Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2024 Transfer Window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Bit early but flagging a 2028 transfer here! The "wonderkid" Cavan Sullivan, of Irish descent, but too far back to be claimed, 😞 became the youngest ever MLS player overnight, at the tender age of 14 years and 293 days. His contract with the Philadelphia Union has a clause stating that he will sign for Man City once he turns 18!

English law prevents him coming over before that, but apparently he could play for one of City's "sister clubs" in Europe when he turns 16. That list is Girona, Lommel (Bel.), Palermo, and Troyes.

Just saw that the player he replaced as the youngest ever in MLS was Freddy Adu, a guy who despite playing almost 90 games across his first 3 seasons, ended up playing less than 250 games, in total, across a 17 year career!! Caveat emptor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Freddie Adu was the first player that came to mind when I read about him this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Oh god, if Casemiro is in the middle of the park for UTD next season, it will be a long one for UTD fans. I can only see him in Saudi or the likes next season to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I don't care how good he is, there is no way on earth a 14 yr old kid should be playing professional adult football.

There are more serious abuses that can be put onto children of course, but this is still in my view child abuse in a manner of speaking, certainly exploitative and more than likely damaging. 14 year old kids are not ready physically, intellectually, mentally, or emotional ready for it.

It's plain wrong, and FIFA should ban it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm surprised there isn't a rule against it to he honest. I believe in the PL you have to be 16 - years ago Fergie wanted to put Darren Fletcher on the bench but he was too young, according to the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

didnt arsenal have a 15 year old make his debut last season? I agree rule should be 16 maybe even 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Total spend on new players for PL clubs so far this transfer window.

All amounts taken from transfermarkt, not sure why they only have Savio's initial transfer fee included and Yoro's full potential fee included though. There may be more like that but they usually update it when more reliable reports are released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats just standard. Can't not have United glued to the top at every opportunity.

That pesky independent German based website, always out to get Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

No conspiracy thats just always how Uniteds finances are reported. Always every single bonus/clause rolled in to maximise the financial outlay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Lauras Law

The British media have done that too in the past. Remember this image that was going around on social media a few season ago highlighting how when the BBC report on transfers for other clubs they report the initial transfer fee, but when it's Man Utd all potential add-ons are included in the reported fee.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Wonder what the net looks like. Villa (for example) spent a lot but also got a lot back from clubs they spent a lot with - Everton, Juve and Chelsea.

TBH the net spend is a bit hard to do, overall, as transfermarkt views u18 & u21 teams as a separate clubs and as a result it can be hard to track all fees received by every club for their younger players. So for example Liam Delap being sold to Ipswich counts as a fee receivable for Man City u21, and not Man City. I'm not sure what it is but there has to be some logic to it such as the player not being part of the first team, or age, or something like that.

So in the interest of fairness & time, this is currently what is listed on their main site for the senior squads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Thank you, I was asking more as thought than thinking you would find it!

What made me ask was seeing how much Villa had spent and then Chelsea (apart from Dewsbury Hall and Tosin who was free) but I couldn't think of any major signing to account for it.

The way things are going they will need to start a PSR table!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Another one in the door for United tomorrow?

According to Transfermarket it was €550m before Yoro and now Urgate. That's some backing for ETH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm finding the INEOS hype a bit weird. United haven't been strangers to big spending and looking good in July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Eh…. what?

In previous summer we'd still be bidding for Branthwaite at this stage, eventually paying what Everton wanted at the start in August sometime and woudln't have moved a single player out the door as we were only able to work on 1 deal at a time it seemed..

If you see no difference that is fair enough but you can't be looking very hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You had plenty of 'good' summers in the previous regime too. One summer you signed Varane, Sancho & Ronaldo (who had scored 36 goals the previous season). Awful in hindsight but very well received at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

Last season you announced the signing of Mount on July 5th and Onana on 20 July. Let's not go crazy and completely rewrite history here.

Last season started as one of the better summers alright.

In a lot of years, buying players hasn't really been the issue (there was that one summer with just Fred and Grant…).

Buying the right players has been the issue, and selling the players no longer in the plans (so we can then replace them).

So far, we can't make a call on INEOS either way to be honest. If the charge is Glazers also did good summers like Sancho, Varane, Ronaldo… then INEOS can only be judged in a couple of seasons when we see how the signigns panned out. I think all 3 of those Glazer signigns we arguably right signings - especially Varane and Sancho. They just didn't work out. Yoro could be a flop, Zirkzee could be a flop. any signing could be.

Whether we can say ineos are better now would depend on whether we think INEOS decisoin making process is better, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Sancho was a 2 year saga.

Ronaldo signed on the 31st August.

I think getting the deals done early can only be seen as a positive. The prices might not be hugely different, but the age profiles and wages certainly are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Definitely. The company are no longer running the show either as you would think that with the length of time they have been on gardening leave that these signings would have been Ashworth and Berrada approved by hook or by crook. Owners are not the ones who are responsible now so everything being put on INEOs is a bit misguided imo. They are just money men.

TBF Man Utd still paid double what the only other club bidding for Yoro offered, which is very much 2014-2023 Man Utd.

But I do agree with you on the working on multiple deals at once point.

INEOS are just money men?

Like kinda? I guess.

I would think the issue is INEOS hired (football person) Berrada vs (banker) Woodword and (banker/commercials) Arnold, to be CEO. Hired experienced professional Ashworth to be Sporting Director vs Joel Glazer and internal promotion appointment Murtought. Hired experienced professional Wilcox to be technical director vs no one (Fletcher had the title, but no actual role).

And then they are letting (it appears) those people do their jobs - vs what the Glazers had where everything ran up through Joel to make the final call.

