Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best hobbies for a 30 year old guy to meet single women?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You go hiking with a group. You get to meet the people in the group. You have at least one common interest with everyone in the group. You get to spend time with them, and chat; hiking is a very social activity. You're surrounded by the beauties of nature. There's often a social drink afterwards.

If you can't make a start in those conditions, I'm sorry, but you're a dead loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I would say - make yourself aware of all the hiking and running events around Ireland. And if you meet someone you like on one hike make a point of talking about how much you are looking forward to some upcoming hike and then ask them if they would be interested in coming along too.

I have certainly made friends - not romantic or sexual but the approach is similar - by going to running events and clicking with someone and then arranging with them to meet up at a later running event. I recently ran a marathon in Germany with a guy I met at a half marathon some months back in Sligo!

But a more general answer to the OP - women are everywhere. Just like men are. The best hobby therefore to meet women is going to be 1) Any hobby which has a social element and 2) and hobby you are actually engaged in and motivated by. Showing up to a hobby you are not that into just to meet women likely means you will give off boring vibes because you do not really want to be there - and creepy vibes because of the agenda you are actually there for.

Mentioned it before but the relationship I am in now came about because I was into live music a lot. So I started being the guy who arranged meetup times/spots before live shows and bringing everyone together. Met loads of guys and gals that way including some who are still by best of friends in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Dress up a bear while hiking and they will choose you. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,910 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Becoming a millionaire/billionaire

Worked for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭drury..

Walk into the nearest supermarket and start talking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 orchidkey

It's terrible the way society has gone when trying to meet your lifelong partner.

Were your parents running marthans, doing yoga, Pilates, hill-walking for miles, swiping on a phone, etc when meeting? No, they met in the pub or club while ****-faced or introduced by mutual friends - often in the pub while ****-faced, or at work - often in the pub after work while ****-faced. Few exceptions but the majority were these three scenarios.

It's struck me that out of all the social challenges - climate change, immigration, women's health, the collapse in dating is never discussed. It results in falling birth rates and depression in older single men. Single women seem to manage better.

There's single women out there desperate right now

They will literally just throw themselves at you the dating climate is so tough out there

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

I heard a discussion on the topic on radio last week, might just be someone advertising their services but there's a woman who runs a match making agency because of the problems people have trying to meet people these days. She said people seem to be returning to dating agencies as opposed to dating sites due to the level of psychological harm from ghosting and catphishing and general bs that comes with it. Think it's called Love HQ and she was in the process of organising speed date sessions just in case you want to check that out op.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's not been my experience. My workplace is fairly large and about 80% women. They're either happily single or happily coupled up.

I've tried the apps but it's not worth it. It's like a badly designed game with unclear rules.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

All the women who are not coupled up are happily single

I can guarantee you're mistaken in your belief

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

I'm happily single but I might be an outlier, I just prefer my own company.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

Apps are on the way to destroy social cohesion more so than any immigration crisis or climate change.

You've pubs and clubs closing all over the country while young people are stuck in their bedrooms staring at phones and anxiety rates soar among teenage girls.

I agree apps are not worth it but other options are limited also, especially outside the cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I think only an eejit would use a dating agency these days, it's common knowledge that they are a waste of money, definitely just someone advertising there services. Unfortunately whether it's OD or meetup it's a numbers game where you have to go through a few interactions of no spark before you find that spark with someone. Meetup groups can be a very good way to meet women.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not.

Same here. Dating is not worth the hassle.

Apps aren't destroying anything. Pubs and clubs are closing because they're crap places and we have a cost of living crisis.

The cost of living and inequality are what is destroying social cohesion, if anything but this is beyond the scope of the thread.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

I always found the dating game hell! Thank God I'm married with a couple of kids and hopefully don't have to go through that sh!te for years to come…hopefully not ever.

A couple of anecdotes that highlight some of the problems.

Back in the day I was asking an older colleague before about this girl on the bus that I used to travel to work on. We were regularly 'exchanging glances' as the song goes. He said go for it….but he explained that his younger sister was in the same circumstances once and the guy in that situation did ask her out. She was really attracted to the guy and she was hoping he would make a move. But when he did, she was so shocked that she told him that she had a boyfriend. She could also see in his face that his soul was crushed. And she was kicking herself after. This is the type of thing that happens when people have no bad intentions. As for my situation I just let it go.

Second story: Back just before I emigrated, I was walking my dog late in the evening. I saw four women (my age) walking toward me who I used to hang out with back when I was in my late teens up to mid twenties. I was about 36/37 when this happened. Between me and the four women was another guy also walking in the same direction as me. The women were like the opening credits from "sex and the city" the way they carried themselves (nothing wrong with that). Obviously dressed up and going out for a drink. The guy was about 45/50 and I knew him to see him. A very average Joe, not one of life's winners. Like a character William H. Macy plays.He even looked like William H. Macy. Anyway all he says to them is when he passed them is…"goodnight ladies". And for that they just shot him down like he was sh!t on their shoe.I thought "Wow,the same four b!tches they were when they were 17!" This is the type of thing that also frequently happens. The irony is they were in reality no better than him and will probably end up settling for someone like him.

