Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

The ferry is so much fun. It's very relaxing. Kids love it. Parents love it.

It's a big part of the holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I love the ferry but if I'm taking a 16 day holiday, spending 4 of those days on a boat and a cumulative day of driving seems excessive for a bit of good weather as opposed to 2 days on a boat and 1 cumulative day of driving. I'd rather fly but I do love being able to bring loads of "stuff" such as BBQ gear, cooking ingredients etc

As a curveball though, Bilbao would definitely be an option for me if I could take a three week holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 39 idontknowdoyou

Yes I'd recommend it (we did Pin Paraso 3 years ago and les brunelles last year) but I'd never return there it's grand but we've been blown away by La Palmyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Its been a while since I was in Palmyre. It was densely filled with Irish and English. Is it still the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭blackwhite

If going as far as La Rochelle, then Ile de Re really is a can’t miss also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Yes of course, forgot about Ile de Re. We took a spin across the bridge but not too far beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭blackwhite

We did Ile de Re in summer 2021, when prices were down a bit due to Covid.

St Martin de Re is a beautiful town to visit, and if you’ve the time to take bikes around the island for a day it’s well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Because we would still have a 5/6 hour drive after the Bilbao arrival, the Cherbourg one night route just appeals more, I suppose.

Not this year anyway. We were in the market the other day and it was all seemingly French people, as is our campsite. That could change next weekend though when the English schools close.

• Advertisement

First time sailing from Cork tomorrow, normally go from Dublin. Any suggestions on places near the port to get something to eat, even a deli for a roll. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Peckham

The Bosun in Monkstown. Only 10 minutes from the port. Really good food, especially seafood.

You can even see the ferry from it!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/WQS9tdypeD74QndRA

No very little English here and a few Irish. Mainly French

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

There are a good few places just where the ferry port is loverly little cafe Perry Street and there is a shop there

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

In case others might be in the same position, we just packed our stuff for going away in vacuum bags instead of cases. Hard to guess how much space we are saving but I'd say easily reduced by over half. Never thought about using them before when packing to go away.

I was just about to order roof bars & a box but didn't want the extra cost just before the holiday. I had bought a roof bag off amazon but returned it because I didn't like it. It had straps going through the car & it would have been right at my head which would be really annoying if not unsafe.

What the hell is the advantage of the food pass? You're paying €48 to get €48 worth of food. Like just pay for it at the time.

Or am I missing something very obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danfrancisco83

How do vacuum bags work on the way back? Are there hoovers in the cabins?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Some do. The couriers usually have access to one or get to know a neighbour when you hear them hoovering 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

The bags came with a little pump so no vacuum needed, amazon basic bags. I was sceptical that the pump would work but its done the job.

Probably reduced 5 cases down to ~2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Bilbao only 2 hrs from excellent campsites in Biarritz area

Congrats to the idiots who burnt out the motor on the microwave in the seating area on the Galicia on Thursday.

• Advertisement

I actually got an amazon delivery to the campsite for vacuum bags last week to the campsite as I knew space would be tight and I only brought 1 over. 3 years ago in Pin Parasol we borrowed hoover from eurocamps rep. And last 2 years we had hoover in cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Or you could bring the hoover with you now with all the extra space you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

Off to La Rive in two weeks. Can anybody advise on the Telephone network.

There Is an option to purchase the wi-fi for the site, but I have good roaming and wondering if I need it?

Also I keep on getting notification about my own inventory needs to be completed, is this a requirement?

Any bakery recommendations?

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

any advice on where to see the all ireland in St jean des mont tomo?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Should be on in Clarys Plage bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

A tip for anyone querying the weather, put in towns in locations that you are thinking of going to in your weather app, i.e, in Brittany, Vendee etc. You can compare this summer’s weather and it’ll give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

We did our first trip to France this year, Irish Ferries Dublin to Cherbourg and a week in Domaine Des Ormes with a 7 and 4yo

I'd definitely recommend it as a "starter" holiday. We deliberately didn't want to get into a long drive across France for the first go because we were worried we'd be put off by it

I'm happy to say everything went well and we're now thinking of where to go next year

We went in early June and the weather was fine. Wasn't sunbathing weather, but warm enough to sit out on the deck enjoying the wine while the kids played in the sunshine

It was actually the perfect temperature for us because the kids didn't get overheated. We were camping in Wales last week and even there the tent got too hot and the kids were suffering

The ferry was grand, plenty of entertainment for the kids. Main complaint is the price of food, I guess UF figured out they've a captive audience. We also had a bad night's sleep both ways, but then again me and the missus are very light sleepers anyway

The diving is a lot easier than I thought it would be, my wife was kind of coaching me at the roundabouts which helped

Also I'd recommend trying to leave a few spare days either side of your holiday if possible. We got caught with "le strike" in the port and would you extending our holiday by 2 days (oh no 😎😂)

We were lucky that we had time to spare, but it is one of those realities off France you need to be aware of

Post edited by the_amazing_raisin at

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

After doing 2 weeks in France earlier this summer, I'm just after rebooking for next year.

This year was our first time camping, and took the ferry from Cork. It lived up to all my expectations.

This year, we stayed in Le Littoral for the entire trip. Next year, we are splitting it across two campsites.

Our main reasons for doing this, is that I felt by day 11 or 12, the kids were getting a tiny bit bored of the repetitiveness. It was basically the same mini disco every night, and they had had their fill of the slides by the end.

Also, the second campsite is about 45minutes further north than Le Littoral. Weather might be a tiny bit cooler, but it's a little closer to Roscoff.

Also, I found Le Littoral brilliant for young kids (younger than 9), but there were groups of teenagers, who seemed a little bored, and getting restless. My kids wont be young forever, so happy to see what other campsites offer for when the kids get older

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Peckham

We've done similar a few times - including at Le Littoral. One thing to factor in is that in splitting it up over 2 weeks you have to pack up the car and roofbox and unpack it again when changing sites. Can be a drag if you've brought too much stuff, which we typically do!

But I agree with your rationale.

• Advertisement

We brought two bikes with us this year for the first time but will definitely bring four with us next year. There's loads of cycle paths around La Palmyre which opens up the possibility of cycling day trips which definitely eat up the time (and also wear them out!).

Advertisement