Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options
1585960616264»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭pauldry

Achill usually has A chill but when weather is sh1t everywhere else it's the opposite there often. No way its 21c but its sunny all afternoon in Sligo after 10mm overnight n morning and 17.4c in back.

I looked at CFS last night and while there was a brief period of High in August the longest one I saw after that was November.

But this is Fantasy right?

After all in April they said that June and July would be cool and unsettled with light rain at times. Way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Dazler97

For once its nice and sunny here today after a wet morning , warm in that sunshine too

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rugbyf565

London has a much better climate than us, we get feck all sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Desperate day in South Wicklow. Woke up to rain and it's been misting/drizzling the whole day long. Tomorrow looks like a blanket of cloud with 19 degrees and Saturday looks a complete washout. Grey mood to match the grey weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Thunder87

While it's obviously subjective I'd say loads and loads of places have a far better climate than us, something as trivial (for most of the worlds population) as comfortably sitting outdoors in the evening is a huge novelty here, there can't be many places in the world where that's the case in mid summer!

Extremely dark with rain on and off all day in Dublin today, feels a bit milder than it has been at least but zero sunshine again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭fits

it’s worse looking out at it than being out in it. Actually very mild and still here in carlow. Cloudy but warm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Such a beautiful evening out by the coast at Fenit, calm and mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭compsys

I wouldn't agree that almost everywhere has a better climate.

Each to their own of course. But a lot of places where you can sit out comfortably in the evening you can't sit out comfortably during the day as it's far too hot. You're still restricted. Hence the traditional Spanish siesta.

And many places in Canada and Scandinavia which have lovely summers have very long and cold winters where many outdoor activities become impossible.

I've met many foreigners living here over the years who've said they prefer the Irish climate over their own back home as it's less hot.

The Irish climate isn't the best. But it's not as bad as many think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

N Tpp. clearing up now and temp clicked over 20°C just after 8 PM 😀

20.1 now

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭appledrop

Last night here on hols, British Open was on TV in pub.

Sweet Jaysus looked horrific, all the spectators in winter coats and hats!

I know that's it's in Scotland but that's grim. On plus side Shane Lowry is leading after the first round, he always does well in crap weather, sure the rest can't cope used to sun in America 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Spilling rain. Navan Meath.

18⁰

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Haven’t used the garden furniture once this summer , barely used last summer also. A waste of money in this country it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭HBC08

Beautiful summer day in Castlebar.

Down in Achill now,moon out over the Minaun cliffs,a bit chillier now but possibly the best day of the summer so far.

Usually the weather has definitely been best in the west so far this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Thunder87

When I say climate I mean more spring/summer, I'd agree our winter climate is far more liveable than most others around our latitude. The darkness definitely gets to me but temperature wise they're perfectly pleasant for the most part.

I lived in Perth in Australia for a couple of years where it's >30C from mid spring right through to late autumn with plenty days in the 40's and I'd take that any day of the week over months of 15-18C and dark damp gloom. Very easy to adjust your lifestyle to avoid the sun at the height of the day and the mornings and evenings were reliably beautiful.

Horses for courses!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭HBC08

I don't think I could take that heat for that lenght of time.

I lived in Far East Asia for a decade.

Freezing cold in winter with blue clear skies,roasting in summer and a bit of a rainy season.Lovely spring and Autumn's.Thats my preferred climate,4 distict seasons.

There were times in early July this year when it was 12 degrees,there'll often be days around Christmas where it 12 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭compsys

Yes - each to their own of course.

I'd imagine Perth is quite a dry heat though, which helps?

But in the same way as Ireland doesn't get much of a summer, Perth doesn't get much of a winter. I think I'd miss the odd frosty morning.

Don't get me wrong. If I'd to choose I'd probably take Perth weather also!

But it's not all roses in these countries with 'better' weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭mojesius

I was lucky to spend the day on Keem Beach in Achill in the sun today with my kids who had the time of their lives.

I was feeling short changed by this summer in general but got chatting to a Swiss family with young kids who were doing six weeks in their campervan in Ireland. They said that it was grey and rainy all their way from Switzerland to Rosslare, but they have surprisingly been enjoying the Irish sunshine for most of their trip from the south east, to south west to west. They are continuing their loop from Mayo through Donegal and Northern Ireland and I hope the little stems of good weather continue to follow them.

Advertisement