Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I completely agree with you! We were in La Garangeoire two years ago and it was wall to wall GAA jerseys. We were then in Carnac for a week and it was the exact opposite. Funnily enough, Carnac was wall to wall GAA tops last year so we said feck it, let's abandon Eurocamp, the kids don't need kids club and we went with Siblu instead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Actually, you just reminded me of something that my Father mentioned years back - that there is an effective line going across from La Rochelle to Poitier where the sun-hours and average temperature is greater than in Vendee/Brittany.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭fits

yeah we stopped off in Normandy for a few nights on way home last year and it was horrible and a waste of time as well as bad weather. My only experience of a euro camp type place and I’m afraid to ever try another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

La Palmyre gets as many hours of sunshine as the med coast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Thanks so much for all the helpful responses. My other option is to travel in the first two weeks of August. Would that make a difference to people as regards their recommendations?

The thing I'm concerned about is a long car trip. My kids are reasonably good in the car but I'm just thinking... they'll have a two hour trip to the ferry... whatever amount of time on board and then packing them in to a car again... i love my kids...but they don't take confinement well! I'm thinking a max two to three hours after the ferry would be loads... but I also don't want crappy weather. Is that a possibility if I travel in August instead of June?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Peckham

It's always a possibility, but your odds are much better in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I've been in far south west in August and had rain, and Vendée in late June early July and had days of 40°. (Happened several times actually) Used to take breaks there of 4 to 6 week blocks and it was random from time to time. You just couldn't tell. Last year was Vendée in mid July, had low, mid and high was, some days into 30°.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

You can think of the ferry as part of the holiday, it starts as soon as you're on board. Ours kids (5 and 8) love it, it's far from confinement! As for the car journey afterwards, if you stop for a bite to eat and run around after 2-2.5 hrs, it does break it up, and I think you'll find easy enough to do another 2-2.5 hrs afterwards (we do make use of technology to keep them entertained I should note!). The vast majority of the time, you'll be on high quality dual carriageway or motorways, which are relatively easy to drive on, especially with someone in the passenger seat for the toll booths. We go to the Vendee coast most years, and as others have alluded to the weather can vary, but generally it's very good. Although August is usually the hotter month, sometimes it's July. They're very proud of their 'micro-climat' around these parts though if you talk with the locals! Good luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭Milly33

Sure the weather anywhere is better than Ireland so just take the chance :).

As above the ferry itself is fun for the kids, they can just run around.. I had horrors of even letting the kids out on deck ( I have images of me hooking myself to a door with a bungee rope, hanging onto the kids with life jackets wrapped around them, just for fear they would get close to the edge :) )

Needless to say no worries, the upper deck is well blocked off and well yeah you have to watch them but it is very safe.We were on the older ship last year and while there was not a lot to do there was enough.If the kids like dolphins ye might be lucky enough to get a glimpse of them which is great so plenty to do on board to keep them happy. There are plenty of places close to port.. Pick how long ye want to drive and take it from there otherwise you'll drive yourself nuts trying to pick. Make sure the car has air con too (made that mistake last year). This was the last place we stayed on the way back https://www.campingdelileverte.com/en/ It was grand had nice places close by the visit, and was very relaxed.. Small pool all that goes..The mobiles were great there very nice, people need a bit of work but ok..

With the car journey maybe pack a case for each kid, put maybe a lollipop (no need to rant on choking), those magic eraser boards, have a bingo game set for yer drive of things to spot on the way it can be done.. Also, Air Fryer if ye have one ye should bring that is one thing a lot of the mobiles for not have ovens

August has another challenge though - historically Paris as a whole take their holidays en-masse on the coasts during August. The whole process of decamping from Paris and the suburbs on particular days creates mayhem on some of the roads out of Paris (Friday for example) and then the reverse on the roads into Paris on others (such as Sunday). In August the local traffic volumes (such as between campsites and shops) are also considerably higher than any other month too, a journey to the shops which took 7 mins in June could easily take 25 mins in August - all coupled with higher temperatures and frayed nerves.

I recall passing one of these traffic jams on the A10 around Saint-Jean-d'Angély on a Saturday - I was heading North to catch a ferry, while there was a solid ~25km tailback in the South lane due to a minor enough accident beforehand.

The ability to plan to avoid the worst of the traffic is given a name in France - it's called the Bison Futé (the smart Bison who goes around the herd) and it's the concept of using alternate routes to avoid the worst of the traffic. It's such as big thing in France that they have a government travel website to allow you to see traffic forecasts and see road closures in advance (btw, effectively no roads are repaired in France in August unless it's a major emergency).

For example, here's the forecast for Friday the 26th:

And then for Saturday the 27th:

https://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/previsions%2C10741%2Clangen.html

So go to France in August with this in mind. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

A few years ago we did it.

