Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Brilliant from Shane. Hopefully he gets the best of the conditions when he goes out in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lets just hope he doesn't have one of those bad days.

He practiced at Royal Troon instead of playing the Scottish Open, looks like it was a really smart decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭mooz

Great round by Shane, short game looks really impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Great round by Lowry, if he can keep his putter in-check for the next 3 days, he's in with a serious chance. He lives for this type of golf, using natural talent to shape and manoeuvre the ball at different flights. He's one of the best around at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭techdiver

Strong start again. -2 after 4. Up to -7 with a 1 shot lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

putting a bit off today though.

If he stays at -6 that should be ok because the wind has picked up a bit.

lovely tee shot on the par3 8th.

Around 10ft left

and rolls it in the centre of the cup to bring him to -7!

Maybe he can improve on -6!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭abff

Disappointing miss on the 10th after an amazing second shot. Hopefully it won’t affect his confidence over the remaining holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

On 10 you mean...11 is turning into hopefully only a hiccup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Serious trouble here some knobhead found the ball after he hit provisional ball

that’s bizarre

He’s been penalised because someone found his ball?

He clearly wouldn’t have hit that approach as a provisional

What am i missing?

I'm very confused to whats happening here.

Still sharing the lead. But what a head wrecker!

What exactly happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

He hit second into gorse as he was in high grass that wrapped club. He named a provisionel but some clown found ball in gorse so oriv was counted too my head is mashed

He hit his drive into the rough. His second shot hooked into some bushes. He played a provisional, which he hit to around 12 feet. Then someone managed to find his ball in the bush.

So he had to declare it unplayable and go back in a direct line away from the hole. He would have had to go to 170 yards from the hole if he wanted to drop the ball on the fairway. So he dropped it in the rough around 120 yards from the hole with a blind shot to the green.

He managed to hit his approach shot just short of the green. He got down in two more for a double bogey. Without the helpful intervention from the gentleman who found his ball, he would have had a 12 footer for bogey.

He also had a rant at a fan blaming him or her for the wayward shot. Had a few expletives in there

He's getting a bit of a reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭big_drive

Main thing here is for Shane to move on, he's still in the lead, that's the main thing. He will be annoyed but there's bound to be a few of those moments at some stage, everyone is getting it at some time in their round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Fantastic! Great birdie to finish.

Being grumpy, especially when things aren't going his way

Great putt to finish with a birdie there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

great response to the double bogey. He will lead going into the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭big_drive

Excellent, got his knock where things could have gone very wrong but responded well. Overall a super round. Can approach the weekend with confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭coillcam

Nice to see him settle after that wobble and pull it back together. A bit of maturity and resolve that hasn't always been the case. Great to see him putting so well. That TM spider has been transformational alongside his work with Sweeney and Rotella

They could run out of Guinness in the midlands if he keeps this up.

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think it was a fan, think it was a photographer or one of the tv camera people?

In all likelihood he’ll lead by at least a couple of shots. But you never know with golf.

Very impressed by his reaction to the double on the 11th. It's been a big weakness for him this season getting steamed up after a mistake and ending up making a mess of the next hole. Today he kept the head down and ploughed on and got his just rewards at the end of the round.

• Advertisement

It wasn't with a fan. It was with the camera man, I'd be piss*d off too if I could see someone move and encroach on me at the last second in that incident. There's an Open championship and over 4m dollars on the line FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

He's 2 fairly boring rounds score-wise from winning I think. If he got to -11, that'd be good enough. Amazing position to be in considering the likely tough conditions that'll limit low scores in the chasers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭paulos53

Great recovery by Shane after the double bogey on 11.

To be honest he should have got an additional 1 shot penalty for slow play. I read that he was timed at 20 minutes between his 2nd and 4th shots (with a provisional in between). There is no excuse for that delay for such a basic ruling.

Everyone seems to be struggling today, but the wind doesn't look as bad over the weekend. But I agree to an extent, I don't see anyone going super low over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dublin49

massive advantage to late/early starters,Rose will probably be the only late starter today in top 20 at end of the day.

Thems the breaks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭paulos53

He spent a lot of time deciding on where he would take his drop.
    I doubt the groups standing on the tee watching him were too impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

Sure if he didn’t hit it well he’d be thankful for finding it. You can’t win.

He has a nice cushion as don’t expect rose to last the pace. Really needs Scottie and xander to burst through tomorrow to put pressure on him or could be like 2019 and just ahead enough not to feel the pressure from behind

not sure many would agree with you on wanting Scottie & Xander to burst through,imagine it doesnt mean as it reads,

Sorry. I mean I think Shane wins like 2019 where nobody put pressure on him to test him and I think them two are the only ones around who are capable of doing it.

Nothing to do with wanting them to do it. I’m just saying how I think the weekend might play out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Really thought Shane would lose the plot after the double. I also hated his new putting methods. But he has managed to hold himself together. And his driving/long iron play is deadly

• Advertisement

Haven’t seen much of Rose in recent years. But he is a former Major winner and was second in this in 2018. I’m obviously hoping Shane wins and was wondering about Rose and is he a threat? How do you mean you don’t expect him to last the pace? Is he past his best and likely to get tired?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Panrich

The forecast is for lighter winds for the next couple of days. That will favour others like Scheffler more than Shane. That said, he has the score on the board and two more rounds in the 60's might just get it done.

one top 10 this year. 6 mc from 16 events. Nothing that would frighten Shane. If it was Scottie then I expect Shane would be waiting for Scottie to hit a good run of holes

Shane rarely has 4 good rounds but no matter what tomorrow brings he shud be in the mix for Sunday,which is all us fans would want on Thursday.Do we want him getting further ahead and all the pressure that brings or be lurking 1 or 2 behind with his bad bounce round behind him,not sure but thrilled hes in the mix.

yes of course further ahead of at all possible. At Portrush he was 4 ahead of Tommy Fleetwood starting the final round and he never looked under pressure on that final day. I think he can use that experience to good effect if he starts the 4th round in the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭riddles

he was a tad unfortunate with 33 and 54ft putts that didn’t and one short one Friday but that’s golf he got a few fortunate bounces too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Rose has really been the best player over the first two rounds considering the draw. Don't think form really comes into it. I think Rose stays in touch until the back 9 on Sunday. He is sticky like that. Whether he can hold his nerve to win his home open is another thing. I think he's had his opportunities over the years and never got it done.

As of now I still think he's the main threat.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Crazy how late in the day they're teeing off, no doubt decided by the yanks.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Xander10

Don't think Rose has put together 4 good rounds in an age. His putting seldom holds up

• Advertisement
Advertisement