Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Center Parcs Experience

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yes. Sorry to be blunt but I would say leave it at least another couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Tefral

I go every year. went since the smallest fella is 1. Savage place. I have friends that stay in the same executive lodge as us. Makes it dirt cheap. Family upstairs and downstairs and shared kitchen. We get to have a few beers in the evening and we share cooking duties.

Eating out there has become a bit much and the service… well you can tell they arent getting the staff, but to be honest we cook at the house and its perfect now. Do a BBQ too on the stand they have in the back.

The activities are class and not over sold and the pool facilities are unreal for small kids. Having no cars about the place and cycling etc makes the place so safe its good .

The shop on site could rip your eyeballs out more, but its comparable to a local centra/spar.

Your 6month old will love the pool, You'll be holding them but theres loads of smallies there when we go during school breaks.

I'd recommend it no problem and anyone I know go back year on year. Theres a reason they have over 90% occupancy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

yes I’d love to go again too. It is a great spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I just read that article. I think he's trying to be funny, or ironic. He fails miserably and comes across like a grumpy see you next Tuesday.

Having been to Center Parcs 3 times, I'd be delighted to go back again tomorrow. Yes it's expensive, where isn't? Lids have an absolute blast, and parents should have a great time watching their kids be absolutely delighted at all the fun and exciting things there are to do there.

I'd say that "journalist" doesn't have too much fun in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

It's actually very good at those ages - the 3 year old will be happy with the beach, the playgrounds and the pool I.e. the free things to do. But you can book some other cheap things like arts and crafts, kids soccer etc. to punch in a few hours.

They will be too young for the expensive stuff like the zip lining etc. You can also book in the off season (outside school holidays) which is a lot cheaper.

• Advertisement

Tbh the beauty of Centerparcs is that it just takes a lot of decision making out of a holiday. You don't have to worry about any sort of logistics - where to eat and will it be kid friendly, where to go, what to do and how to get there etc - these things are a hassle/headache with kids on a standard holiday and you don't really have to worry about them in CP. Even walking around in a safe place and letting the kids "off the leash" gives a certain peace of mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭roosterman71

A lot here thinking if it's any good to go too. But I think a lot are thinking about it from their point of view. It's for the kids really and kids don't care if they eat out or in. I'd say go and book it. The 3 year old will have a great time and will eat whatever is given, wherever it is. Food is average and a bit pricey. Shop is standard enough prices as any shop in any town bar supermarkets. But you're not going there for the food or the shop. It's all about the kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah and that's exactly what that Irish Times guy has missed. The whole article is about how bored he was, how much money it cost him, how he didn't enjoy the activities. My favourite bit is his moaning that the swimming area was wet, FFS.

If you're bringing small kids on a holiday and expect it to be all about you, then Center Parcs absolutely isn't for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

the article is obviously a humorous take on it. Surprised at the reaction here tbh. He’s not wrong in his observations. He also explicitly stated everyone had a brilliant time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Center Parcs is geared almost exclusively to middle class young families with children - families with high earning couples with plenty of disposable income and looking to avoid the stress and hassle of travelling abroad with small children. For that particular demographic, it's perfect.

If you are looking for good dining whilst on holiday (as my OH and I do when we go abroad or take a short break in Ireland) there are much better places to stay that offer these options.

Plenty of Irish moan and give out about the extortionate prices when holidaying at home (and I agree with them, Ireland has become too expensive and largely very poor value for money compared to other countries) but seem to opt to pay up anyway and then moan about it later.

Continentals would simply not be prepared to be completely ripped off whilst on holidays but it seems us Irish love parting with our money easily and that's one of the reasons places like Center Parks charge so much for their facilities - they know their Irish clientele will pay up anyway. As a people, us Irish are collectively poor with being discerning where we spend our money.

I personally do not see the point in taking an infant under the age of 2 on holiday - they will not remember nor enjoy it and only serve to act as an additional stressor for their parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Dano650

Centre Parcs is a great spot. Would highly recommend it. Brought the kids last summer and they loved it. Always something to do even if the weather is bad. Yes the food is overpriced in the restaurants but you can always bring your own food. And with it being an expensive spot it keeps the riff raff out 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

AH is gone to the dogs 🙄 How can something as boring as Center Parcs be generating this many posts?

I personally do not see the point in taking an infant under the age of 2 on holiday - they will not remember nor enjoy it and only serve to act as an additional stressor for their parents.

