Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Would the simplest solution I wonder, be to simply swap roles in the White House? Harris stepped forward as the replacement candidate while Biden remained on as VP for the sake of continuity of governance? Then at least it's not a total shock to the system for the Democrats while still being able to say to the undecideds (if they still exist) and independent voters, look you're still voting for the "Biden" administration if you liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

"You want a president that needs their hands held?!" Would be the republican rallying call

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Doesn't matter who they pick, the MAGA-GOP is gonna attack, attack, attack with no depth too low; so do't think that should figure in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Derkaiser93

100%. It would most likely be Kamala. I think she's a poor candidate and wouldn't be that confident about her winning but like you said i think the sheer drama of a replacement, a new candidate, a new energy alone will bring a big boost. Hopefully it would be enough.

What I do know though is this panic and uncertainty can't continue and I think Biden has to go purely for that reason. If you're sticking with Biden then stop the leaks from the party and unrest, hunker down and back the candidate like Republicans do with Trump. Or get rid of him and get someone in. Because this whole unrest and keeping Biden in is the worst of both worlds and just portrays weakness and uncertainty to voters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Perhaps the Covid story is the start of the end. Get Covid, get some complications that mean he has to reluctantly drop out of the race. Saves face a little and is a cleaner process than a full attempted ousting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thatsdaft

Someone mentioned that Republicans would attack regardless

But that’s why the candidate needs to be someone who can absolutely reduce these attacks and expose these clowns for what they are, hell is there any comedians who are quick witted who can run?

Like I said, someone who can stand there and laugh at Trump and say “ok boomer” or “I see you fallen asleep again”

Trumps biggest weakness is his age, Americans it seems have no issues with him being a liar, a rapist and a criminal

But age is an issue for both candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Reports that Biden could be gone by the weekend, certainly how so. Just waiting to see how the Democrats can mess things up next.

I said it. But therein lies the question: who could run that wouldnt attract GOP attacks? Answer, nobody so why worry? They're gonna attack regardless and really the question is who's the best fit to seduce the undecided and independent voters? Cos that's the main focus in this hypothetical, not how MAGA will treat them (based on previous, disgracefully in all likelihood)

Yeah was just gonna say CNN saying Bidens asked his advisors if Kamala can win..and Axios saying top Democrats expecting he will step aside in the coming days. Seems like he's toast. Gonna be hard for them to win it but they've a chance..with Biden I think they've no chance.

it’s not about attracting attacks, those will come regardless of who is running

It’s about being able to ruthlessly and quickly and in quick witted manner swat these attacks especially in debates, something that Biden couldn’t do as he was too busy rambling away on unrelated tangents and mangling his numbers which made him look terrible

Comedians might be good at that as they regularly deal with hecklers

We live in a tick tock age where it no longer matters (fml what have things come to) if the candidate is a rapist criminal who lies, what matters is their age and on how many phones the video of the put down of opponents appear on

Democrats badly need someone who car ran physically and verbally laps around Trump and trigger him to implode on stage, as when Trump loses what little control is when his ugly little Nazi white supremacist comes out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Could Mayor Pete come back in?

Seems pretty sharp in terms of anything you see of him in footage online and deals with rep attacks well.

Young, former armed services. Being gay may be something that works against him with rust belt voters though?

Just seen this

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4777222-biden-replacement-democrats-battleground/

The memo singled out four Democrats who bested Biden’s results by roughly 5 points overall across the battleground states: Sen. Mark Kelly (Ariz.), Maryland Gov. Wes Moore, Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro and Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Obama saying (privately) that Biden needs to reconsider his position

Mark Kelly would be an interesting candidate:

• Former Astronaut
    • Has won statewide in a swing state
    • Wife survived a political assassination - unlike Trump, she was severely injured

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’m not condoning it but honestly No way would huge amounts of voters go for him.

Yeah I don't think America is ready for a directly elected gay President. The ethnic minorities in particular might be tough to win over. Shame though as I'd say he'd be a good one.

The sad part is that they seem quite fine with a criminal / liar / rapist

Which is why I think the democratic strategy has been wrong, they are fighting this like elections of past

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If Harris, who would be the VP? Would that be a way Pete could get on, or would they go with the more establishment Newsom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well, it does give trump the chance to call astronaut's losers as well (and no doubt mock his wife for being shot).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭eire4

Newsome would be a waste IMHO as California is a gimmie for the Democrats as a state. They would be better going for a VP candidate who can give them a good chance at winning a battleground state say such as Whitmer in Michigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

I know nothing about Harris. She seems like the most silent VP in a while. I do wonder though if the chance to eject the first woman president might energise voters. To be fair it didn’t count for much in 2016 with a much better candidate in Hillary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Can you name anyone who had a substantial role as VP though?

Biggest issue of a female president is getting the mid-west/rust belt male voters onside…a ton of them of the opinion that a woman is too emotional to be in that much of a position of power

I wonder would Josh Shapiro actually be a decent shout as a candidate. Some of his pros are that he's young and dynamic. A very good charismatic speaker who'd run rings around Trump. He's Govener of Pennsylvania which if he won that would be a big boost and he polls well in other battleground states.
    Cons are that he's a very pro Israeli jew which might not go down well with many Muslim and left wing voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Hulkster, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Harris/Shapiro. West and East coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Saw a tweet this morning where someone claims that Biden is going to pull out, but is not going to resign and is not going to endorse Harris.

If this is the case, then it's a massive clusterfcuk on the Dem side.

It would go some way towards explaining how invisible and ineffective she has been as VP but if he refuses to endorse her, what message does it send when he has already removed himself?

I find it hard to believe to be honest. He supposedly decided to run in 2016 because he was so concerned of the dangers of Trump. To have seen Trump in the 8 years since and to be putting the Dems in this position doesn't strike me as something he would do, but who knows at this point.

Maybe if he refused to endorse on the grounds that the 'party' didn't select her in primaries it could an argument based on the technical process, but he'd want to be able to back that up with a suggestion of how the party could select someone rather than just handing the nomination to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the thing to remember is be it Biden Harris etc is that the people behind them are out of a job if someone else comes along. There will be a lot of inertia to keep things the way they are, the Dems must know they are likely out on their ear in Nov so the only small thing they have now is that they get President Harris for 4 months as a minor win ?

Biden is a lame duck at this stage so smart people will be trying to look over the horizon trying to find their life rafts and no doubt existing donors are mad finding out they have been throwing money down a pit

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Don't forget if it is not Harris then all donations given to Biden/Harris campaign have to be given back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That would be a major factor in the choice of candidate I'm imagine

Advertisement