strategic security.

Ends 18 July 2024

Denis Drennan, 086-8389401

President, ICMSA.

Or

Cathal MacCarthy, 087-6168758

ICMSA Press Office

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭stanflt

derogation farmers already have to submit meal receipts and p allowance is cross referenced to nutrient management plan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

I did my deal yesterday morning before the straw chopping announcement. €25 a bale off the field here in Wexford. That's fo winter barley straw. Buying off the same man 8 of the last 11 years. Always a tight bale and straw always top quality. Some winter straw does be coarse depending on variety but this man's has always been nice soft golden straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

completely disagree. Hole is dug, tank will be in in 3 weeks. I’tll make our winter and spring life simpler. I’m replacing a leased shed with my own tank and leaving life a lot easier. I’ll have a very small tax bill for the next few years and make my life easier

I was in that position ….you can’t stay pumping money into farm every year just to decrease tax bill …..you’ve a good number of cows now ….well up probably on where you were 5 years ago …money in substantially up ….it catches up (tax bill)big tax bill and big repayments along with young family and supporting parents is some draw on money …I was there ….most of my buildings done with no grants …..with cost of things now you’d be mad to not avail of it ….and going back to earlier point about all the uncertainty re regs /dero etc …..advisor here now doing financial plans for lads based on 165 organic n figure ….think he’s right …..see few lads now throwing caution to wind to get going farming and spending big based on x cow numbers …if/when they’ve to restock wheels will come off quick

• Advertisement

I’m not doing it to reduce a tax bill, that’s one of the benefits of it along with having all the slurry storage needed in one yard, the feed space that’s required for cow numbers we have and future proofing if they increase the .33 figure to .4 and making my life in spring easier

Grants are a night mare now and all they are is a zero sum game against your capital allowances. I’ve a friend held up a year with a new shed he is doing. Spring was an absolute **** show for him because it was held up

agree re that but 40/60% grant financially is a huge boost on a project ….most jobs done now are grant spec or very near it anyway

I know there’s great comfort in having all the storage and space but you’d have to do it based on an on figure somewhere beteeeen. 170/200 …..if I was any where near 220 or above honest answer unless it was small spend I wouldn’t build or pour concrete to maintain stock numbers at that level …repayments will have to be met and tax and day to day bills paid …….if at 220 or over now and most likely after next year dero drops to 200 …..question I’d ask of myself if in that position is will stock numbers at that reduced met repayments and leave me an income …..there might not be much comfort in looking at extra storage and not needed shed space on that scenario ……not criticising btw fair play for what your doing ……..just from talking to lots of farmers now there really felling the pinch from cost of regulation ,expansion ,day to day business ..crap weather ,lack of labour and maby pushing things too far ….I know of one farmer who I’d know ..bought block of ground added storage ,sheds etc went from 120 cows and been comfortable to 180 and managing but under pressure ….would love to go back to 120 but due to loans ,tax etc he can’t

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I am led to believe that the 220 may not be under as much threat as before but the problem now is especially on poorer land may not be able to sustain that stocking rate given the current fertiliser regime.in fact 210 is actually the new limit in reality as you loose 35 kg n per hectare of fertiliser allowance above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They aren't really a zero-sum game. If it costs (made up numbers) say 54k to put up a shed, or 90k to put up a slightly larger shed at grant spec with 40% back (getting you back to 54k) well in both cases you spend 54k and have that amount to write off. But with the grant you might have a larger shed. Grant specs mean it won't scale linearly but you often end up with a better shed. Whether or not you live to see the advantage of the better stuff is another matter.

the grant spec costings haven’t kept up with the actual cost of building. My tank will cost 75k, it wouldn’t be much more for grant spec, it has all the proper steel in it but they won’t be as close as grant spec is the only real difference, concrete will be the same. it probably would have been 15-20 k less pre Covid but dept costings aren’t reflective of the costs these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

He can always just rent more ground to keep stock numbers up to make sure the tank he's doing will be full of slurry...

Money on slurry storage is money well spent... it will always be there and slurry storage requirements are guaranteed to be become more stringent over the next few years...

We got grant for a tank and shed we did 3 years ago and it was definitely worth the hassle....

renting ground ain’t simple …nor cheap

agree on money spent in storage been good …but watching regs I’d plan it on that ….lot of farmers in similar boat to me myself included are ok atm for storage …but would like more as insurance …..but not going to commit to it because when dero is reduced and pulled it won’t be needed ….and will still have to be paid for probably with less numbers ….

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

TAMS has to be a fit for the farm and the timeframe involved.

I’ve a 100ft tank with 14-6 slat gone in here the last few weeks. It’s needed for Oct-ish depending on the weather. I looked into TAMS 12 months ago, so around 15-16 months before the tank was needed but I worked thru the different stages and realised I wouldn’t have approval in time to get it done.

I’ll get just over €3k VAT back so cost will be around €33k incl slats, concrete, and labour. But I’ve a feed barrier to do yet and probably 2 more loads of concrete to pour around it.

I’ve enough to do to get the work itself done without worrying about everything being OK-ed by a TAMS auditor.

But I wouldn’t rule out TAMS in the future, if it was a fit for whatever I might be building in future.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭straight

I think I read that they said they will update the costings for TAMS in 2025.

Advertisement