They may not be able to recall it when they are older but a change of scenery and lots of activities are only a good thing. They will certainly enjoy it.

They won't be any more or less of a stressor than they would be at home or anywhere else. I've brought toddlers abroad twice and to centerparcs twice and I can assure you they (and we) had a ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I can assure you, it doesn't. Especially around the Christmas week timeframe. Plenty of riffraff there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Reading through this debate over the past couple of pages I'd bear in mind that different people want different things from a holiday. Some people love Centre Parcs with all the activities and resturants. Some people hate it and want something different. That's life. I know people who go on holidays each year and their priority is historical landmarks or famous sites that they can tour around and visit. I know other people who want to go to a beach and sit in the sun all day and then hit the bars/clubs at night. And I'm sure the different types of holiday go on and on. If you put someone who likes a boozy sun holiday on a history tour they will hate it and vice versa.

So if you like Centre Parcs that's OK. I'm in that camp. But if you read the description of the holiday and think it's not for you that's OK also. But really I think this "It's great. No it's awful" debate is going no where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Absolutely. Different folks, different strokes.

I love to get away from Ireland and do a sun holiday with a bit of site seeing also. (Rome, Northern Spain, Southern France, Algarve etc). But that doesn't mean I think Centre Parcs is poor. I liked it. Just it's let down in a few areas and the restaurants and their poor food / prices is a big one. I don't think that can be argued with too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

We have just been on a short Irish holiday, center parks is influencing holiday we stayed in a luxer studio over looking a lake it had ever thing, coffee pods rain forest shower with low lights double bath, full kitchen. a outdoor patio. They also had woodland lodges with Private outdoor hot tubs and lodges on the lake.

We ate in the attached hotel one of the days, rest of the time we got M&S food, bottle of champagne and a cheese and chatuter plate.

The freedom of not having a room is fantastic, while still having the facilities of a hotel.

Center parks are a mad price but I can see why parents choose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭enricoh

Just looked up October this year mon- fri 3 bed chalet sleeps 6 - e750. I think that's good value tbh n will probably book it. Any Airbnb will cost that here, n don't think 6 people will go far going abroad for it.

Is that during the mid term or during normal school term? That's key.

Monday 21st October. That's not key, nowhere here or foreign will touch it for value n no airport bulls#$t with kids in tow imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I went by myself the Covid Christmas where we were not to spend the time with other households where somebody would be vulnerable, or something like that. They were giving half price, went for an Executive Lodge, private hot tub, sauna, steam room, absolutely amazing at Christmas. Very quiet, atmospheric. My own log fire, games room, had an absolute ball!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Strange, I didn't as much as smirk while reading it. I can't see him doing stand up comedy any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭markpb

There was an error displaying this embed.

Like holidays, people can have differing opinions about what they find funny.

Plenty of destinations abroad will meet it or beat it for value. Yeah I get the airport hassle though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I don't think people are getting the fact that it's not about value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

It looks and sounds like somewhere I would have loved to go as a child. My parents always took us to Wales or North Yorkshire. Both lovely places of course, but staring out of a rainy caravan window or taking a tour of another ruined castle or abbey wasn't my idea of fun. Looking back of course I appreciated the time with family and the memories. We did Butlins/Pontins a couple of times I think. Nowhere near the level of facilities that CP has though.

If you can afford it and think your kids will enjoy it, then go for it I say. The idea of throwing everything in the car and being "on holiday" in under 2 hours sounds incredibly appealing and I don't even have young kids anymore. I'd definitely think about going with grandkids when they arrive !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Funnily I was only saying the other day to someone that it’s basically a modern day holiday in mosney. They are miles apart in so many ways but ultimately it’s a family holiday with lots to do and ease of getting there for most. It doesn’t have the nighttime culture that mosney had, most of the drinking seems to be done back in the lodge but that’s no bad thing really.

If you can get me flights and accommodation abroad for 6 people for 4 nights for e750 I'll give ya e100 finder fee!

I booked that earlier as I don't think that offer will be around too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

off season is always good value. We have 4 bed executive booked for Jan already. I like the post Xmas month.

Cheap (relative)

Quiet (relative).

Xmas lights are still up.

Something to beat the post Xmas blues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭markpb

I’ve been to Centre Parcs once and we’re going back again this year because the kids loved it. I think it can be good value for money compared to flying abroad (especially for bigger families) but the food is the exception - eating out was a wallet draining activity. The service and to a lesser extent the food don’t live up to the prices they charge.

Advertisement