Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options
1367368369370371373»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Large one off house with PV but no smart meter yet. So yes, the car was plugged into his zappi the second I arrived, with the type 2 to type 1 adapter I had bought new for the buyer on Amazon and had brought with me (had tested it at my home first to see it was working ok)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Having done a number of scenic drives as well as a fair bit of motorway driving over the past few days I can definitely say a relaxed scenic drive is a much better experience

It's rare you can chill out while driving and enjoy the experience without the hustle of trying to get to wherever as fast as possible

Motorways are functional, they get you from A to B, but fun they aren't. Even if you aren't in a hurry they can be a bit stressful when drivers around you are in a rush

I've no problem driving hundreds of kilometres on motorway with the Travel Assist on, but I'm not going to pretend it's much fun. At least it's somewhere to catch up on podcasts

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Actually to give one example, we took the car up the scenic drive at Great Orme in Llandudno, Wales yesterday

Just did it on a whim, we'd visited the town and spotted the sign for the scenic drive so we went for it

The drive is along a cliff road above the Irish sea. It's a slow one way system so there's no real reason to feel rushed, plus plenty of places to pull in to admire the view

There's a road up to the summit which includes multiple steep inclines. The ID.4 handled it all like a champ, no messing around with revving and clutch control

Afterwards we went back to the A55 across north Wales and I was miserable, no fun to be had, just dodging aggro English **** trying to get home to see what football match they'd lost now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think once you're off the motorway and on A or smaller roads EV drivers might find they get much better range due to slower speeds and the roads being less open to the wind.

Sometimes it makes little difference to journey times as the A or smaller roads is more direct than the motorway and less tailbacks.

YMMV (literally and figuratively)

Honestly I think I've slowed down to conserve battery a total of 3 times in 6 years, and two of those were in the Leaf

I would agree that it does lower the energy usage a lot, but I'd view it as a bonus for taking the scenic route, not an incentive to go slow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I just got bored with the motorways especially in the UK and the traffic. Scenic route was much nicer way to travel. Then when got the EV noticed the difference in economy.

True, did the M6 past Birmingham a couple of years ago which was doing a great impression of a car park

Ended up taking a detour to save time. The twisty roads are a bit easier in an EV I'd say, no gear changes and the weight is down low keeping you planted on the road

Potentially silly question, but what's the story with older Model S having CCS sockets?

I was charging at Flint Mountain in Wales earlier and there was a pre facelift Model S beside me not plugged in. Noticed the superchargers only had CCS, I thought they have both CCS and Tesla/NACS here because the older cars didn't have CCS

I noticed a few minutes later they'd plugged in so I'm guessing the car had CCS or an adaptor of some description

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They have a CCS adaptor. Can pull about 135kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And not only that, my old Model S could charge at every single fast chargers in the country:

22kW from a 22kW / 43kW AC charger

45kW from CHAdeMO (with €99 adapter bought from Tesla)

135kW from CCS (after CCS upgrade from Tesla costing €291)

135kW from any Tesla Supercharger

My current Model S is the same except only 11kW on AC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The Tesla's here never had the NACS connector. They used a modified version of the type 2 to do the super charging,

And as others said there was a CCS upgrade available for them internally, and also an physical adapter to allow the CCS to plug in

I think this one must have had the CCS socket upgrade since I didn't see an adapter

Bit of a side topic but I checked out a new Osprey charging location along the A55 yesterday because for some reason I didn't want to go to Flint Mountain

Osprey must have been getting desperate for locations because they put a dozen 300kW Kempower units behind a proper greasy spoon truck stop diner called Billy Jean's Cafe.

The car park isn't even tarmaced, no lights or bathrooms or any of that modern garbage 😂

I wouldn't have minded checking out the diner but unfortunately it closes at 2pm. Hopefully it opens for longer on the back of more cars stopping to charge

82p/kWh as well, you could fund a decent drugs habit for that money. Needless to say I decided to use the superchargers today for some more convenience

https://www.plugshare.com/location/590696

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can't get a socket upgrade. It’s an adaptor.

Advertisement