Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread Nov 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If she got the face bitten off her it would serve her right.

The one and only spokesman for Rooorald Oirland is on Newstalk speedial, the bould Healy Rae is on nearly every second day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I mean half the country lives in Dublin in fairness and most rural folk will at least visit at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

He's more alien to me than Dublin is in fairness. There's a narrative that Ireland is just Dublin and bog farmers with nothing in between.

They were talking about Guards in Dublin again today btw. Regardless of whether you think all things Dublin should be discussed, some topics are just boring and repetitive at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Again, the news bit there had something about celebrities and politicians going to India for a rich person's wedding.

What in the name of jesus is that in the news headlines for??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,791 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

turned on Moncrieff to listen to the 'TV on the Radio', but to my horror stephenie preisner is on instead of him, talking about misogyny for a change ..

Think Sean will be off for a bit so we are stuck with Ms Whiny or Stand In on shuffle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,263 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Moncrieff is insufferable. High time a new presenter was sought for that slot, the constant sniggering he goes on with grates on me something awful, like Beavis and Buttheads Galwegian cousin.

He does have a high opinion of himself, but I find him fine most of the time. I lasted about 2 minutes of priesner before turning off. only person to have me turn off as fast is d'arcy

He gets on his high horse when triggered but I do enjoy the wry sense of humour, Priesner doesn't appear to have a sense of humour installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

Agree with this….I normally like the TV on the Radio slot but jesus it was a hard listen yesterday. Very serious interrogation of a very light subject matter. Listened to about half and gave up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭RINO87

Her life is too hard to have a sense of humour. Gets an awful raw deal with everything does our Stefanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Is she the wan that's trying to monetise her (recently diagnosed) autism?

also shilling stuff from amazon, for a percentage of course !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Good cop bad cop on a whole new level this morning.

Ciara saying how bad the weather is this summer and Shane saying he didnt think it was too bad

What planet is he living on !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

The usual taking up opposite sides on a topic to generate responses.

can't stand the pair of them, or their 'banter'

Coleman talked before about his time on the London building sites, and how his biggest regret was not calling out other lads for making sexist jokes or remarks. Not sure what is more laughable, him on a building site, or the reaction he would have got for 'calling out' other lads on the site.

he was probably the Nipper on the site making tea @& running for messages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Coleman is alright,a serious journalist and a political nerd.

The other half is getting more and more annoying in fairness.

• Advertisement

I would imagine a relative in London got him some sort of summer job, where he lasted less than a week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Didnt he say a while back that he and a friend used to skive off during the day and got paid for the whole time he was on site? He said that about a month ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,686 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Who is doing the Sunday show now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

A fantastic final yesterday that everyone was talking about and coleman on this morning whinging about the National Anthem and people not respecting it, players moving before it finished and crowd cheering during last line

FFS go away Coleman and get a grip, always something to whinge about,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

He's a FF/FG supporter whose father-in-law is former minister Dermot Ahern.

Everything from Coleman comes from FF/FG and he hates anyone who is not FF/FG.

It's in the GAA's own rules that players should stand to attention respectfully for the Anthem.

Interestingly a texter said GAA teams from NI make more of an effort to sing and respect it than in the 26 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I still remember decades ago Dublin league match up in Omagh.

Before the Amhrán na bhFiann was played the fella on the Healy Park Stadium speaker made an announcement.

In slightly threatening tone he said "Here up in Tyrone GAA we respect the entirety of our National Anthem. Please do not cheer out until the entire anthem is finished, thank you"

My reaction was f**king hell you wouldn't hear that in Croke Park! But the gas thing is sure most of them don't even sing/know the words to Amhrán na bhFiann. The Irish language and Anthem is purely symbolic in NI in particular.

It is a sh!te tune let's be honest, at best in any ground they half mumble it. Compare that to how the Scots belt out "Flower of Scotland", the French belt out "La Marseillaise", and the English belt out "God Save the King".

The only time Amhrán na bhFiann was ever belted out was when Ireland played in England in Rugby in Croke Park for the first time. That was a rare exception.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Every country's anthem is symbolic, I'm not sure what you are getting at. Maybe you were piqued because they took it seriously and we do not.

It's not "craic", or meant to be a drinking song. Most people here don't know it here either, lethargically mumbling through it. And again, it's in the organisation's rules, but following rules here was never a strong point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

By symbolic I mean the majority of Irish people do not treat the Irish language as a language of communication (as a language should be used) they treat the language itself as a background symbol at best.

The majority of Irish people are lazy gits/hypocrites when it comes to the Irish language happy to have bits and pieces of the Irish language "Echoes" of it. Symbolism. And this symbolism is even worse in NI than the ROI. It is the hypocrisy of it that gets me.

The other key point is most national anthems around the world sing their anthem in the language that predominately used as the main language of communication in the country.

Amhrán na bhFiann was originally written in English, let's not forget. Plus I think the real reason that the GAA players during the Hurling final did not "respect" the anthem because it is hard for them to buy into.

1. It is not in their first language
    2. It is not a catchy tune (hardly going to fire them up for the match when the vast majority in the ground half mumble it)
    3. The match was more important to them

That is the truth of it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement