Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Officer 2024 interview

• 18-07-2024 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all, I have an interview coming up for a TCO position and am wondering what questions I may be asked and how i should go about answering them? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FunkyChicken24

They generally ask you interviews based on your answers on the application form. They will be asking you questions about your work experience and you need to answer with the competencies or capabilities in midn, so you want to have answers worked out for the different jobs that hit multiple capabilities and try to use the STAR format. Write out a script for yourself for each story from your experience and then practise reading it out loud a few times so that your mouth and brain get used to saying the different sentences but also so that you can see whether it sounds good. Sometimes things sound better when written but clunky when said out loud. Also, try not to be too worried about it, the TCO interviews are relatively difficult to flunk so you are most likely going to pass the interview but obviously how much you impress them may have a bearing on where you get placed, but I am not sure about that though. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MagicJ100

Thanks for the advice. I think you retain your OOM regardless of the interview though, it's just about passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

The only way you could flunk a TCO interview is if you said you want to knife everyone in the office on arrival. And even then you'd probably pass it if you said that in a way that aligned with the competencies. I've never heard of anyone failing a TCO interview unless he/she was purposely trying to fail it. I got TCO with zero work experience and I think I was asked about 5 questions mainly like "have you heard of Microsoft word". And this was when unemployment levels were about triple what they are now so I'm sure the standard is even lower.

Go in with a positive attitude. Read up on the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel etc).

And have your stories ready in the STAR format as discussed. You'll be fine :)

@Wonderstruck @FunkyChicken24 Interview was fine bar one question I was asked about a project I was proud of, totally stumped me because I don't deal with projects in work and it wasn't listed anywhere in the sample questions or competencies.

Hopefully I'll be ok.

• Advertisement

You're welcome 😊 Just to be clear, when I said "how much you impress them may have a bearing on where you get placed" I meant which department or body you get placed in not about your OOM but again, I am not sure how much of an impact it has or whether it is literally just the luck of the draw in terms of where you end up

I'm glad it went well, I wouldn't worry about that one question. Sometimes they might ask you a question that is a little left field just to see how you handle it but as long as you don't display concerning behaviour that suggests you are un hinged then you should be fine for TCO @Wonderstruck was pretty on the money in his analysis 😁

Advertisement