Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

That’s what I had heard. Big loss is it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

He might be right, on reflection talking to a few people outside the county about Kerry's game and a few people saying that we just can't play that type of shite, 30 men in side in a square of ground not much bigger than some people's kitchens but my argument is that we had 3 of the countrys best long range shooters in D Clifford, Sean O Se and Tony Bronson why didn't they go for more scores from outside the 40, we got so tied up with the opposition negativeiy that we forgot about our own game and the talent at our disposal,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭50HX

The % return from long range scores isn't high enough to justify giving away possession via the kick out again

It's the way the game has gone unfortunately, Dublin in their pom rarely shot outside the "sacred D"

Stats stats & more stats

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Whatever about playing a few games in 70s & 80s and winning AIs not having serious games at this stage going against Kerry. Look how Galway have grown in to the championship as summer has progressed after having tight competitive games and learning along the road. Sligo and Mayo had them near beat in Connacht, Armagh grabbed a draw out of defeat up in Markievicz park etc. With the footballers Kerry have they could only learn and improve. Shocking to see 1 team cramping up.

Game reminded me of 2002 AI final with Kerry the superior team in first half and Armagh picking it up in 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭King Power Fox

After the Armagh game what are expectations in Kerry for 2025. Are Kerry coming back towards the pack? Is there a chance Cork could bridge the gap in Munster. John Cleary improved them alot this year. With Dublin in transition I think the next few years are very open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭50HX

Jack will see out his term, if he keeps the same backroom team then I suspect the same result as this year.

It will need fresh blood & a new term in charge for someone else to get us back to the top.

Stay in Div 1, get a tougher group in the round Robin nonsense & luck of the draw after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I still think we've had the strongest panel in Ireland since 2021 but have only 1 AI to show for it in 4 years. Realistically we should've beaten Armagh by 5/6/7 points.

Cork are improving every year. The stronger they are, the better it is for us.

It's difficult to know where Dublin are. They started 9 players over 30 against Galway so definitely need a rebuild. I don't know much about their younger players. They haven't been great underage recently.

Ideally you'd want 6/7/8 teams who are all capable of beating each other and I think we have that now.

Kerry, Dublin, Mayo, Galway and 3 or 4 Ulster teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Expectations the same as every year. Win the all Ireland. The only time I didn't expect that is when dublin were at their height and this kerry team were young. They have the full weight of expectations on them now.

Kerry never pulled away from the pack so won't be coming back towards it. They're just there. Existing among the pack.

I'm not sure Cork will do much. They've been a "coming" team for a few years now and apart from beating Kerry in 2020, don't have much to show for it.

Agree the race for Sam should be wide open for a few years at least which is good for the game in general and hopefully Kerry can pick up 1 or 2 along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Looking at the present Kerry team I say only Clifford would definitely geton the noughties team.

After that Foley woukd be in with a shout at FB, would DOC be ahead of Kirby or Maher I am not sure. Paudie Clifford might squeeze in as a sub on the forwards. Graham O Sullivan is probably unlucky to be up against Marc and Thomas O Se for a spot.

This team lacks a few leaders and a good few of the players lack composure in tight situations. The team.is getting old fast and there is no rattle in there biscuit tin.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Clifford for sure

Tom O’Sullivan and Sean O’Shea would be there or thereabouts vs Young and O’Ceinneide

That 00’s team was a special group and it’s a very high bar in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Tom O Sullivian would be up against the Tom O'Sullivian and threr is a reason he has 5 gongs.

Full forward line Gooch, Donoghy Donnacha Walsh. Half forwards Galvin, Declan O Sullivian, Darren O Sullivian. As well Bryan Sheahan and Mike Frank Russell are knocking about. Clifford squeezes in for Darren no more room at the inn.

MF is Dara O Se and A N Other. Bryan Sheahan played MF a couple times in his hey day he was a definite starter

HB's Thomas O Se, Seamus Moynihan, Aidan OMahoney,

FB line, Marc O Se, Micheal McCarthy, The Tom O Sullivian.

Goalie Diarmuid Murphy V Shane Ryan

Bar Clifford none if the rest are definitely starters. Maybe Foley when McCarthy and Moynihan were at tgmhe end of there careers but Aidan O'Mahoney was taking the FB position then

Graham O'Sullivian is unlucky he is up against the two O'Se's

The big difference between the noughties and the present team is the leaders it was oozing them. Moynihan, McCarthy, Thomas, Dara, Aidan, Declan, Donoghy were all natural leaders in a tight spot.

