Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I wonder were the OTB lads watching the documentary on RTE last night about the Olympic athletes. Specifically when they followed Kellie Harrington in the aftermath of the ambush on OTB. She spoke of the mental health issues she suffered after that interview, how she withdrew in herself and reached a very low point.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Petermc83

i find the sound quality quite poor some evenings when i listen to the show in the car. Like an echo or it keeps jumping on me.. does anyone else have a similar problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭robo

Ive been thinking about that Kellie Harrington interview the last while with the pending Olympics - Kellie was media friendly for the previous Olympics, doing loads of interviews. So what will OTB do - will she do another interview with them on the Olympics?

Also was she treated unfairly? She was on to talk about her sponsorship deal with Spar at the time, to promote what Spar were doing in the community (can't remember all the details)

But Shane was probing her regarding her tweet (it wasn't X yet) - should he? Would any of the other interviewers had done the same, how would Joe have dealt with her insisting she didn't want to discuss it.

As OTB talk a lot about mental health etc - should they address this, either with or without Kellie's input?

Can they be all about mental health & discussing all things in it & then ignore the fact that the interview on their show caused Kellie such turmoil?

Or is this Kellie's fault - she tweeted it & should be able to take it

I don't have answers but wonder what others think - is it all OTBs fault? And what should they now do, leave it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

He asked her questions about something she had said on twitter. What's wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭ec18

personally I think it was a cheap shot by them. The interview was set up as a fluff piece about the community @ spar. Dropping that in and pushing it over and over, then doing the rounds defending yourself on the network.

Everyones entitled to their opinion on it but I'll always think of it as a cheap shot for easy controversy / publicity from OTB

• Advertisement

I disagree. Having a simple puff piece for a sponsor shouldn't be allowed, there should be some proper journalism too. And she posted something publicly on her twitter account so should be able to stand over it.

And did the fella who asked the question stand over his sexist, racist and anti disability posts?

I have no idea. I assume these are separate issues? Not defending his posts, I don't know what they are - but that's just whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Joe leaving 14th August, that’s a massive blow, he’s the best one on OTB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭sub3wannabe

I called this in a post recently. He has come across as increasingly disinterested which is unusual for him as he was by far the most talented member of the staff.

Kind of feels like OTB is dying. The gamble to go subscription model by Ger has backfired.

Stick a fork in it. Was a good run.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Messi19

Rip OTB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Disastrous for the show. He is a vastly superior presenter than anyone else there, and one of the main reasons I tune in. He did seem to be on less and less recently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You get a sesne that they are desperate when they are shilling the sub the whole time. Joe is better than that. The indo gig will be a lot easier.

Disaster for OTB, be like Kerry losing the Clifford's to Aussie Rules. Not surprising though when you factor in his work with Virgin Media and a young family, I'd say it's a long slog roughly 1-10 for the lads working on the evening show.

Post edited by Billy Ocean on

Between the sub and the cash machine its become absolutely pathetic lately. I'm assuming they're struggling financially. To be honest with the way social media has developed a rigid 3 hour sports show like that isn't really viable anymore. I wouldn't be shocked if it folded.

Big loss to OTB. Hopefully the new pod with the Indo will be free when it launches (I assume it will?)

They should put up the infamous Rooster interview as a podcast again.

Huge, possibly fatal loss, while I don't listen as often as I used to and Joe grated a bit, he was by far the best presenter they had. Heard him fill in on The Hard Shoulder recently. When you look at who else has been filling in on that show and The Last Word, there could be regular "fill in" work for him on current affairs shows also.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭FazyLucker

I did say a while ago that I reckoned Joe Molloy would eventually go solo and do his own stuff. He is by a country mile their best presenter and a huge loss to Off The Ball. Only himself and Will O'Callaghan are real "presenters" in my view. The rest are the sort of lads who would be selling wellies at the Ploughing Championships.

With a young family being away every evening must be very tough so no surprise this has happened.

His ambitions surely extend beyond Off The Ball and sports chatter in general so this is probably his first sojourn onto more mainstream radio. The likes of Pat Kenny will be retiring in a few years so there's loads of opportunities out there. He did well on The Hard Shoulder lately and quite frankly he is too good for a 7-10pm slot when numbers are probably small compared to many other shows.

Agree re Will O'Callaghan. By far the next best and would like to see him get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I remember someone sent me this exact message when the Second Captains left.

In fairness all I think most shows on Newstalk and maybe Today FM too have that Cash machine thing and they're always going to plug the subscriptions, Second Captains on their free shows are even worse.

I'd imagine it will like the rugby and GAA pods they already have.

Yeah he's by far the best they have in terms of overall knowledge and a good presenter, realistically the options are him, moving Eoin Sheahan from the morning show or Nathan Murphy which I would really hope wouldn't happen as he can be insufferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Hopefully!

But how do podcasts without a paywall get by ?

Surely they either need subscription money or need to play a lot of ads. Is there another option ? Like would the Indo do them as publicity for the newspaper or something

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

it will be all ads I assume

Sponsorship, ads or else the podcast itself is used to drive traffic to the paper.

He seems almost too talented not to try current affairs. I thought he was pretty good on hard shoulder last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Joe will be massive loss

He is very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Joe would be the only reason I might have considered the subscription but when he's not on every day, like the way the Second Captains are on every episode bar holidays, then I thought a tenner a month for listening to obnoxious blokey banter from Ger Gilroy or Nathan Murphy or "JD"? Not a hope.

Advertisement