Scott Galloway has some interesting opinions on this based on research.The Apps are a disaster and facilitate the delusions of young men and women. The main beneficiaries are only top tier maybe even predatory men.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭md23040

Buy a cute miniature dog and go out walking, it seriously attracts any passersby like bees to honey. If you have two that’s nirvana.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

It's hard to believe it's just over two years until the twentieth anniversary of the beginnings of the financial crash. I got badly burned in that fiasco and it is ultimately why I had to leave Ireland. But here is an image from back then. I am living in a three bedroom end of terrace house as a single man, one year into a forty year mortgage. There is only one married couple who were about to have their first child. Every other house were bachelors and bachelorettes (ratio 6:2 in favor of bachelors). .Single people living in houses built for families. I believe what all of us were actually doing was building nests for our future families that may or may not come. I think most of these houses are being rented out now. This I believe encapsulates the imbalances that have emerged in the last thirty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Hold My Hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭BrianD3

IME there are very few good hobbies to meet women. Men and women are interested in different things. Result is that any hobby that a man would be interested in will likely be a sausage fest. And if you take up a hobby to meet women, not because you are interested in the hobby, your boredom, lack of interest and desperation will stick out like a sore thumb. Also a man who takes up a "woman's hobby" will likely be perceived as unmasculine.

Re: hillwalking etc. why would a woman spend hours at that to meet men when she can sit at home and have 100 dates from Tinder with a few minutes effort. Does anyone seriously think that the likes of single mothers are going to be bothered with or able to partake in a hobby that requires them to be out of the house for hours.

If a woman does have a hobby, it's often because her husband got her into it. I saw this all the time in the golf club - not a chance of meeting a single 30 something woman there. If you were lucky you might meet a 60 something divorcee/widow or a younger married woman looking for an affair. There were some affairs in the golf club but if you were under 6 foot 2 and worse than a 5 handicap, forget it.

Even asking the question "best hobbies to meet women" indicates that you are already on the back foot. Such questions don't enter the heads of men who do well with women. You'd be better off forgetting about hobbies and getting a weekend job as a bouncer or barman.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Go to a speed dating event. Enjoyable night out regardless of matches. Bringing a pal with you will make it easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,901 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I hope nobody takes this at face value. Women only have hobbies thanks to their husbands??? 🤣

A tennis club is a great one for both genders to meet as it’s often 50/50 numbers wise and plenty of singles - depending on the club. Mountpleasant in Dublin for example has a social membership where you don’t even have to play tennis you just go on the nights out / trips.

I took a drawing class for a few years and its was 50/50 men and women.

I’ve never taken a dance class - like salsa or whatever but I always hear it’s majority women and they are crying out for men to join, but take it seriously and not just go to hit on every woman present or that will be obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There are some frankly weird attitudes on display in this thread.

Equally, women have stopped going out to pubs. Why put in the effort dressing up and putting on make up when it's far easier to pickup the phone and get some sap to go out with you for a few dates, ditch him and repeat.

There's a separate thread here where all this is played out.

Post edited by orchidkey on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

gym, volunteer at an animal shelter, a wine tasting group, book club, or a zumba class…. i think you can meet women amywhere (supermarket) you just have to be confident and strike up a conversation, so id say its more confidence over setting.

Most women pay their own way these days! And if you’re going on multiple dates with somebody and she hasn’t opened her wallet and you’ve accepted it and ploughed on anyway even if unhappy, then it’s on you.

Edited my post, that's not what I meant.

I mean to have someone join you for dinner/walk in the park/whatever.

It’s probably an age thing - I was talking to a colleague in her twenties and she was saying she didn’t use apps nor most of her friends. I think when it comes to over 35s, they often use apps because they have limited means of meeting people, not because they think apps are amazing. Their girlfriends are often settled down with partners and kids and so they don’t have the same opportunities to just head out. I’ve spoken to a lot of women in this space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,910 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't mean any offence to anyone reading this, but I think that the apps can prolong a certain component of "unrealisiticism" . By that I mean that when in their 20's, many (especially girls) are inundated with attention from all angles. That will drop off as they hit their 30s. That's natural - because focus has shifted to those now in their 20's. Some have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that they are no longer in the top x% of the population in terms of attractiveness. Others mature and grow out of it though too.

The thing about the apps is that the communication is cheap. I mean in terms of effort. So it is very easy to get messages. So the attention continues for a while on there. I think it ultimately harms those people because they reject potential good matches for shorter term fun. Which of course they are entitled to do. Everyone has to live their own lives the way they want to live it. But it is unfortunate then if someone hits their late 30's or 40's and realise that type of attention is not actually what they wanted … but at the same time the "good" attention or interest might have diminished.

I'd say that we all know (particularly) women who would have had their pick of potential partners in their younger days, but have now ended up in their late 30's or early 40's with the clock ticking and moaning that they can't find any suitable men.

The above obviously does not apply to everyone. And the point is more on the use of apps which prolong situations and delay decisions and realisations. Many are probably happier and better off to be on their own too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

• Advertisement

I’d say that applies to a minority of women and not the majority to be fair. I can’t comment from personal experience because the apps weren’t around when I was in my 20s, or at least not widely used and not by me.
    I have a good friend who is single because she sort of gave up her 20s and 30s to care for her sick mother. I really do think it’s a smaller number of women who are single and not by choice in their 30s and 40s because they are too up themselves. Those women exist - but it’s not mainstream.

Advertisement