I would think when people are praising INEOS for the moves being made, they are praising the structure they have put in place in terms of people and decisions - rather than think Ratcliffe is responsible for signing Yoro. No longer waiting for Joel to wake up and check his emails after his morning walk.

Double what was rejected out of hand to be fair, double what was widely reported to be a lowball offer cause Madrid felt it was 'sell him to us cheap or we get him for free'.

I do think United bid more than good value even with that caveat, but I also think Unted had to - because if it became a 'fair' fight vs almost any other intesested club we probably lose. We certainly couldn't let his contract run down, cause Madrid would have got him on a free if it came to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I suppose you can dress it up to make it look however you want but INEOS are only in control for about 5 months and in that time we have seen a lot of positive news IMO

We have seen some higher earners who weren't on the pitch often enough moved on - This may or may not have happened anyway under the previous setup.
    We have seen the sale of Greenwood with good terms for the club - I highly doubt Ed or his disciples would have got this deal done in such a favourable way for the club financially
    We have seen early plans in place for renovation / building a new stadium

We have seen 2 highly-rated players be brought into the club in 2 areas that are badly needed in a timely fashion and without a transfer saga.

It's early days but it's a far more positive outlook around the club than there was 1/2 years ago.
    This window also wouldn't be a good one if there weren't further ins and outs from here but I have watched the club struggle through transfer windows before tso I know this a good START and with the changes made to the background it's easy to understand the optimism.

We aren't chasing a FDJ for 2 months and then as a result not making moves on other positions because we are only focused on that one particular player.
    This summer we identified Branthwaite - but couldn't agree on a fee. So, have signed another CB instead, and made good progress on a 3rd CB.
    We have never in recent years identified a weak spot in the squad and then identified multiple solutions to that problem and moved on them.

A lot of our bigger name signings were players who became available and were obviously offered to Utd as their agents knew they would get big wages and get to stay at a big club in a strong league - see Ronaldo, Varane and Casemiro.

All 3 I was delighted to sign - but I am a fan. I am allowed to get sucked in by the idea of bringing in those players.
    It's up to those working at the club to be better than fans and recognise that these signings may not have the best interest of the club long term.

The profile of players we are going after looks to be different. Most fans did not have Yoro or Zirkzee on their list for the summer but the deals do look good and time will tell if they are.

If you want to look at it on the surface and say it's not all that different then that's grand. But you have to ignore an awful lot of other stuff to come to that conclusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yeah but I mean the axe doesn't fall on the owners. It falls on the football people. I guess that was the problem with Woodward and Arnold trying to do all of the football related things from the CEO position, blurring the lines between owners/executives and a working football department.

It will be Ashworth, Ten Hag and Berrada judged mostly by what happens on the pitch. The fact that there is that extra separation between them and the owners is a positive thing and that's good but nobody from INEOs is (hopefully) going to be involved in anything other than the hiring of the people in Berrada or Ashworth's job if it comes to it and therefore individual transfers are not really something to judge them on.

Yeah, I've no idea how involved Ratcliffe, Blanc or Brailsford are at the execution of plans. I know they were all part of the planning meeting for the summer that was done in May. But that could be just approving budgets and general plans - no idea if they are having a say in whether to go back in for Brantwaite or go for De Ligt for eg.

In the main, my criticism of Glazers were two main reasons.
    1. Hiring the wrong people.
    2. Not caring the wrong people were doing a crap job.

IMO, Ineos have hired the right people. Point number 2 for them can only be judged in time (but they are off to a bad start keeping Eth!!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tap in merchant is back with "man was playing at Euros, went on holidays and is now back to work shocker" 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So long as it's not eth saying I want this player, but saying I want this type of players I'm okay with backing him.

However, he needs to have a bit of a revision of whatever the **** his "philosophy" is supposed to be, because he is and has been generally shite at in game management when his plan a hasn't worked.

He's shown adaptability a handful of times, most notably against city in the cup and a few fixtures against them and arsenal in the league when he set up to counter their tactics rather than had them try and play a specific way that every single team had some success in nullifying

Marseille making moves in the market this summer. Greenwood, Hojbjerg done and Nketiah rumoured to be next.

Where are Marseille getting the money from? I thought French club football was meant to be on its arse because of their troubles with TV deals etc. It's not like they are playing European football this season either.

56 million in sales this summer by them with Vitinha, Guendouzi, Auba amongst them. Everton bought their centre forward Ndiaye too. If they sign Nketiah too they'll only have a net spend of around 35 mill I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Looking like De Bruyne could be off to Saudi Arabia

Rumours Ederson wants to go as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they all gave it one more year if Pep is staying for the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

League 1 signed a new TV deal last week with DAZN and BeIN last week for €500m a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Joe Biden is a free agent from January.

Didnt realise they had signed but I knew they were struggled to find a TV deal. Upon looking at it, its below their target level and is much lower than their previous €815m a year deal.

The PL is around €2b per year iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It was about half of what they were looking for apparently so not exactly a massive deal for them but they have something.

• Advertisement

I see Chelsea have left Chalohah out of the US tour. Could be the next youth team player to be sold to fund those 8 year contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Pep also said he'd quit if he had any inclination that Man City were cheating. Pep says a lot of things

Very risky signing for Fulham given his injury record but a great price for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Crazy they'll pay that much for an injury ravaged player but are low balling for McTominay.

Mad to think it's only equalling Arsenals record sale too which I think was Ox to Pool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Jake O’Brien to join Everton for €20m from Lyon. Branthwaite’s replacement or CB partner?

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cork city to pocket €300k if the move happens, according to the Indo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Third choice behind tarkowski and Braithwaite with a view to being ready to replace Braithwaite next summer

• Advertisement
Advertisement