Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) Files

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭Shoog

Your smugness will prove your undoing.

Without the transphobic agenda driving Tory policy the government will ask the experts in the field and NHS policy will fall into line with what the relevant consultants advise. Since not even Dr Cass advocated a puberty blocker ban you will see this fall quietly when the research projects come on line. This is what I have predicted all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭volchitsa

No actually this is not what you predicted at all: you said they would just declare all planned treatments to be experiments and just go on as before.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Here's a few quotes from people put on puberty blockers who later went on to detransition. It's a horror show and it will all come crashing down very soon when more and more individuals speak out. This is what you are advocating for under the guise of "being kind". I don't know how anyone can justify creating stunted child like adults who will never be able to reach their full potential, physically or mentally

Because of puberty blockers(started before natural Puberty) my penis and testicles never developed the proper growth (they actually shrunk substantially and irreversibly from childlike to full on infant like) yes I want to die just typing out this painful truth. Because I was never exposed to my body’s natural hormones and instead put on synthetic cross sex hormones soon after blockers. When I was 18 and started the process to get a vaginoplasty, I was told that I simply didn’t have the anatomy needed to create a neovagina because my puberty was stopped and I never gave my body the chance to fully grow.

I basically have a micro penis and testicles and do not have enough “material” to do anything reasonable with it. I was told they could give me a neovagina but it would only be aesthetic. I would have effectively ZERO vaginal depth, I’d be lucky if they could even make it look like there was an “entry”. I saw two different surgeons in two different states for a second opinion. One said I could basically have a Barbie vagina, it would look aesthetically pleasing but never be functional. I also have never and will NEVER achieve orgasm.

This is an incredibly HARD and embarrassing and awful thing to explain but it’s the truth and I find it important to tell all the ugly parts

now have to live with the body I destroyed forever. I will never go through my full female puberty. I will never experience my teenage years as a girl and I will forever be harmed by a choice I should NEVER have been allowed to make. I just don't know if I can live with it and it haunts me every waking moment

My transition was different than most in that I was put on hormone blockers when I was very young, right as I started puberty (11?), and then female hormones at age 14.

As you can imagine, for someone on this subreddit, the results are devastating.

I certainly appear different than most men my age. Due to the hormone blockers, I never developed past tanner stage 2. As a younger teen, my body was hairless and I had no sexual desires at all. As an adult now, I'm 5'3". My genitals are extremely underdeveloped, I grew breasts, I wear a men's size 5 shoe, etc...

I've come to terms with the idea of being male itself, and detransitioning, but the problem is doing it while looking the way I do now.

Detransitioning is not the normal outcome and extremely rare. No amount of prompting those rare occurrence will change the reality for the majority.

This has not happened yet because the experiment protocol has not yet been decided. I predicted and continue to predict that when the protocol is decided more people will receive puberty blockers in order to establish a robust statistical analysis.

The prescription of puberty blockers under the NHS is so rare that a robust data set would not be possible otherwise. Also since treatment for transgender children is been expanded more children will be offered membership of the experimental program.

Puberty blockers are the horror story you tell to frighten old ladies.

That's not what the evidence says. Even if it is that rare, how many people affected like that do you think is acceptable? I don't think any. Even if those people didn't detransition, they would still be living with a body that isn't fully functional sexually or physically because of what was done to them. Puberty is essential for your brain and body, it's not something that you have to "consent" to, which is the latest line that I'm seeing being pedalled, but something essential to becoming a functional human adult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

The more I learn about all this, the more distressing it is. So many things don't occur to me until they're explained, and then the implications sink in. For instance, an adult male who has his testicles removed is still left with adult male bones, muscles and organs which need an adult male level of testosterone to function. It's one thing to administer supplements to correct a deficiency in a sick body, quite another to deliberately create that deficiency in a healthy body.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If the BMA _don't_ vote to discredit the Cass report will you accept it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Most of the noise is from a trans activist on the BMA board, who is a former trade unionist and a complete political appointment.

The chairman has a pair of pride braces in his profile photo, so the chances of a non science based decision aren't zero.

Following on from the Cass report with the adults in the room watching including their insurers one would be hopefully of a reasoned decision based on the best scientific evidence available being made.

• Advertisement

@Shoog: Any thoughts on the ethics of all this proposed experimentation? Would only trans kids be included? If you believe puberty blockers are essential, then is it not unethical to deny them to half the subjects? If you believe they are harmful then is it not unethical to administer them to the other half? If you are open to the possibility that the research will show that some children at least will be damaged by these treatments (and if you're not open to all possible outcomes then why research at all, though tbf WPATH have form in that regard), what do you plan to do with those children?