Ferry to Cherbourg and drove to B & B just beside disney. Then had 2 nights in the Disney Davey crockett ranch - this gave us 3 days passes with golden hour for the parks. Whee we arrived at the B & B the lady there told me I could go and check into Davey Crockette for the next day and get my passes so I drove to Davy crockette and picked up my passes - that gave us 2 hours early access to the parks on day 1 before our accommodation was ready. We didnt have to arrive at Davey Crockette until 8pm the next day so got full use of the park.

After that did croix du vieux pont for 10 days and it was excellent. Drove home via Dover and UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

After decades of travelling on the Pont Aven, I was on the Amorique from Cork to Roscoff last night. Much better than expected. Little ir no queues for food or at the bar. Much prefer the bar actually as it is nicely divided whereas I always felt the Pont Aven was a bit loud and stuffy. Through passport control and on the road around 8.10.

Urgh, we're heading up to Caen from La Palmyre on the 26th. Hopefully it won't be too bad because we'll (for the most part) be heading away from the main areas 🫣

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

anyone here camping in france, did the 3 star camping municipal for years and found some fabulous sites. planning on going next year. are they still as common and as good ?

Hopefully you'll skirt most of it and use Google Maps or even better Waze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Sailed on Armorique in 2022 and booked on her again for late August. Very nice ship and of course the midweek sailing is never as busy as the weekend one.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭flyer_query

Quick question, anyone recommend La Rochelle for a day trip? Ive heard it highly recommended as a destination for adults but wondering if 3 kids between 5 and 9 would be too much. It would be a 60min drive each way so the drive itself is fine.

it's a beautiful spot, highly recommend it. We've done plenty of day trips there over the years. There are some lovely places to eat near the port, a good playground and some amusement rides too. The big wheel is nice too for a panoramic view. Our kids enjoyed it.

As spuddy said, La Rochelle is one of the better small cities in that region to take a day-trip to. The port is fantastic and the general relaxed nature makes it an easy visit. As for kids, i know that my two were tricky at that age, so maybe they'll agree to a trade-off - bring them to the Aquarium (which is supposed to be good enough) for a whinge-free rest-of-day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

As others have said, the ferry slows you down. It's part of holidays. Bring a bottle of wine or two, some snacks a book and enjoy. Remember to feed the kids!

The other option is fly and car hire to campsite. Which is also a great holiday. You'll spend more on eating out, but sure that might suit ye.

Another option is the ferry to Bilbao and drive 2hrs over into SW France. Saves the big drive down for the sunny weather.

• Advertisement

Never used Waze but might give it a go this time. Getting fed up with Google Maps sending me different ways off the beaten track to save 2mins and then I end up losing 20mins. When we left Cherbourg we were sent an alternative way on D roads for 45mins. Early lost the rag because we were on 80km roads stuck behind an effing caravan for most of it. Lost a good 20mins because of that.

Also, any tips for places to visit in La Rochelle will be gratefully received. We're hoping to head there next Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 idontknowdoyou

The aquarium in la rochelle was brilliant and then we did the bunkhouse museume which was great for older kids but would avoid if you have kids in buggies. La Rochelle was beautiful. Well worth the journey time to it

Post edited by idontknowdoyou on

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭raxy

Waze will do the same as Google maps, it just doesn't say how much time you are saving.

They both tell me to turn off the M50 at tallaght & again at belgard to save a minute. Stay on the M50 & the time goes down when you pass the junction.

I'd say Google maps would be better because it gives you the option of staying on the original route. Waze doesn't seem to do that.

Waze is owned by Google, they're two sides of the same coin. I prefer G Maps but like the speed camera notifications from Waze. Neither will steer you far wrong (pardon the pun).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

I hadn't considered getting the ferry to Bilboa, you've opened up a whole new can of worms for me now! I'm driving myself insane with all the options, the biggest issue is I'm coming from no knowledge or experience having never been on a ferry before myself. Off to so some more googling now.

Thanks so much to everyone for replying. Lots of food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Yea the aquarium in La Rochelle is brilliant. We just strolled around otherwise. They seem to to boat sightseeing trips from the harbour, worth a look maybe. Plenty of lovely restaurants and bars to relax at. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Charliebull

would you recommend Les Brunelles , considering there next year, was in Pin Parasol this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Baybay

I’m tempted by the ferry to Bilbao except for the amount of time spent on board. On the WB, a lot of the time is spent sleeping which suits me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭suilegorma

Have done 2 nighter to Bilbao, 1 nighter to Bilbao and Dub- Cherbourg. Honestly the time on the ferry felt the same for all! I way prefer knocking around a ferry reading than sitting in a car. Do a total door to door journey check and see how long the travel is and how long you spend in the car v awake on ferry and decide from there.

Advertisement