Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you prepped?

• 18-07-2024 6:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭

The mention of Covid in the news this week reminded me how not so long ago we were all thrown into the deep end and given a taste of prepper life. I realised I've gathered a quantity of items (and skills) that would suffice in an emergency scenario if it were to happen again in the near future.

I've changed some habits like how I shop and the kinds of items I purchase to ensure there's always long life items in the cupboard and have a semi decent pantry of things that will not only last on the shelf but developed skills to make even those boring kinds of foods tasty. Of course I learned how to make my own sourdough starter :) I tend to buy more items in bulk and have never run out of loo roll since.

I started growing my own vegetables and learned how to garden over the last couple of years. I still have some veg seeds packs although maybe not the best freshness but like Matt Damon, if there's a spud in the cupboard I'd be able to farm a crop in any event. It took me three years to master tomatoes but it was worth it.

I've acquired random items like a camping gas stove, with a couple of spare canisters. Oil lamps and sundries for lighting and plenty of jigsaws and books for keeping myself entertained. I became more frugal with energy use and reverted to buying solid fuel to subsidise central heating, having an open fire/stove provides more kinds of warmth and comfort than just heating.

I still have a couple of 5l drums of bottled water that never got used and a stash of toiletries like hand soap and toothpaste that would last years if it came to it so I feel like I'm better prepared if the sh't hits the fan and there's a run on grocery items and being cooped up safely indoors for a period.

(I've also acquired an axe and some dangerous looking gardening tools that could be used as defensive weapons, not that I'd probably be able to wield them with any great success but at least I have them)

and of course, I got used to be away from family and loved ones and have adapted psychologically to the absence of close knit community.

Would you fare better now knowing what you've already been through and are you ready if it happened again?

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,423 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It was Covid lockdowns, not armageddon!

I didn't need an axe, nor need to know to get a crop of potatoes from one in the cupboard, nor to grow my own veg, nor to have a lifetime supply of personal care items etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Mad Max eat your heart out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Allinall

I’ve a credit card with a large limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

I upskilled and developed a lot of new ways of doing things. I learned how to build stuff, I designed and engineered garden buildings in my downtime and built them by myself. It was a good way to keep myself occupied. It turned out that I loved gardening and it's become a passion since then although I don't garden vegetables now and just leave it to the flowers. (The ground is limited in it's nutrients too so having a break has been good for it)

I adapted ways of occupying myself that didn't involve other people generally or modern technology, like cooking and baking and caught up on a lot of books that I'd put off for years. I find I don't mind my own company and prefer having time do enjoy my own interests.

I'm a novid, I never got Covid but I remember how affected everyone else was by it. All the same it's nice to be able to look back and see how much you've gained from the experience.

edit: being without any kind of social media apps was generally beneficial throughout that time and I haven't been affected by a lot of stuff that's going on in the world in comparison to most of my peers. I feel I've come out of it better psychologically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you do want to keep a store of stuff you need to constantly replace-and-use, that is buy new stuff and use up the old stuff before it goes out of date. Similarly for OTC medicines - and if you don't use them regularly; that becomes replace-and-bin.

Long term storage of water in 5L bottles is not advisable; if they're particularly old they're already undrinkable. You need a sturdier product for long-term storage and even then, its not a great idea.

The only odder thing I've done is make sure I have the LPG jets for my gas hob (its on natural gas now, but the jets swap over with a 7mm socket); plus a regulator to allow it to go on to a normal tank. I imagine obtaining those tanks in some crisis situation will still be impossible - but there is a potential scenario of a long term outage to natural gas supplies due to damage or parts shortages while Calor tanks are still available.

I know I'm pedantic but I have a list of items and their shelf life ie: https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/long-term-food-storage-staples-that-last-forever/

Most tinned stuff is good for 5-10 years and dried food like chickpeas and rice is 10+ years Water Jugs apx 2 years but I used go through a six pack of 1.5l water bottles a week at one stage so it would get rotated on the regular.

I'd have a fairly good idea of what's in store and generally buying bulk means I'd have a supply of at least two weeks minimum if there was a rush on getting stuff in.

You probably wouldn't meet me on a night out, I don't drink or smoke or take drugs so yeah, not someone for keeping you entertained I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Are you prepping for another pandemic or world war 3? Way over the top. We managed just fine last time without resorting to extreme self sufficiency measures.

• Advertisement

I'm not prepping, I was remembering and recognising how I have changed habits as a result of the pandemic. Yeah, we managed just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I'm hoarding all the tin openers.

I had to split firewood 😅

I remember going to screwfix and buying an axe, a dust mask and asking if they sold rat poison. (they don't just btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I have some news for you .

These have been around for a little while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're far from reliable. Still need to flip some cans over and open the base.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Covid was a piece of cake. Prepping for short term supply emergencies has become the new normal for where I now live on the California small town Pacific coast. Lightning storms and wild fires sometimes crash the old power grid, as do an occasional earthquake. Plus they have been running community tsunami test alarms that pose a dilemma: get out the surf board, or run for the hills? Ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

That's a very large Moderator category you have there ☺️ but yeah, we have had it easy here in comparison and I'm glad for being in a relatively safe environment. I get why prepping is such a big deal stateside all the same and imagine things are gearing up everything considered. Hope you're keeping safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭Archeron

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Have you thought about moving to Switzerland? You'd be very normal over here! I used to think they were way OTT, but I was persuaded by my Swiss to follow the rules and even acquired a wind up radio! It was not until COVID that I appreciated the lesson they had learned from WW2 and the cold war etc… there was no panic buying etc because everyone knew we could had sufficient reserves to feed 8 million people for at least 6 months and that it was regularly audited and verified, so no worries there.

The only thing I have done and only since the Russians started they war, is I have checked out the nuclear bunker we have been allocated to so I at least know where it is.

I have given serious consideration to a wind up radio! I opted for old school instead of modern tech like I chose a really cool antique oil lamp instead of a torch with a battery bank and even though I've a gas burner, I love the idea of using an open fire or woodstoves for cooking and heating. Must order my swiss watch for keeping the time soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Tork

I wonder have the people who stockpiled loo roll made their way through the backlog (ahem) yet?

They're probably permanently constipated from working their way through all the sliced pans filling their freezer since the beast from the east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,470 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

OP if you think for a second that the people of Ireland would let the government tell them what to do again you're sadly mistaken. What a load of absolute nonsense for two years. People are far smarter now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I’ve built a bunker below my apartment block just in case, and I still have my iodine tablets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I've been prepping for the last 20 years. Learnt a lot in the time, particularly what keeps and what doesn't. Certainly not going to survive a nuclear attack but have a stock of food that will last at least a month and can easily do without power. House heated by wood, gas stove + wood burning range (oven). Water heated by wood burner. Loads of torches, petrol and paraffin lamps (not to be mixed up) and a small solar system (600W) for recharging batteries. Live by a river and have a water filter that will help out if water is cut off. The only thing we'd really miss would be the internet if the power goes but with starlink a UPS and a solar powered top up even that can be kept going.

I can remember explaining to someone I worked for how to run their aga if the power went off. They didn't take any notice and spent a very miserable Christmas one year when the power was off for 2 days. One tiny bit of prepping would have at least kept their massive kitchen warm over Christmas and they'd have been able to cook Christmas dinner.

As far as I'm concerned prepping is to keep you as comfortable as you can be when things go wrong and until "normality" is resumed. Its probably as much a hobby as anything.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement