Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group patrolling the town

• 18-07-2024 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

A protest group against migrants say they will start patrolling the town because of, they claim, migrants following people.

Can anyone set up a patrol? . Isn't that the Gardai job? They don't say what they will do if they see people being followed.

I am curious, not seeking advice, no connection with the protesters

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Could be just a walking club

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,743 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Concerned citizens patrolling a town is surely a good thing -

will up the vigilance levels and maybe get the ngardeee shickaloney to up their game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭10-10-20

So are they just going to follow the migrants instead? Isn't that just called intimidation, stalking or racial profiling?

Anyway, they can do what they like as a "walking club", but if it bleeds over to being a vigilante group then it's going to be dealt with differently by the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,092 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Anyone can walk around public areas.

Anything else depends on what they do/are planning to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Woodcutting

I don't know. They didn't say what they would do if they saw migrants following people. I don't know even if the migrants are following people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭JVince

"Concerned citizens"

In the main, these are violent thugs with little education, mostly unemployed and almost always in social housing costing taxpayers tens of thousands every year.

They contribute absolutely nothing to society and think violence is the answer to everything.

I reality, they are just stupid thugs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,846 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

those concerned citizens at least do have a track record of patrolling towns to prevent women being harrassed by irish men too.

at least, they must have. it's only logical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭con747

Thank god for the ignore option with the high horse brigade.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,103 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

People used to do this years back to get drug pushers out of areas. I remember guys standing around flaming barrels in Oldcourt in Bray back in the day.

At least the drug pushers were actually doing something illegal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Mad if true.

Ah shur, we have international and moral obligations. Who cares if the fabric of society is breaking down so much people feel they have to resort to these type of tactics?

They feel wrong.

No one wants or need 'vigilantes ' deciding if d foreigners are breaking laws and doling out justice themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I think you need to start with the question:

“What is a “patrol”?

Then take it from there - walking around your neighbourhood is not against the law- you could organise a 24/7 “walk around your neighbourhood” club and it wouldn’t be illegal in any way - you could call it a “patrol” and it wouldn’t be illegal either.

But start to outline or enact whilst on patrol the behaviours required of this patrol - depending on what those behaviours are , they could be illegal or lead to a criminal arrest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭donegal_man

How exactly do they define "migrants following people"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Exactly. If a "migrant" is walking home from the shop and there's Irish people who happen to be walking the same direction in front of him/her does that constitute "following" them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

don’t you need a tax clearance certificate and a Garda reference to join a vigilante group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

In the last couple of years there's been a lady knifed to death, a man run over by joyriders and killed, a tourist beaten into a coma, a tourist attacked with a machete, constant drug dealing, all within 20 mins walk of where I live now but the concerned locals only came out to protest and demand action when some foreigners were being moved into a disused building. Funny that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭Ceepo

"We ve decided to start a community patrol in (area) . Theres been too many incidents regarding people been followed. We are looking to you as a mother,father,grandmother, grandfather, uncle, aunty to help us form a group and patrol the streets at different times and days. We will do a rota. So if interested in serving your community and helping to keep our families safe please pm us 👨‍👩‍👧‍👧 We asked other groups and it seems we need to register as a neighbourhood watch group with our local garda station so they can give us information and assign a member of the Gardaí to us if ever we needed assistance 💚. "

This is what was posted on at least one FB page.

From reading it. It doesn't sound like a walking group to me, considering it was posted on a" concerned citizens " page!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Wouldn't being a vigilante leave you unable to look for work and you'd lose your dole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,743 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I for one would join that patrol in my locality if it was set up and also it would be great to have a squad car accompanying us to give a sense of safety and make the ppl up to no good realise the patrol is vigilant to them.

• Advertisement

Lol!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

You think a patrol car would join a group of vigilantes?? You are living on a different planet.

It's not up to vigilantes to decide law and punishment, and Gardai certainly don't appreciate groups of them causing trouble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,846 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

A friend has shared with us some screenshots from his local neighborhood watch group and it's hilarious how paranoid people get. I suspect they're the sort of people who'd join foot patrols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭bigroad

Its not a new thing,plenty of neighborhood watch group's around the country.

Most of them were created to stop our own homegrown scum from attacking old people in rural areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Christ almighty. It's not a huge jump between a community foot patrol and perhaps a more thuggish element carrying out Northern Ireland style punishment beatings against alleged offenders.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,994 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Join the Garda Reserve if you want. Is it still a thing?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

https://www.thejournal.ie/man-confronted-monasterevin-3414544-May2017/

This is why we can't have vigilante rule (amongst thousands of other reasons).

While I wouldn't have a problem in principle with a legitimate community watch type group. I suspect many of these "concerned citizens" are possibly of the type who start battering a random foreign looking fella and then decide to start screaming "he tried to take a child" for the TikTok video …………

Neighborhood watch, is a good thing.

A 'anti migrant group' set up patrols because ' migrants are following people ' seems to be a very different creature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

oh look I know- I looked up online and found this - citizens patrol is a thing in America- believe it or not it’s a thing in China too where they report other citizens for the simplist thing like littering or bad parking, to the authorities- they’re basically neighbourhood spies - your every movement is reported back to the authorities

I think we know in Ireland, the Gardai don’t like this type of vigilante group which is essentially what they’re doing here and personally I’m not a fan either- they’re the sort of group that would end up lynching a pediatrician.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_patrol

Advertisement