Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Just to add: I'm.begining to see your point of but, but youe still coming from a results point of view.

The problem is, he woukd never have achieved any of this without fascist ideals and THAT'S what your not seeing and that's how he woukd have been remembered regardless - even if he had stopped with Czechoslavakia.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Sponge25

You're the one that asked me to answer all these questions and when I do you accuse me of pushing propaganda. Is it a case of when you can't attack the argument, you attack the person by any chance? As I said before, in order for there to be a serious understanding and discussion of history there can't be any "Hitler was evil and insane so he never did a good deed in his life" type of thing. This enables a form of discussion where the truth can be spoken and Hitlers true nature can be examined.

Even Princess banana hammock has seemingly come around to the fact that I actually do know what I'm talking about. I've studied this period so in depth for so long i'm practically an amateur historian on the period by this point but that's not to say i'm an expert in every area.

What exactly is this argument of mine that you want an actual historian to back up because everything I have said is sourced from actually historians just composed in my own manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Jews have always been a scape goat for a lot of things, the hate didn't come from nowhere. Martin Luther for example had a whole screed about them, of course it all probably goes back to some rabble rousing carpenter. Wasn't Hitler still accusing them of being behind wars even as he was invading Poland?

Eh, no I didn't... I pointed that you were unaware of the influence of fascism and how instrumental it was in his rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Some of the reasons for academy recruitment generally coming from private schools are outlined in the post above.

TLDR: recruitment generally comes from private schools because the schools that focus on rugby tend to be private schools.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Does sport actually need to be representative of society as a whole? Most boxers seem to be working class, maybe we need more wealthy boxers.

It looks like the make-up of competitors in sports seems to have a lot to do with family backgrounds and childhood pathways. Boxing comes from an honour system where a man had to defend his good name, like duelling. The wealthy probably avoided it because they didn’t want their faces to get bashed up. For whatever reason rugby in its early stages was associated with the fee paying schools in Britain. Most early football matches were just kickabouts and so were very popular with street kids who played it in an unorganised manner, so it ended up being associated with the working class. Because golf required large amounts of urban expensive land and was very gentle, it became popular with wealthy old men.
    So it looks like the typical demographic that plays a sport has to do with its history and the way in which you become a participant in the sport.

Some people see this type of thing as walled gardens to be broken into, I don’t. Each to his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭89897

I agree, its a weird take to have to not support a team because you dont relate to them. If that was the case, sport and national sports in particular would be in an odd place.

Post edited by 89897 on

If we took that approach, you'd need to be English to support the Irish team.

Some people just don't enjoy seeing other people happy. They find their reasons, but the reasons aren't the point.

You dislike rugby because of the national team sponsor's slogan? Yeah, right.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Lots of rubbish from a few here.

Rugby is denying talented athletes access to its pyramid to the top. This is happening because you need money to go to private schools.

No other mainstream sport puts a monetary road block in front of young athletes. Anybody can rock up to a boxing club ffs.

But but but Keith Earls! 🙄

I know you're not interested because you haven't engaged with any of the points put to you. This is for the rest of the readers.

Rugby requires basic costs to play which aren't there for more popular sports. Soccer, for example needs a minimum of a ball and a wall for a game. 2 people can play with each other. And all you need is jumpers for goalposts and you can scale it up.

Rugby Isn't a solo game. It needs a few people and some skill and knowledge of the rules. So it needs some organisation to play. That's a barrier. It's not a conspiracy, it's just a barrier. So Rugby isn't as popular and it takes conscious effort and organisation to get a game of rugby going.

Scale that up and you have pockets of people who know and want play rugby where everyone could play soccer. Then at school level you have schools that make the decisions about which sports the prioritise and fund. The private schools tend to prioritise rugby. Still not a conspiracy.

The provinces pick underage teams and naturally prioritise scouting in the places where they focus on rugby - the schools. The scouting follows the players and picks its academy prospects. Still no conspiracy.

So, where is the conspiracy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭89897

That doesnt make sense at all. Anyone can play rugby but only a few will become elite. Anyone can join a boxing club but only a few will become elite, same with any sport. Does that mean because i never became an elite athlete i cant support any of them.

Its been explained to you, private schools arent the gatekeepers of elite rugby players, its what creates them in most cases in this country. Do you have the same pick on F1 or Golf or Sailing or winter sports? If not then your issue isnt that it doesnt represent you, its that you resent it.

Money has been a blocker for all sports time and time again. Ask most of the olympian athletes the toil and work they went through to fund competitions/travel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

As others have stated, money plays a role in access to many sports and activities. While I'm not a massive rugby fan and much prefer football I don't get the need to feel represented by the footballers or see myself in them.

Regardless, anyone can join both a rugby or football team and work their way up hoping to get scouted. Football is a lower class sport and I don't see middle/upper class folk turning their nose down on the sport in the same way some people comment on the likes of rugby, tennis or sailing just because it's more common with the middle/upper.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Society needs to start coming down harder on certain crimes.

Make a death threat? OK, have a think about how smart an idea that was with a few years behind bars!

Climb a motorway and bring a major road to a standstill and stop people getting to work, airports, hospital emergencies. Here, have a handful of years in prison.

We are going to need more prisons, but get them built and start dealing with these people.

... until.your taxes go.up.tp pay for the prisons...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Not having enough prison space is never a valid excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Sponge25

I recall reading about Jews originally having the upperhand in some cities in Asia Minor and being just as cruel against the Christians. There was often running battles between the two, I suppose the sense of animosity never dispersed and got worse over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

From a nation with billions upon billions slushing around in its coffers.

We can find the odd 2 or 3 billon down the back of the sofa at the drop of a hat when Ukrainians start to arrive or some other crisis hits, yet we can't plan to build a couple more big prisons in the country?

It's lack of political will to do it, the money is there.

Personally, I'd rather they put it into.the HSE than use it for jailing hippies .

Or HSE rehab units to deal with drug addiction which drives so much crime in the first place

Widen that to mental health generally. Shocking lack of attention right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It’s ridiculous that we’re not in nato . Barring actually beefing up our military , naval and air corps we should be in it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Rugby was associated with prestigious, fee-paying schools right from its inception because it was invented at Rugby School in Warwickshire and then spread to other public schools.

Rugby School is also famous for having Tom Arnold as one of its headmasters, and it's where "Tom Brown's School Days" (Victorian novel) is set.

That's some good trivia. It would be nice if you were able to engage with any of the posts on the topic relating to the modern day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

There was a great documentary on RTÉ called ‘The Story of Rugby’ that covers the game’s history very well.

It doesn’t shy away from its early, and overt, elitism through its fight against going professional and onto its present day. Well worth watching.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Limerick has a very strong tradition of rugby among the working class

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Like I said, those dogs are not pets, they are pests.

I have set traps for mink (another nuisance pest) on my property so they couldn't hurt my hens. Non-target species are released. I don't release the mink. They die. Are you suggesting I should let them out of the traps alive to wreak havoc? Will I get in trouble with the law for killing a poor innocent mink? I very much doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If you killed an XL bully for just being on your property you would get in trouble with the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Due to persecution, the Jews realised that they needed to organize in groups of their own and support rulers who gave them a fair shout ( hence their unrivalled networking and lobbying ability)

Always a historical explanation for these things,the extreme near tribal cliqueness of Jews didn't arise out of nothing but while it was the only way to prosper, it has led to the distrust often observed

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Terrier2023

hand guns are illegal & will be confiscated but are in society, where do people buy handguns / pistols in ireland today for cash ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,416 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Advertisement