Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes on Trains

• 18-07-2024 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭

Pretty sure there is an older thread on this but the Boards search engine is useless so here's a new thread.

Iarnrod Eireann have recently introduced some new carriages with extra bike spaces. The trouble is it's not clear which lines they are on. I asked at the ticket desk in Houston this morning and was told the staff don't know but that there definitely wouldn't be one on the Galway train.

A few minutes later, after getting on the train to Galway, I discovered the new bike spaces. Two spaces are marked for bikes and have seat belts to hold them upright. On the opposite side there are 5 flip up seats where, in theory, you can stand (or sit?) while holding your bike. 3 of these seats were occupied presumably by people who hadn't booked seats. Elsewhere on the train was the normal rack whee yout can hang 2 bikes.

It really doesn't look like a huge improvement on the previous arrangement.

Update: in Galway I discovered there was a second new carriage on the train and the same on the evening return. On the return all the seats were occupied in both bike areas.

Post edited by Mercian Pro on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

yeah came across some of these from Pearse, think they were on the Drogheda and or Hazelhatch/Newbridge services ??

I initially thought this is great..lots more spaces..if one side of seats could be removed and upright storage used instead would make a lot more space (and sense)…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think these were bought with short commuters on busy services in mind who could just sit or stand with the bike.

Cork-Dublin now has the kind of thing you are talking about on most services. It's kinda like the old goods shed with some racks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Most of the Cork and all of the Belfast trains have a separate "guards" van that can take lots of bikes. These new carriages have a multipurpose area at the end of a regular carriage that is intended to take bikes, wheelchairs and foot passengers in whatever mix shows up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭cyfac

This was the Galway train on Monday I had to leave my bike which was booked in outside the train drivers door conductor told me I couldn’t leave it there and that I would have to get I told him at the next stop I would throw the luggage off and then I would have room for the bike he scowled off and I saw no more of him

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sell9999

You were unlucky.

One conductor helped tremove all the luggage for me, usually I just lift it all out myself into the aisle and let people sort it out themselves.

• Advertisement

Photos of the bike area on the Cork train on Friday. Just 3 hanging spaces and the possibility of leaning a bike or two against the wall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

To be fair to most IR staff, if you are booked on, they will halt the train and spend a few minutes moving all the furniture, even if it fills every overhead space going. The reason your bike can't stay where it is, is that the CSOs have secondary roles and may need to get into or out of that cabin which is why they get snarky about it. If you were at the other end of the carriage and stayed with your bike, you'd have more chance of not getting a negative reaction but they rarely explain this which I find silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

Wondering if anyone has experience of the Wicklow to rosslare line? It says i can only book two bikes on any train on that line, but i'm planning a trip with two or three of the kids in the near future. Thinking of booking two bikes and risking the other one or two? Can't exactly leave some of the kids behind if they want to go. I could throw all the bikes and kit in the car and find somewhere to park it down there, but trying to be eco friendly here! Irish rail don't make it easy for a family to travel with bikes.

I go up and down daily, so this is Monday to Friday advice, if you are able to book the two bikes on, you will squeeze two kids bikes in between but over the summer it can be difficult based on the time of day you go at. First train in the morning (10:47) is normally pretty empty so you'd get away with it. Lunchtime is always overpacked (14:47), not a hope to be honest unless you get on in Connolly. The 17:49 is the main commuter return and would be unlikely to get space. The 18:49 is normally the old train, so no bike spaces but it is more open so you will get them on, look for the WC carriage but any carriage will do. Last train is normally quiet as well but only goes to Wexford town, not Rosslare.

On the return, it is normally quiet in Rosslare getting on so plenty of tie to make them fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Twice last year I prebooked my bike onto trains only to find the slots taken up when I boarded, had to wedge it against one of the doors both times, every time train stopped I had to get up and move it to allow people in.

I said it to the conductor that I went to the bother of prebooking, whats the point if some others just walk on and put their bikes on without booking? He said, "Oh that will be properly enforced 'soon' ". Is it "soon" yet, one year on? 🙄 Infuriating.

• Advertisement

that's great advice. I was eying up the afternoon train to get us to wexford at around 4.30, then a 25km cycle to campsite in morriscastle, and then a 60 km cycle home the next day. I might look at cycling the opposite direction though, and maybe do the long bit the first day and aim to get to wexford for the train home, especially if it is quieter that way. Worst case i ditch the train idea and just take the diesel burner down, cycle back with the kids over two days and then head back myself the third day to collect the van.

It's not easy to be green as a family with our public transport options.

I can understand the infuriation alright, but the lack of bike spaces is the real problem.

If you can, go for the 1st train, you won't get on that one unless very lucky.

I'll give it a try. On holidays from work in two weeks so will be going then. Thanks a mill

Good man it's exactly what I would do. My other option would be to leave it next to the luggage in a way that blocked the aisle.

In fairness to the conductor the tickets don't have any indication if you booked a bike so it's easy for anyone to just blag their way on.

They actually do, they get a list of who booked a bike and from where. The CSOs on the Wexford train know if I am turning up in the morning because my name pops up on their system. Some CSOs are quite strict and will pop down and put you off or warn you that if Person A is in Bray that you will have to take the bike off. This isn't all trains, the Connolly routes tend to be stricter in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭myfreespirit

Booking a bike on a train and then actually getting a space to store the bike on a bike rack seems to be pot luck. Yesterday I had booked my bike from Kilcock to Drumcondra on the Sligo-Connolly train. Sure enough, when I got on, the only two spaces were already occupied by bikes. Surprisingly, the CSO allowed me to store the bike outside the cabin door for the journey.

Actually I was thinking of the guys on the platform taking tickets. Maybe they have a list too but didn't seem like it when I was asking as I was worried because my ticket had no bike proof.

Oh, you are right there, I was on about the CSOs, I thought it did print it in small writing on it but they don't care and certainly don't seem to check it. They might in Connolly to stop you getting on a DART if they are bored but once you say its an intercity service they let you through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭traco

Heuston Portlaoise and back is always jammed with bikes and scooters. People in the doorways, bike racks full, scooters sticking out of the luggaage areas etc. Only any control once and that was a morning train out of Huesuton where the driver refused to move unless all the bike storage spaces were used. Someone had to hop off, walk down the platform and put the bike in the free space. Aside from that I have never seen any enforcement. Dosen't impact me as the Brompton will sit in teh luggae area and even if I can't get in there its tiny in the dooryway area. Even the new carraige when its on doesn't seem to be any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Really need a conductor to enforce the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Not all the Belfast trains have the van for bikes, only the Enterprise. So best to check when you book which train it'll be. From the end of August, increase in services to Belfast also mean more ICRs on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

On a recent trip with mates, we got three bikes into the rack. There's also a separate locker which can hold a single adult bike, but you'd have to ask a staff member to use it.

Some more info on the new bike storage area on Intercity trains.

https://irishcycle.com/2024/08/20/in-depth-look-at-new-bicycle-storage-on-irish-rail-intercity-and-long-distance-commuter-railcars/comment-page-1/#comment-240906

When you actually go to book a seat on the Irish Rail website, some of the trains show the usual one two-bike storage area and others show a second one. It's not clear how the booking system factors in the space in the new carriages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭cletus

Maybe this is a completely stupid question, but which way are the bikes to be oriented?

Are the front/back wheels supposed to slot in where the gap in the seats (with the seat belt retention thing), or are the bikes to be stored sideways, blocking those flip down seats

Sideways. I've been on it a few times now and usually people with bikes just sit or stand and hold the bikes. Seeing as the vast majority of people have a seat booked I've never seen it before in issue in terms of "taking up seats"

Advertisement