Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options
1101210131014101510161018»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Best uncapped side is a funny enough concept as there's only 14 senior players still uncapped ha.

(Actually as I type it I realise I'm going by Leinster site which isn't up to date on academy grads. Boyle got promoted so 15 that I count)

Prendergast surely in line for International minutes this November against Fiji or someone else fitness depending to others.

South Africa cemented a pretty clear pecking order for Farrell in Green of Crowley, Frawley and Prendergast (this could obviously change)

One maybe for the Ulster or Ireland thread but Aiden Morgan is a totally unknown quantity. I am NOT calling for him to be capped this November but he might go straight on the Emerging tour, and if he does well you never know. Stranger things have happened and Farrell (but now Easterby for the mo) is not afraid to make big calls.

Boyle started last season extremely strongly and Leinster looks to be managing his development quite well. His scrummaging performances were largely good but I am cognisant of fact that I had no previous performances to rate him on. He was a totally blank slate. Hopefully he starts this season and shows himself as a solid contender for European rugby.

As you said, Milne kinda forgot how to scrummage towards the end of last season. If I'm Boyle I'm looking at him saying that jersey is mine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Prendergast is locked in against Fiji, the only real question is whether he gets gametime in one of the other matches as well. Wouldn't be shocked to see him on the bench against Arg.

I think anyone who goes on the EI tour is in with a shot of gametime against Fiji, albeit it small for most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I wonder how well Morgan (1.72m, 82kg) handles the physicality. He's barely bigger than Michael Lowry (1.70m, 79kg). Might be better also if he was allowed to find his feet with Ulster through getting a run of games rather than being taken out of the set up soon after joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I hope Frawley is given a game at 12, possibly with Osborne at 13. They've worked well together for Leinster, be nice to see him in his best position for once

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

new jersey

• Advertisement

Its hard to see from the list of uncapped players who's closest to an international cap alright.

But in fairness if players take their chance well enough they put themselves in the shop Window. Joe McCarthy kinda came out of nowhere in some ways.

I've long said that TOB probably would have gotten an international cap if not for the timing of his ACL in 2022. But unless he starts this coming season with a solid few months of consistent game time I don't see it except perhaps this upcoming summer tour. He's unquestionably the closest uncapped Leinster player.

Outside of him, I'm not so sure. I don't think Penny is a better option than Hodnett or Dave McCann. I don't think Foley is a better option than Doak or Devine. I don't think Russell is a better option than Kilgallen or Smith.

Props are a different aspect altogether as the 3rd choice is very much up for grabs. Especially at loosehead. If Milne fixes his scrummaging (and this is something he had a reasonable hold of before last season) he could be in the shop window.

Clarkson is definitely behind Jager and even then there is still an argument to have Moore or Ryan in there. And I'm not convinced Clarkson at present is a better option than Aungier or Wilson.

With Sheehan gone the conversation at hooker might open up? One injury to Kelleher or Herring and we're looking further down the depth chart. Obviously Stewart is there. And we can and do call on Heffernan. That's probably an acceptable depth chart and given the age profile of Sheehan Kelleher and Stewart. We don't exactly need to harvest more youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭DelMcG

Looks more like South Dublin to me... 🤔😅

To be fair Lowry still got international caps at his stature.

10s can get away with having a more diminutive stature these days too. Thinking of Marcus Smith and Damien McKenzie.

But your point is valid. Probably better he gets comfortable in Ulsters setup. Heck he might even be way off the mark. I do think it will add an interesting conversation if he comes and lights it up immediately

I neither love it nor hate it.

I do love how they've embroidered the crest on though. As it should be.

In any case as with many jerseys in recent years I am far too cheap to buy it. But if given it as a present I will be earnestly thankful and like it 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It looks decent enough but my jaysus they made no effort with the launch photos. Who’s around the office? Nah you’ll be grand in jeans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭DelMcG

I know where you're coming from but the marketing guff is all about wearing it "on & off the field" so that's the vibe they're going for, I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Wish they'd done gold piping on it.

Advertisement