Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

1154155156157158160»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭agoodusername

Your point about the Aer Lingus route reminds me of the fact that it's the real practical route for so much of that part of Europe. For getting to the NRW region in Germany, Belgium or even Luxembourg it's really the best option.

I've used the CRL route and whilst handy and extremely affordable, you can be waiting a similar amount of time in a queue for the shuttle bus as the actual journey itself. Schiphol with the train station is just so much easier, that's before we even start talking about the airport layout and facilities.

Overall, any sort of Aer Lingus route into one of the German airports, Brussels Zaventem and/or Luxembourg would be a great help to me, especially with the early flight out being impossible to reach from outside of the Netherlands in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭notAMember

Does anyone know how the routes are decided on?

Is it at the discretion of airlines, whatever they think will be profitable?

Does the airport actively lobby for routes, or the city council lobby for routes, or Chamber of commerce? How does it work? Is there a review process or some data they review?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Totally the discretion of the airline. The airline is the one with the ultimate financial responsibilities.

Airports can offer financial incentives to airlines, and busier airports have slot restrictions, after that it's pretty much the airlines discretion.

One thing that doesn't achieve new routes is councillors talking waffle in news articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭Acosta

Sick to death of being delayed with Ryanair. Not the same airline they were before covid. We need new airlines in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

some months ago Qatar were in talks with Cork airport as they are at capacity ex Dublin and cannot increase due to the flight cap. These talks seem to have failed which is a great pity as a Middle Eastern airline opens up huge destinations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’d seriously doubt a 787 can take off from Corks runway anyway so no idea how they could operate out of there, and the 78 is the smallest aircraft that have with the range to do DOH-ORK

They have lots of 737 Max which are at least in theory in range. It’s about 1,000 km further than providence but it’s over land not an ocean which would help.

Actually forgot about the Max’s yeah. I’d still be dubious about range considering DY had issues using them with a lighter “lost cost” cabin, but it would be great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭thomil

From my understanding, Norwegian mainly had the issues with the regular 737-800, which they used in the beginning because of delivery problems for the Max8. The Max8 that took me to Providence and back all the way back in 2018 certainly didn’t have any blocked-off rows, just three seats at the front and back reserved for crew rest.

Doha would be a tight squeeze with regards to distance though. From what I can see, the great circle route would work out well enough at 5800 kilometres, which is well within the Max8’s maximum range of 6690 kilometres. Real life flight plans could really bite into that though, especially when it comes to avoiding the likes of Syria or Iraq.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

@thomil ah right, I’m not too clued in on the 73M’s so wasn’t sure. I think we both agree in theory they have the range but, in real life it’s a different story?

Just had a look at some performance graphs and it looks like the runway is just long enough for a 73M at MTOW, so I’ll conclude it won’t realistically make it to DOH, so any QR route would either be payload limited or or have a tag-on. I’d love to be proven wrong but I just don’t see it as viable, especially when DUB is up the road and they recently increased capacity there. Maybe this is why the supposed talks failed?!?

Link to performance specifications:

https://www.boeing.com/content/dam/boeing/boeingdotcom/commercial/airports/acaps/737MAX_RevD.pdf

Qatar were one of the airlines refused slots for Dublin this winter. If they wanted to add capacity to Ireland but felt the wide bodies couldn’t get enough pax at Shannon a 737 max to Cork may make sense. Would be interesting if the OP here added any more context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Sorry, even though it was I that wrote the original post re Qatar, I don’t have a lot more info, a few months ago I was listening to a radio interview with some senior member of cork airport management and he said that they were in advanced talks with Qatar as they needed more capacity ex Ireland and there were no further slots available in Dublin , there wasn’t a lot more than that to it

how do you know the talks fell through?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Qatar previously ran a Cardiff-Doha service, would it be an option to run Cork as an add on to that one? Cork-Cardiff-Doha

Would be very attractive to Cork pax if it was a brief layover in Cardiff to refuel and take on additional pax/cargo. Would take a few hours off Cork-Aus/NZ with the long/stressful LHR layovers involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭kub

Then of course with a set up like that, the technicalities of a short haul flight are the objective rather than a long haul.

I don’t, but I’ve researched it thoroughly as I’m a member of Qatar privilege club, and found zero updates. So I’m assuming it fell through.

Qatar don’t like to be tied to one aircraft type, and the cork airport member stated in that radio interview that the Boeing 737 max was the only suitable aircraft for this route.

However if it had happened, I personally think it would have been a phenomenal success, opening up the entire east to Munster based flyers.

The representative also stated that Cork-Dublin flights were being looked at and while won’t happen in the short term, he was confident that they would in the long term, he claimed (and I doubt this is correct) that Dublin is the 5th most connected airport in Ireland, and as Irish travellers sights change to destinations beyond Europe, that a Cork Dublin connection would certainly be viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭TheBetsy

Some rumours circulating on Twitter that Aer Lingus Regional may be announcing a new route shortly. Anyone heard any more?

The reddit leaker said Glasgow for the winter season was a done deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

From the Aer Lingus routes thread:

"Sorry the commentary about cuts at ORK/SNN are non-sense, EI as of last week were advising current Dublin crew of transfer opportunities to Cork base from next April." - Jack1985

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Fantastic addition

The old Stobart routes were wonderful before Covid, much as Ryanair have made up for some of them since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats a useful one, and acceptable timings too.

Advertisement