Slava Ukrainii

If you’re talking about making an all-decade type team yes I agree. Also agree regarding leaders on the field, every line had at least one

What I meant was that if current day Tom O’Sullivan and Seanie were around at any stage during the 00’s they’d have played plenty of football for Kerry, along with Graham and maybe one or two others

That really was such a great period in Kerry football when you list off all the names

How many minors from the 5 in a row made it on the current senior team in the period 21-24. My own team Limerick pulled a good number from the successful u21 all ireland winning teams. When Jack goes would Tomas O Sé give up punditry to manage Kerry?. If Cork has any sense they would give him a role with minors/u20 ( if finished with Kerry u20).

The current team is made up mostly of players from those minor teams, a lot of them came through but there was an understandable expectation in some quarters that the next ‘great’ team was on the way. It doesn’t look like that is going to happen for this group, they are a good team that is at the business end every year though, and will hopefully get over the line again.

U21 / U20 success is a much better predictor of senior success than minor as you would expect

I still think we should be going for 4 in a row this year.

'19 they were still young.

'20 I've erased from my memory.

'21 to '24 I think we'd the best panel in Ireland.

Maybe they're not as good as we think they are or else they seem to have bad luck. They seem to concede poxy goals a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Piskin

Sean o' Shea is greatly overrated as is Tom o' Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭Rosita

I thought the guy who asked if people thought Kerry "would come back to the pack" in 2025 was misguided about where the team stands until I read this.

There is nothing in Kerry's displays in the last few years to remotely imply that they should be going for 4 in a row. There is a far stronger argument that Dublin should be going for 10 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

• Advertisement

I don’t think this team is of that calibre, four in a row? Not a hope. They are a very good team that is always there or thereabouts but they are also quite average in a lot of areas.

Any multi all Ireland winning team doesn’t let soft goals or bad luck derail them.

Don't want to down this rabbit hole but Dublin's record over ten years was seven All Ireland titles, and two one-point defeats to Galway and Kerry and a semi-final defeat after extra time. As plausible and more than a Kerry four in a row. Like I said I don't want go get into this one as the suggestion of a Kerry four in a row was so absurd in the first place. Lots of good players on the Kerry panel but still a long way from one of these exceptional multiple All Ireland winning teams Kerry have been accustomed to producing every couple of decades.

Dublin Were second best in games you mentioned... Galway kerry mayo thoroughly deserved their wins so not sure how you can make out that the dubs have a stronger argument for winning more than they've won..

I was one of the people who upto last sat evening was of the opinion Kerry should be going for 4 in a row... but it looks like the concession of silly goals in 2021 and 2023 and last sat.. goals that you wouldn't see at u12 .. is a trend with this team and not a one off thing or a stroke of bad luck... no way do Kerry deserve to be going for 4 in a row... and they will win very little until they sort that problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The problem is that they aren't good enough and dont have the leadership to respond to setbacks like the concessions of those goals.

Kerry got a lucky goal themselves. They were still ahead of Armagh after the goal. If they were good enough, the game was still there to be won and plenty time to do it.

Same with the Dublin and Tyrone goals.

If you want to be an x in a row winner you have to be good enough to respond to set backs in a game against good teams.

If Kerry win 2 more All Irelands in this decade it would be a superb return for this team, although in 2020 I reckon more than 3 All Irelands would have been expected.

Never said Kerry, Galway or Mayo didnt deserve their wins. Never said that.

Nor did I say that there's a stronger (than what?) argument Dublin should have won more.

What I actually said was that there is as strong an argument that Dublin could've won 10 in a row as Kerry winning 4 in a row (as was suggested). After all they both finished 3 short of the mark.

Similar "what if the goalkeeper hadn't done this" or "what if the forward had scored that", or "they were ahead at half-time or with 10 minutes to go" arguments can be made for both. The craziness of the concept that any team could win 10 in a row should not deflect from the comparison.

But the comment was made largely to highlight the implausibility of the claim about Kerry and not to claim Dublin should've won more. I'm sure Dublin are content enough with their lot.

Post edited by Rosita on

We gifted Dublin a goal and Clifford had a stinker last year. We were the better team for most of the game

This year we were leading against Armagh for 3/4/5 points for most of the game and another poxy goal.

Two terrible goals against Tyrone also, who weren't a great team.

I don't think it's ridiculous to say we should be going for 4 in a row.

We really need to win a few AIs until Dublin rebuild again.

My hope is Clifford lifts the 40th AI.

I think too much pressure is on Clifford. Let him play away as close to goal as possible. Forget about making him captain. It suits a few select players - not necessarily the best players. I think Paudi Clifford should stay captain - he has been consistently good the past 2 years - probably Kerrys best player in that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Ah it is. 4 in a row is a long way from winning 1 All Ireland in 10 years.

You have to be a seriously good team to even win back to back and an exceptional team to do 3 or 4 in a row. This Kerry isn't either of those while being a very decent team and in the leading pack.

Advertisement