I don't have the answers, I think it needs to be worked out a bit more.

Exactly. And the detrimental effects of high testosterone levels in female bodies are well known. It's not a decision that should be made lightly and certainly not as a child

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭greyday

It is banned, it will quietly be completely shelved to save the monsters that carried out this so called research to begin with, it is known that 80-90% of kids that suffer from gender dysphoria go on to be gay rather than transgender, there can be no justification to give these kids puberty blockers as the experts have stated they cannot tell which kids will go on to be trans.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Shoog asserts something without any evidence at all?

I am shocked I tells ya!

The Cass report has issues and I am sure they will highlight them in their statement.

How about you tell us what the issues are, in a scientific manner?

I have a feeling Shoog is part of a type of trans cult, seems to think she has information that has not been released to the public yet, thankfully since the Cass report the whistleblowers from Tavistock have given others the confidence to speak out, they themselves were vilified for speaking out about what was really happening in that clinic, the genie is out of the bottle and no amount of branding people transphobic will stop those people and others from speaking out again, those doing the branding will be outing themselves for all to see who is behind the horrific experiments carried out on mostly gay children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The very first paragraph of the BBC article says ….. "British Medical Association (BMA) leaders have met to discuss the approach being taken to children and young people struggling with their gender identity."

And there you have it, discussing how to medicalise a "gender identity" which isn't even a provable thing, for there are no blood tests to prove that your gender is anything other than the one you were born with. A gender (identity) is a frame of mind, its a cloak or a dress you put on, a persona that you portray to yourself and others (which is fine, no problem with that), each to their own …..

I don't however agree with giving drugs to physically healthy kids (to block their puberty) as these kids need no medical physical intetvention whatsoever! so I stand with Wes Streeting & Rosie Duffield 100% on this.

Cass must be applied and implemented across the board without question.

The release of the WPATH files and the Cass review are very powerful tools in our fight against a (very powerful) yet non scientific ideology based on feelings and thoughts of identity outside reality.

"My daughter says she feels like a boy", right, give her puberty blockers, then cross sex hormones, then at sixteen a double mastectomy, and you're nearly home!

It's like we're fighting something akin to a sinister religious belief system.

This has been discussed here, your late to the party so go back and read the thread.

• Advertisement

For all those champions of the Cass Report please tell me where she recommended the banning of puberty blockers. Here's a clue she never did, and even clarified here position of supporting them where the clinician considered them necessary. She recommended a detailed clinical trial by the NHS to improve the clinical evidence for their use - which as I said cannot happen if a ban is in place. So in brief Cass is not a supporter of this ban and the BMA is correct to highlight that this is not a clinically sound decision and will harm patients.

That's not how medical research works though. You can't just write off a small number of people permanently harmed like that. The question of consent is crucial.

Sodium valproate given to pregnant women with epilepsy illustrates this. Many women were actually taken off their usual drug when planning a pregnancy because SV was believed to be more effective during pregnancy than some of the other anti epileptics. But it's very hard to run a large-scale ethical trial on this during pregnancy, so this was mainly determined from observational studies. A bit like puberty blockers for GD. And more than 90% of the women taking SV were fine. It may have enabled them to have children safely, given the risks of epileptic seizures during pregnancy.

But still, the small percentage of women whose children were harmed by sodium valproate are now getting massive compensation because the suggestion that harm might be caused was first made some years before that information was put on the information sheets. IOW, the women weren't informed of what was merely a hypothetical risk and anyway there was also a high risk with all the effective alternatives - including the risk of taking nothing. And it's going to be very hard to argue that 14 year olds can consent to permanent consequences as adults that normal puberty just does not entail (unlike the pill, which is far lower risk than its alternative, pregnancy, especially at 14 or 15).

(Not that I expect your certainty to be shaken by anything really, going by your determination to dismiss Cass.)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

Can you please explain how you know it is extremely rare? Tavistock did not do any follow up study on the thousands of children who passed through its doors despite the head of Tavistock acknowledging what they were doing was completely experimental. The only study done in Tavistock was on what happened after puberty blockers were given, 98% of children went onto cross sex hormones. We only know this because a court order was made obliging Tavistock to publish the study for the common good, they did not want to publish the study because it completely obliterated the "pause" to decide narrative.

