Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭cosatron

Leona Maguire sacked her caddy and she won 2 weeks ago but missed the cut at the evian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

That's so disappointing…what an awful double bogey….he just can't be doing that if he wants to win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Musicrules

It's windy this week. His chances of winning are very slim.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Out of contention day one

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jesus terrible double bogey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think he's gotten over the US Open yet. Last week he played well in decent conditions but he missed a lot of short putts and I was thinking after it that it would affect him this week.

I don't know if he has a sports psychologist but if not he should get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Mcilmiss playing to his usual standards. At least he’ll avoid the choker’s label this time out

Mod Edit: Contribute please as this is a trolling/flaming post, tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Rory +5 now, if he can get in +3 or 4 he is still in it. Very windy out there today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Can't see it..think he'll finish at +6 or higher…playing himself out of it. Needs a total reset…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Russman

I dunno, you'd have to feel for the guy. Must be so frustrating to be totally out of it after 13/14 holes of round 1, teeing off tomorrow afternoon probably 10 shots behind the leaders for a meaningless 18 holes, and then 8/9 months of a wait til the Masters rolls round again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭abff

It’s hard to fathom what caused him to produce a round like that. He’s been one of the best golfers in the world for the past several years and it beggars belief that he can produce a round like this in the first round of a major.

It has to be psychological at this stage. I really hope he come overcome whatever mental block seems to affect him on a regular basis when he’s competing for a major. It would be a terrible shame if he ended his career with ‘only’ 4 majors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭OEP

I don't think this round was down to any deep psychological issues - that's just golf, bad rounds can happen! Especially on a tough links course. He played sh*t and that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

There's always next year. He surly can't start that 1st round like he did in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Needs to go back to the beginning and start fresh, new coach,manager,caddie,no fight in him when things start badly,shoot 67 tomorrow and squeeze into the cut but not touch the leader board

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭LetticebCivil

He has made over $10 million this year. He is doing something right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

I think at this stage Rory may need a little more than Bob's 1980's "Believe you can win" 10 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 AlanWatts

I think we could all do with forgetting about Rory for a few days. We have Shane to focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Musicrules

For sure he needs to work on his mental game big time but when the wind was there it was obvious to anyone watching Rory over the years that his chances diminished. He's just not a good wind player. There's no way around that. He can occasionally get by but at a major, he has virtually no chance of winning in the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It’s mentioned enough by commentators, he has a very high ball flight, even compared to other pros.

He can tee down with the driver - but it’s still there with his irons.

Makes playing in the wind more challenging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's well capable of keeping the ball down. I seen him as a kid winning the west of Ireland twice with howling winds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Neither 2005 or 2006 were howling winds.
    Breezy as it always is in Rosses Point, but neither was a noticeably wild year for the West.
    Even back then he was hitting it high compared to most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

I'm a bit new to following golf, I saw last week people criticising the caddie and seems it's a fairly common one. Would anyone have a quick summary of what it's about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

As Rory's friend he isn't strong enough to tell Rory he shouldn't use that club or not to play the shot. He also doesn't help out with reading putts.

A caddy that is not Rory's childhood friend that might be better for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Are people really trying to say that it doesn't windy in Hollywood Northern Ireland

With a straight face

A have a feeling it was McGinley who probably said that, he has a serious chip ón his shoulders for Rory

Post edited by monkeybutter on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Outside of some of the Scottish players perhaps, the Irish golfers must be amongst the most experienced links/wind players in the field. God knows the wind howls on the Ulster coast, don’t think I have ever played a round on one of their links that the wind wasn’t blowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ledwithhedwith

he’s done it before at the open. His brain is made of crisps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The criticism only arrives when he does badly, I’m not convinced.
    Some golfers have full blown conversations with their caddies before every shot, others just want the looper to carry the bag and clean the gear. There is no reason to think that McIlroy would take any advice from another caddy, or even encourage it, he appears to me to be singleminded in his decision making.

Having said that, I remember reading Alex Ferguson’s book and the importance he placed on freshening up his team/staff, even when winning, every couple of years so that impetus was maintained, and new voices heard. Maybe there is something in that.

Advertisement