It's your understanding of what Streeting is doing (or what the word "clinical trial" means) that is at fault here. Streeting is doing exactly what Cass advised: banning PBs except as part of clinical trials. This is also what the previous Tory Health Minister had ordered to be done.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/wes-streeting-puberty-blockers-ban-transgender-b2579918.html

You thought that could be got around by just declaring all new treatments of PBs to be part of a clinical trial, but you are quite simply wrong. There's really not a lot of point in me continuing to tell you this. though.

There have been studies establish that it is less than 1%. No medical intervention comes without risks, but the risk of regret is relatively extremely rare in the field of medicine.

It's a false narrative of the hard right that regret is common.

Until the clinical trial is established there is no way of saying I am wrong. The crime will be is if the clinical trial gets delayed indefinitely as a way to continue the ban by dishonest methods. I am sure you would acknowledge any such thing would be against the Cass recommendations.

There is also the strong possibility that the high court will declare the ban unsound and politically motivated. In such a case the ban will be gone.

• Advertisement

So there's no ban then? What are the trans activists all complaining about?

(Again, you're showing your complete lack of understanding of clinical trials with the nonsense about "delayed indefinitely" and "dishonesty".)

And could you explain why on earth you think Wes Streeting, who only 2 years ago was saying that "trans women are women" would now be delaying what you think are life saving treatments for "dishonest" reasons? What can possibly have changed his mind to that extent - while being "dishonest" rather than simply convinced that he was wrong before?

What studies are those Shoog? Are they reliable? Cass acknowledged some reports indicated a 1% regret rate but said they were dangerously badly researched to the point of being dismissable. Are you talking about one of those reports?

I'm not sure a single post of yours had any real sort of evidence to be honest. You do realise you do your side of the argument more bad than good?

Are the hard right in the room with us right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Enduro

You do realise you do your side of the argument more good than bad?

I'm guessing you meant that in reverse!

Wes Streetly is playing the political wind. He knows that by continuing the ban he plays to people like you - but he also knows that ultimately the treatments will go ahead under the auspices of clinical trials, or in the highly likely case that the ban is declared illegal. He's doing a rather easy bit of grandstanding like a typical politician, an easy win which suits him by not having to take an actual real stand for principle.

• Advertisement

Undoubtedly. Their narrative has been adopted by the transphobes wholesale.

Its really really hard for the right to find enough regretting patients to drum up their hysteria - which is why it has largely fallen flat and gained zero traction outside of the target demographic who needed no convincing anyway.

Cass - who is just a person; this "right" or "left" stuff is puerile and again paints your argument in a pathetic light - found plenty of regretters. In fact, she found that the organisations pushing this mantra actively turned a blind eye to them. In other words, it was really easy to find them, except that certain vested interests didn't want to know.

That, once again, is the polar opposite of what you're claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

Again that is completely untrue can you show me a long term follow up study or even a short term follow up study from Tavistock? One that monitors the outcomes of the patients who attended and were given puberty blockers at a young age? The " far right" Jesus what a ridiculous comment are all the whistleblower doctors far right is professor Donal O Shea far right? Is Hilary Cass far right?

How will they carry out a clinical trial when they can't tell which 10-20% of kids that present with gender dysphoria will go on to be trans?

That fact alone is enough to put a stop to that nonsense as they will be doing harm to the 80-90% of kids that go on to be gay rather than trans.

You don't seem to understand the difference between the BMA and the GMC. You are 100% factually incorrect to assert that the BMA is not a Trade union. The BMA is directly equivalent to SIPTU.

This is what the BMA have to say about themselves on their "About Us" page of their website…

The British Medical Association (BMA) is the trade union and professional body for doctors in the UK.

Couldn't be much clearer than that.

Tavistock - why the fixation on Tavistock. There is a world of other bodies carrying out studies.

The same assessment procedure that has been applied up this time which filtered out 85% of presentations to Tavistock as needing no medical intervention will be applied. You may not accept the clinical expertise of the consultants to make clinical assessments but that not material really.

Can you cite one?

Maybe one that actually carried out proper research, unlike Tavistock?

Tavistock is the thing that lifted the lid on this scandal. I think it's reasonable to reference it.

And of course, is Wes Streeting, who was previously employed by Stonewall as their Education officer, far right?

• Advertisement

Which other bodies are training Irish clinicians and have treated Irish children directly?

AFAIAA, that's only the Tavistock.

So your argument is that Streeting was correct and honest when he said trans women are women, but for some unfathomable reason that is becoming an untenable position to hold (why??) and therefore he is now changing - for purely political reasons? But that he still secretly believes that trans women are women and that children will actually die if he does what he has said he will do?

You don't see a problem with that reading of the timeline?? Not least the horrifying deliberate decision to cause harm for his own career - as well as there being no explanation for why public opinion would be changing in that way if that approach were actually making life better for everyone.

Because the alternative reading is: some years back, when there was a lot less awareness of the whole question among the general public, Streeting and the Labour Party generally took on a clearly nonsensical view because the activists around him that it was the right thing to do, so he decided, for political reasons, that it was better to go with the flow? Only since then, more information has come out as more and more children have been pushed onto the transition pathway, and now it has become much harder to continue ignoring reality - especially since the Cass report?

If there's a flaw in that reading of events, please do tell me - but with evidence rather than your usual unevidenced assertions.

I love these tet-e-tet's but I can see that I am starting to distress some people when I hold my beliefs counter to their own so I am going to bow out again until a relevant change occurs to the situation, ie when the high court delivers its verdict on the legality of the ban.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You're correct when what you say is your beliefs because it's not reality.

This will not happen full stop, you also mentioned denying puberty blocker being challenged in the Courts, I for one would look forward to this as the people experimenting on the children will have to pay for their ideology driven experimentation.

The Courts will only allow a medical protocol that is evidence based which puberty blocker are not, the damage puberty blockers do to the brain of children has now caused major concern in Dutch medical settings, the fact the dutch protocols were done in conjunction with WPATH standard of care 2018 has prompted a thorough review of the protocol which has been deemed to be inconsistent with the highest standards for determining selection of candidates for research trials which do irreversible damage.

Actually, I've been here all along, sitting in the corner, paying careful attention to all contributions. There's no party atmosphere, thankfully, it's far too serious for that. The discussion I've seen has taken two broad forms: i.e. some posters referencing the material in the WPATH files revelations, and the CASS Review, and outlining what they think about one or both, using caseful reasoning that is supported by reliable evidence, while others present arguments along the lines of "that person is a transphobe / anti trans activist" or "that's a political decision", or complaining that a tweet didn't contain a link (jaysus,even a dinosaur llike me can manage a google). I specifically asked you the question because you described yourself as a scientist on another thread.

Your first post on this thread linked to Transgendermap. volchitsa and me have linked videos and transcripts of Emma Hilton on the other thread - a real scientist doing real science. Transgendermap has profiles of Ms. Hilton, Helen Joyce, Mia Hughes, Graham Linehan and others. Each profile describes the subject as an anti-trans activist, or an extreme anti-trans activist, provides a copious list of references to their works, and basically says "this person says a lot of things I don't like or don't agree with". I couldn't find a single syllable that rebutted anything said or written by the targets.

Mind you, when another page on that site makes the following claim you know you're in a very scary place:

Biology

human who works in science is called a scientist. Some of them study life. The study of life is biology. A person who studies biology is a biologist. Some biologists study reproduction. Reproduction is how living things make more living things.

The science of reproduction is going to change a lot by the end of the 21st century. That is why some people are scared of transgender people. They are often scared about what will happen when we can change humans and make new ones using new science.

@Shoog: any thoughts on my question regarding ethics?

I know! I'm probably classified as being far right for throwing out those nasty inconvenient facts which contradict their all-important sacred "beliefs".

• Advertisement

I don’t know if there was any discussion on here about Jolyon Maugham’s (of The Good Law Project) claim to have data proving that the ban on puberty blockers had already caused a massive increase in suicides among young trans people, but he’s just received a massive public slapdown on that from Wes Streeting the new Labour minister for health:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/review-of-suicides-and-gender-dysphoria-at-the-tavistock-and-portman-nhs-foundation-trust/review-of-suicides-and-gender-dysphoria-at-the-tavistock-and-portman-nhs-foundation-trust-independent-report

Turns out it’s complete nonsense.

Unsurprisingly.

The specific aim is to examine evidence for a large rise in suicides claimed by campaigners.

Summary of conclusions

The data do not support the claim that there has been a large rise in suicide in young gender dysphoria patients at the Tavistock.

The way that this issue has been discussed on social media has been insensitive, distressing and dangerous, and goes against guidance on safe reporting of suicide.

The claims that have been placed in the public domain do not meet basic standards for statistical evidence.

There is a need to move away from the perception that puberty-blocking drugs are the main marker of non-judgemental acceptance in this area of health care.

The report actually refers to the GLP and their irresponsible behaviour in making up these claims.

Advertisement